Buying 10 Gen 1 TDI's

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I hear of people buying and selling 10-20+ of these TDI's. I would like to know if anyone has experienced any flak from VW, or anyone else for that matter. It appears that anyone able to purchase multiple cars and profit from them would be considered a good business man or an opportunist, others may disagree.

If YOU could buy 10 Gen 1 3.0 TDI's for $20K each ($200,000), strictly from dealer lots and profit by $10K on each ($100,000 profit), would you do it? Of course this is a simplification, but a 50% ROI is unheard of, and possible if a guy is willing to pony up the cash. How about a profit of $5K each for a return of 25%?

I specified buying from dealerships to remove the risk of deception in regards to diesel gate, as dealerships are not eligible for buyback money.

Wat say you?

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
VW doesn't care, the losses from the buyback are a sunk cost at this point - they just want enough cars off the road that they don't have to pay penalties.

Non-VW dealerships are eligible for the buyback.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
If I could, sure. I already bought a few 2-liter TDIs to sell back, and am doing considerably better than 50% ROI on them. I don't think the returns are going to be as good on the 3-liter TDIs, but I'm sure there's money to be made there. Be aware that Eligible Former Owners' claims can reduce your payment, though.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I hear of people buying and selling 10-20+ of these TDI's. I would like to know if anyone has experienced any flak from VW, or anyone else for that matter. <snip>
Why would anyone care? Certainly not VW— why should they care where they come from or who's turning them in? And the legal settlement says nothing about turning in more than one vehicle, so the sky's the limit. And Judge Breyer stated early on that a main, if not the main purpose of this whole program had to be to get the offending vehicles off the road. And this does that.

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
An interesting twist I was just made aware of in regards to acquiring these cars for purpose of profit...

Some of the auto auctions have now made agreements with VW not to list the cars and will be direct sales back to VW. This has me very curious and I know no details only that VW is cutting the supply off from many of the buyers via the auctions. I would assume the purchase amounts to be close to buyback, but they skip the whole buyback process dealing with owners like us.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
An interesting twist I was just made aware of in regards to acquiring these cars for purpose of profit...

Some of the auto auctions have now made agreements with VW not to list the cars and will be direct sales back to VW. This has me very curious and I know no details only that VW is cutting the supply off from many of the buyers via the auctions. I would assume the purchase amounts to be close to buyback, but they skip the whole buyback process dealing with owners like us.
Interesting, where did you get this info?

They are still popping up on Mannheim every single day for me. Granted, the same 2 or 3 dealerships buy them at prices with minimal profit (I've seen Duvall Ford buy 10+ cars at only ~$1200 profit), but they are still coming up on the block.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
If I could, sure. I already bought a few 2-liter TDIs to sell back, and am doing considerably better than 50% ROI on them. I don't think the returns are going to be as good on the 3-liter TDIs, but I'm sure there's money to be made there. Be aware that Eligible Former Owners' claims can reduce your payment, though.
Big lawyer don't you cry poor! You should have more resources than anybody else here;)

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Any way to find out in advance?
Certainly not before May 1, since that's the deadline for Eligible Former Owners to register themselves/their cars for their benefits. And even some of them might not be eligible. I'd be surprised if we knew anything on that front before July, but that's just a guess.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Certainly not before May 1, since that's the deadline for Eligible Former Owners to register themselves/their cars for their benefits. And even some of them might not be eligible. I'd be surprised if we knew anything on that front before July, but that's just a guess.
If nobody REGISTERS as the eligible former owner for a car, the new owner is good.

Almost all eligible registerers will claim, that's for sure.

VW knows that.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Only about half of eligible sellers of 2-liter TDIs registered. But the window is open longer for the 3-liters.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
I'm certain those one-off deals are occasionally popping up, but overall seems like prices are far too high.

I know someone had mentioned that auction house prices were closing at above the buyback amount in some cases.

Car guys/dealers all seem to want in on the action now... Fear of missing out is a serious mental health syndrome.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Saw a 2010 Treg with 110K go for $13,8 today. Plenty of room on that one for a profit. Missed it by 30 minutes.

Max Power

TDI
On #8
The way I read the eligibility section, any previous owner who sold after May 28, 2016 isn't entitled to any compensation. So if you were to buy one today, you would get the compensation for either the buyback or the fix in full. Am I understanding that correctly? What if the previous owner already scheduled a buyback but doesn't wasn't to wait for three months and sells? I would assume that if you register it in your name and redo the VW claim, then is your deal.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
The way I read the eligibility section, any previous owner who sold after May 28, 2016 isn't entitled to any compensation. So if you were to buy one today, you would get the compensation for either the buyback or the fix in full. Am I understanding that correctly?
Your understanding is correct only if you assume that you're buying from the original owner. I also don't think you have that date correct, but I haven't checked right now.

Max Power

TDI
On #8
Thanks Dan. I got the date wrong, it's June 28, 2016. I also believe that it doesn't have to be the original owner as long as the owner you buy from purchased it before September 18, 2015. In that case you would still get the full compensation.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm certain those one-off deals are occasionally popping up, but overall seems like prices are far too high.

