Buying a Dieselgate car from VWOA in May of 2021?

KIWIPOP

TDI
2015 Golf SE
Still missing my 2015 TDI that I turned in so I dropped by the two VW Dealers in my area (SoCal) just to ask what is out there. Sort of toying with the idea of buying another TDI Golf now that they have been modified. The first Dealer very strongly assured me that there is NOT any possibility of buying such a vehicle and how about looking at this use TSI gas car? Voted with my feet. The second dealer treated me like I had offered to purchase his ten year old Daughter.
Anyone know if the Dieselgate buybacks are available and if so where? Oh, I also called VWOA customer relations number. Nope!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VW branded dealers love to sell pre leased 1-3 year old models or something they can slap a CPO sticker on and pocket another 2-3K. None of those are happening on TDIs, let alone TDIs in California. Used car dealers will be the way to go to find a 6-7 year old car.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
the newest NA market TDIs are now out of the the 5 year CPO window so other than the random trade-in, you're not going to find them @ the dealer.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I would be amazed if either is still unsold.

KIWIPOP

TDI
2015 Golf SE
the newest NA market TDIs are now out of the the 5 year CPO window so other than the random trade-in, you're not going to find them @ the dealer.
Thanks. I believe you are dead right. If the extra $$$$ of making them CPO is not there the dealer loses interest real fast.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Thanks, certainly not the great bargains folks are talking about online though.
As Lightflyer1 said, if you want a great deal: don't be afraid of higher millage, get fluent in Dieselgate and warranty, understand when the 2 part fix was applied; be ready to travel far; be quick to pull the trigger.

I got my 2015 GSW in Kansas City, I live in Michigan, with something like 110k miles for around $11k, 2nd part fix very recently done. Got my 2015 Passat in Pennsylvania with something like 80k miles, 2nd part fix not done, something like $10k.

GWS was in excellent shape, even cosmetically. The Passat I spent a few days detailing myself, and even contemplated changing the carpet, but solid mechanically.

loukytdi

TDI
1979 Rabbit Diesel, 1982 Caddy Diesel, 1997 Passat ALH TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta ALH TDI Wagon, 2012 Audi A3, Black, Titanium Package, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI, 2013 Audi A3 8P (all sold), 2015 Golf SE 6M TDI

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is a manual for one, but still won't get that price if you ask me. Doubt anyone but VW would make that loan either. If a specific person that wanted it and had cash it might sell.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
people will loan you money for anything, they adjust the APR of that loan so there is zero risk on their end. Simple economics and dealers will always find financing that lets you leave with the car, that's their number one job.

It's up to you to realize it's a crap deal and move on, but I'm sure they will find someone who will negotiate them down to 19.5K and think they got a killer deal on it.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
I have as many unsolicited offers to sell mine as i get on my S2000... There was a white one on CL here a few months back stick and all.. don't think they knew what they had I wanted to buy and flip

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Forgot to mention that both my 2015 GSW and Passat are 6M equipped...yes, it took a long time browsing all sites.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
You might have to fly one way out of state if a great deal pops up. Not the same, but I flew one way to California on two occasions for a Mk4 Golf with an ALH (one was a trade-in at a dealer). Mom flew one way to Pennsylvania for her CPO 2014 New Beetle Convertible TDI, after purchasing her 2015 GSW TDI locally at a dealership.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You also might have to fly round trip. I have had to come back empty handed 3 times looking for cars. Book the round trip and then if you don't use it you may get a refund or credit. Better than nothing or paying a sky high price to return when the car doesn't measure up.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Vw cpo is 6 model years, so 2015 is the oldest model year that is currently certifiable. My local dealer hasn’t had a TDI in a year.