Buying a 2015 Passat after its sat for several years

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I found a VW dealership in Wisconsin which has a 2015 Passat 6mt SE it was a one owner car, turned in for the buyback and sat for the last several years. Its low mileage at 32,000 and VW is offering the 2yr unlimited mileage warranty. Is it safe to assume VW has replace brakes, tires and all fluids? This car aswell as thousands of others sat outside for the past 3 years. Just wondering what to expect for protentional problems down the road after purchase.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
fuel tank! it MUST be cleaned. my 2014 JSW sat 2 years, bought on Sept 2018 at 20k miles and 6 months and 5k miles later with 5 hpfp failures, fuel tank was checked and found to be caked in mold/mildew. don't suffer like me please........

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
ok wow thats excellent advice, thank you. I have access to a lift at my parents house, I wonder how hard that would be to do myself...?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Oil filter, fuel filter, pollen filter more than likely yes. Tires depends on age and tread depth, check the dot# on the tires there should be a series of numbers and letters ending with 4 numbers (unless the tire was put on where they are on the inside), the last 4 digits will be the week and year they were produced. Brakes depends on the condition of the brakes, vw maintained the cars and drove them once a month, so for most of them the brakes were fine. Easiest answer is to ask to see the certification paperwork and what was done to the vehicle.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Welcome. I know for sure the fuel tank would be located in the rear seat on my JSW. Passat should be the same. looked it up. be careful, it can be messy. if she drives great then drive away. make sure you floor the gas pedal. if she stutters then throws a CEL and flashing glow plug light then there you go. That's what happened to me.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
those are for you to be aware of but yours being a 2015, HPFP are far less fragile than 2009-14's.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Oil filter, fuel filter, pollen filter more than likely yes. Tires depends on age and tread depth, check the dot# on the tires there should be a series of numbers and letters ending with 4 numbers (unless the tire was put on where they are on the inside), the last 4 digits will be the week and year they were produced. Brakes depends on the condition of the brakes, vw maintained the cars and drove them once a month, so for most of them the brakes were fine. Easiest answer is to ask to see the certification paperwork and what was done to the vehicle.
I wasn't aware the cars were driven, makes me feel better. I pulled a CarFax report on the 2 cars im considering and each now have more miles on them then when they were titled in Michigan when they were turned in. I guess the difference in mileage is what was put on them when they were being excersized each month

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...vw maintained the cars and drove them once a month, so for most of them the brakes were fine...
Where did you hear this? Over the last few years, I have regularly been driving by several huge lots of TDIs near the port facility here in Baltimore, and I can assure you that the cars were packed in so tightly that there was no way they were being maintained or driven on a monthly basis.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Battery, chances are that it is still the original battery from back in 2015. Look for the stamped date in the case, or a sticker, or stamped on one of the terminals.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Since this was a manual Passat TDI, correct me if I am wrong, but there was no "dieselgate fix" for these cars and therefore no extended warranty under that program. The 2 year warranty is certainly better than nothing. As a plus, you won't suffer from the significant mpg drop that the fix caused the DSG Passats. See if you can get the selling dealer to completely flush and clean the fuel tank and lines and replace the fuel filter before you drive away. If the tank is fouled, you will have problems in short order.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I have a 6MT Passat and 6MT Golf Sportswagon, both have dieselgate fixes and extended warranties.

I do agree with a tank and lines flush/clean.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Since this was a manual Passat TDI, correct me if I am wrong, but there was no "dieselgate fix" for these cars and therefore no extended warranty under that program. The 2 year warranty is certainly better than nothing. As a plus, you won't suffer from the significant mpg drop that the fix caused the DSG Passats. See if you can get the selling dealer to completely flush and clean the fuel tank and lines and replace the fuel filter before you drive away. If the tank is fouled, you will have problems in short order.
You are thinking of gen 2 (12-14s) those were not resold. The gen 3 (2015) were fixed and resold, i have a friend with one.

