Buying 00 jetta

dburns65

TDI
2005 passat
I'm no mechanic by any stretch. Just looking at a 2000 jetta tdi with 380km on it. Seller claims the axle needs attention. Thoughts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure what you are expecting as a response. The CV axle is a pretty simple thing. Easily rebuilt OR if it has been replaced with a Chaxle you'll need to find an OEM one and rebuild that (or just keep putting new Chaxles in every 6 months until you tire of it).

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Worst case is seller is not being honest. People are often dishonest when it comes to sex or money.
If you have the patience and time, keep looking for an '02 or '03. Getting old but those are best of breed.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I'm no mechanic by any stretch. Just looking at a 2000 jetta tdi with 380km on it. Seller claims the axle needs attention. Thoughts?
Depends on price, overall condition, and your budget. If you aren't mechanically inclined and you're buying a 20-year-old vehicle you might want to have it pre-inspected by a reputable mechanic who knows VW cars

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
If you are not a mechanic,
you should be shopping for someone local
that you can introduce as "my VW diesel guy".
Before you buy a car like this.
Because you are going to need a good mechanic.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Axles are fairly easy to replace, I say that having replaced several and rebuilt a few also. If you don't do your own work don't buy a 20 year old car. My rule of thumb is if you buy a car from someones yard or driveway, plan on spending an additional $1000 for parts and maintenance, $2000 if you hire it done.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Shoot, it could need several thousand dollars worth of who knows what. Or it could be in fantastic shape.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If you want it, buy it. Expect 100% lies and 100% full maintenance, timing belt to tires and all the fluids, filters and wear items in between.
Plan on $ that and see what happens.

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
All good advice. If you’ve never driven one, at minimum, take someone that has. A nice test drive with someone familiar and you can get an idea of what you got. Even then, count on surprises. Not to scare you away, but give you realistic expectations.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
as long as the timing bel has not skipped, its not leaking oil where ever it parks, not at first glance a pile that needs work, no serious visible rust, and you have $a grand to toss at maintenance and some goodies like tires and inspections ect... and has not been heavily modified, go for it. its a project, so if you have time on your hands then do it, if you value your time and you can't be bothered with a "project" stay away, it will be fairly reliable if you keep up at it, but so will a honda accord or any other cheap beater.