I know someone had mentioned that auction house prices were closing at above the buyback amount in some cases.

Car guys/dealers all seem to want in on the action now... Fear of missing out is a serious mental health syndrome.
I've seen three in the last three days. Dealerships are getting smart and listing them without price. I called on a 2011 Q7 in Texas 20 minutes ago, no price listed. The sales guy said they took it in on trade last night and he needed to check what it needed for sale. I called him back 15 minutes later and he said that he had "wholesaled" it. I told him don't do that I want it and he said, "Sorry, it's been wholesaled". My guess is that due to the volume of calls he got he got educated real quick. He was very nice the first call, not so much the second call.

Oh well!

TommyGun

TDI
A bumper crop
Thanks Dan. I got the date wrong, it's June 28, 2016. I also believe that it doesn't have to be the original owner as long as the owner you buy from purchased it before September 18, 2015. In that case you would still get the full compensation.
You are referring to the 2.0L settlement timelines, not the 3.0L timelines.

The correct 3.0L dates you are looking for are Sept. 18th, 2015 and January 31st, 2017.

So if you buy a 3.0L after Jan. 31st 2017 from the Sept 18th, 2015 owner, you will be guaranteed the full compensation. Good luck finding one!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
So if you buy a 3.0L after Jan. 31st 2017 from the Sept 18th, 2015 owner, you will be guaranteed the full compensation. Good luck finding one!
Correct.

But, there is still money to be made even if there is a "former"owner in the picture. And there are vehicles available.

TommyGun

TDI
A bumper crop
Correct.
But, there is still money to be made even if there is a "former"owner in the picture. And there are vehicles available.
You must be referring to salvage vehicle or dealer auctions. Profitable Private party and public dealer inventory is zippo. And if something comes up its gone within 15 minutes. So I suppose if you can somehow get a call in on a car that was literally just listed then there are cars available.

There seems to be a double whammy on the 3.0L arbitrage cars - an order of magnitude fewer eligible/affected cars and quadruple the speculators. Everyone wants in now that everyone understands the potential.

Last edited:

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
You can buy 3.0's for profit but it will be tough. Basically you will need to find it immediately once it's list and once you call and find out it's available you will need to ask the dealer for there information for a wire transfer and tell them you are transferring the full cash amount for the vehicle right then. Once you have transfered them the full amount you should be good. Any other type of deal is going to fall through as it will take to long once they check the auction block and see what the cars are rolling through the auction at for cash deals they are not going to hold the car even if you give them a deposit they will call you back an hour or so later and make up some excuse as to why they can not sell you the vehicle. I hope this helps and best of luck.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
so if an individual wants to do this they would have to register the car no? costing money in taxes or can a private person sell one back to VW without doing all of that

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
so if an individual wants to do this they would have to register the car no? costing money in taxes or can a private person sell one back to VW without doing all of that
Yes you must register the car in your name. Good luck finding any right now. There are NONE for sale anywhere in the US right now.

mrahul

TDI
Yes you must register the car in your name. Good luck finding any right now. There are NONE for sale anywhere in the US right now.
Are you sure about the registration part for 3.0 ones too?
I know that for the 2.0 turn in, we had to have the car registered. But I think I read that for the 3.0, just the bill of sale would suffice.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I know that for the 2.0 turn in, we had to have the car registered. But I think I read that for the 3.0, just the bill of sale would suffice.
The 3.0L settlement says to the degree of "safe and LEGAL to drive on public roads".

So yes current registration is needed when turning in.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
You can buy 3.0's for profit but it will be tough. Basically you will need to find it immediately once it's list and once you call and find out it's available you will need to ask the dealer for there information for a wire transfer and tell them you are transferring the full cash amount for the vehicle right then. Once you have transfered them the full amount you should be good. Any other type of deal is going to fall through as it will take to long once they check the auction block and see what the cars are rolling through the auction at for cash deals they are not going to hold the car even if you give them a deposit they will call you back an hour or so later and make up some excuse as to why they can not sell you the vehicle. I hope this helps and best of luck.
Yes, you have to be quick...very quick.

Sales tax and registration will cost $.

Not a single one listed all day.

I believe you are correct, I don't think a registration is required.

The 3.0L settlement says to the degree of "safe and LEGAL to drive on public roads".
So yes current registration is needed when turning in.
Can you please tell me where you found this info, please.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
It's in the 3-liter settlement's definition of "operable". I don't think it's really intended to address the subject of registration, but I could see it being interpreted that way.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Owners whose Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche 3.0-liter TDI vehicle (i) cannot be driven under the power of its own 3.0-liter TDI engine or is in such a condition that it cannot be lawfully driven on public roads, or (ii) had a branded title of assembled, dismantled, flood, junk, rebuilt, reconstructed, or salvage on September 18, 2015, and was acquired from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015;

"or" is the key difference.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
I'm sure this is to prevent dealers from turning in unroadworthy junkers that may still happen to move under their own power.