As far as driven and maintained, i have dealership connections :)

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I sold my 2014 Passat 6mt back to VW because it had no fix. I took the money and bought my 2015 Passat mt which has a fix and extended warranty on the engine and emission systems.

I'm amazed a 2015 Passat 6mt is still available. That car is a unicorn. The demand for any VW TDI with a manual transmission was always high. My 2015 was sold back to VW in late 2016 or early 2017. I bought it in Oct of 2017 so it didn't sit too long. At that time VW was going through the buy-back cars and cherry picking out the newer and nicer ones. The cars did get a monthly drive around the lots to keep the fluids circulated. There was some prep work before the cars were turned over to the dealers for resale. Prep work was fluid changes and brakes & tires if needed.

My car came with new wheels with used Hankooks (~70% tread). I didn't check the brakes. In late 2019 I had a front caliper stick which wore down the pads and rotor on that side. My local garage easily freed up the caliper. There was still plenty of pad life on the other side but I went ahead and had new pads & rotors installed on both side anyway (from IDParts). I even got fancy and installed stainless steel brake hoses while the brakes were all apart.

Diverb, the dealer should be able to tell you what prep work was done to the car before VW turned it was turned over for resale. I'm not sure about the warranty the dealer is giving you. New, unsold 2015s received a 2-year warranty. Because my car was used (18k miles when I bought it) I received an 11 year or 160k mile warranty on the engine and emission system.

There should be an emission sticker on the hood near the cowl area stating VW gave the car the emission fix. It should look something like this.

:)

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Then your "dealership connections" are feeding you BS. Our '15 GSW had clear evidence of a mouse nest. I thoroughly inspected all of the wiring and only found some missing fabric chewed through, but all of the wire insulation was intact

As far as driven and maintained, i have dealership connections :)

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Check with the dealer and see if a factory extended warranty is available. You can usually buy them here in Canada until the original stock warranty expires. With a def diesel + the sitting for a couple of years, a bumper to bumper vw warranty is worth the money, if available. I bought a 7 year 270,000 km warranty when I bought my new 2015 mt in 2017.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i'd be shocked if they changed out pads and rotors just to sell the car. Tires that are out of round sure, but not pads and rotors.

moon1234

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI DSG
I found a VW dealership in Wisconsin which has a 2015 Passat 6mt SE it was a one owner car, turned in for the buyback and sat for the last several years. Its low mileage at 32,000 and VW is offering the 2yr unlimited mileage warranty. Is it safe to assume VW has replace brakes, tires and all fluids? This car aswell as thousands of others sat outside for the past 3 years. Just wondering what to expect for protentional problems down the road after purchase.
Your probably looking at Hall in Milwaukee. They specialized in buying 6MT TDIs. I bought a 2015 Passat SE 6MT from them in September of 2019. I have put 30K miles on it since them. Only problem was the camshaft seal went out. Zimbrick VW in Middleton found it during an oil change. It was not leaking onto the ground, rather into the plastic belly cover. VW paid for the whole thing less the CPO $50 deductible. VW paid for all labor, timing belt (oil on it so it had to be replaced.) and the seal. I paid for all the remaining timing belt kit parts out of my pocket so that I would not need a timing belt again until 210K. The remaining parts cost me $400 including the labor. (Tensioner, idler, water pump, bolts, etc.)

The car I bought from Hall was a CPO so it has the 2 year unlimited miles on the entire car. Any TDI you buy from them will have the 2 year unlimited miles bumper to bumper warranty. The only requirement is that the car have less than 75K or 80K miles to qualify for the CPO warranty.

On my car they put new brakes, fluids, wipers, filters, oil change, etc. etc. Mine has Michelin Premier A/S rubber. I was VERY happy about that. Sometimes they put really cheap Geotour or other crappy tires on them. I drove several TDIs with cheap tires and it acts like a completely different vehicle.

The only downside with Hall is that they will not deal at all. Not even $100. If you want a lower price you have to wait for them to drop it and hope it doesn't sell. Because they got so many 6MT, at least they did when I bought mine, they said they did not need to lower the price. People came to them. True to an extent.

My car had 49K on the clock in Sep. 2019. It is a 2015 Passat SE 6MT with beige interior and gold exterior. No extra options. I paid $14,999 plus TTL. The price on the remaining 6MT have gone up quite a bit. There are less available with a CPO warranty.

One thing to watch for is if phase one AND phase two of the emissions modification have been completed. Phase one (and 2A) are just software updates and a NOx sensor. Phase 2B is the replacement of the DPF, SCR and related parts. The 11 year 160K mile warranty starts from the original sale date to a user (the in-service date). When Phase 2B is completed you get an ADDITIONAL 5 years and 60K miles of emissions warranty. It is to your benefit to buy a CPO car that has only the first update done. You can then drive the car for the 11 years, 160K miles and roll in and get phase 2B done and then get an additional 5 years and 60K miles. If you play your cars right you can have an emissions warranty for 15 years or 220K miles from the original in-service date.

Any bad things that would happen to the car from sitting will show up within the first couple years and be covered by the CPO warranty. After that expires you have a LONG emissions warranty after that. The 2015 cars really are the very best bang for the buck on the used market. Hall knows this and is selling cars that meet this accordingly.

I am happy with my car. I think I got an "OK" deal when I bought the car. It was not a great price, but I don't feel ripped off either.

I was so happy with the Passat TDI that I bought an 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus TDI with almost every option package this May from another dealer in Milwaukee. That car is not a CPO, but it does get the same fantastic emissions warranty (Dual phases with the the warranty extension at the 2nd phase). I bough that car with 15K miles on the clock for 16.9K. It had an original sticker price of 43K. THAT was an amazing deal. It is worth more today with 10K more miles on it than when I bought it. It is a MUCH nicer vehicle for about the same price. It is just small. So it is used for the "fun" commuting.

Good luck. I don't think you have anything to worry about if it is a CPO. If you drive it for a year and decide you don't like it, it should be easy to sell since the CPO will transfer. My guess is you won't want to sell it. I have more worries about what I will buy when my Passat wears out. The Accord is the only big mid-size sedan still sold with a 6MT. It is NOT as enjoyable as the Passat and I surely won't be getting mid 40's MPG from Honda.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Is it safe to assume VW has replace brakes, tires and all fluids?
No, it is not safe to assume because Vw does not require the deaership to replace the brakes. The tires do not NEED to be replaced unless they are less than 4/32" tread depth, and vw does not require any fluid to be replaced other than a regular oil change.

There are dealerships that will replace that stuff and will pad the price of the car. But none of that is required.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
Mine received the 20k service before I took delivery. They gave it new pads and resurfaced the rotors. Lousy job on the rotors transmitted a vibration to the wheel, so I had to buy new rotors after the fact. Try to force them to put new tires on it too. Look for dry rot. They will try to cover it up with a heavy dose of tire shine. Fuel tank sounds like a good idea too. I never thought of that...but I suppose you could pull a sample to see if any algae comes up. Look around the engine bay carefully for signs if rodents. I pulled the engine cover before the first test drive and found a nest right under it. It was funny to watch the salesman squirm when I found that one. Not one salesperson exists whom you can trust. Hold their feet to the fire.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
@moon1234 , Yep I bought at Hall. I actually pulled the trigger on a 2015 Golf SE, and your right, they didnt budge even a $100 on the price. Overall easy buying experience. Sales guy picked me up at the airport, had both cars I was interested in ready to go. I drove both up the street, stopped and ran my VAGCOMS scan to see if there was anything hidden. I liked the Golf driving experience more. I made it back to Michigan with a 1/4 tank of diesel remaining!

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Late to the party but .....

I have a part-time gig at a large auto auction in Virginia. We had a contract with VW in which we stored a large number (hundreds) of pre-conversion Diesel cars, then later installed the "fixes". While in storage, on a monthly basis, EVERY car was inspected, oil and tires checked and driven at least a mile including a run on our test track (fun!).

I would have no problem buying one of those cars, in fact I did a 2014 JSW. So far it is one of the most trouble-free cars I have ever had.