Buyer beware clutch masters fx300 with Whitbread flywheel

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
By chance is your screen name referencing the mighty Dr. Quinn from sealab 2021? World renowned scientist and ladies man. Pod 6 is jerks!

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Please forgive my very limited understanding of this whole B5.5 clutch issue (reading these threads makes my head hurt), but I've got a follow-on question.
Will the DMF/SB above be a direct swap with the Whitbread 240mm flywheel and CM clutch? In other words, will I need a different starter, special spacers, etc.? This is my DD and I need to have everything ahead of time to be able to minimize downtime. Thanks, gentlemen.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hoping some kind soul with lots of knowledge stumbles across my questions so I can order what I need before the CM clutch leaves me stranded. :)

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't see springs on that clutch you posted from south bend. Might not make for a friendly daily driver

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
That flywheel should be 228mm, that is what the 1.8T Audi A4s use therefore you will be able to simply swap the Whitbread 240 single mass flywheel. If you wanted to install a 240mm DMF you will need an euro tdi starter and 5mm bell housing spacer. The 2.0T Audi A4s use a 240mm DMF with the 5mm spacer

You don’t really need dampening in the friction plate as long as you have a DMF.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys. Good info. None of the SB DMF clutches have springs but all the SMF's do so I'm thinking springs may be less important because the DMF helps with dampening. I don't do a ton of stop-and-go driving so I'm not overly concerned about a stiffer pedal. Because I don't know a lot about the tune that the PO did, I'm not sure how much torque I'm generating. The Stage 3 is rated for 395 ft-lbs. (versus the 285 of the Stage 2) so it's probably a safer bet.

As a side note, the Whitbread solid flywheel with the 300FX is rated at 425 ft-lbs. I am not hard on clutches. My ALH Jetta (Stage 2 tune) stock clutch and DMF was still going strong at 300,000 miles. I followed break-in procedures to the T on the CM clutch and it's slipping at 70,000 highway miles. In my opinion, it's junk. Plain and simple.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If Matt could get an alternative clutch supplier his single mass set up would be perfect. He told me he approached south bend about setting something up for him but they were not interested.

I've sold all my Whitbread stuff but I wonder if it could be sent into south bend and they match something up out of their inventory to fit in place of the clutch masters crap?

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
FWIW, i remember reading somewhere that Whitbread wasn't able to get any vendors except Clutchmasters to work with him on his flywheel. I have no doubt that he'd prefer to use a more reliable supplier than Clutchmasters.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I just sent my Whitbread FX300 setup to SB for some RD. Hoping to get something decent back.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: I went ahead with the SB Stage 3 DD with the Luk DMF flywheel. Had it installed a couple weeks ago. So far I love driving it. Slightly stiffer pedal than the Whitbread/Clutchmasters setup, but smooth engagement and absolutely ZERO chatter (even with no clutch springs). South Bend recommends a 500-mile break-in for the Stage 3 DD, but I'm at 1,000 miles and just now starting to push it a bit. No slip and no vibration under fairly hard acceleration. Since I don't know a lot about the tune on my car (previous owner described it as "Stage 1.5"), take this review for what it's worth in terms of how it will perform in your vehicle, especially those with aggressive tunes.

I'll update this at some point with my long-term experience, but so far I'm very happy with it.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
UPDATE: I went ahead with the SB Stage 3 DD with the Luk DMF flywheel. Had it installed a couple weeks ago. So far I love driving it. Slightly stiffer pedal than the Whitbread/Clutchmasters setup, but smooth engagement and absolutely ZERO chatter (even with no clutch springs). South Bend recommends a 500-mile break-in for the Stage 3 DD, but I'm at 1,000 miles and just now starting to push it a bit. No slip and no vibration under fairly hard acceleration. Since I don't know a lot about the tune on my car (previous owner described it as "Stage 1.5"), take this review for what it's worth in terms of how it will perform in your vehicle, especially those with aggressive tunes.

I'll update this at some point with my long-term experience, but so far I'm very happy with it.
This is a 228mm?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
This is a 228mm?
Yes, it can be used with stock 1.8t DMF flywheel. This is the same setup that Levi used in his video on "Passat Manual Swap" I'm curious how this setup has worked for him.

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan

that link to the stage 3 clutch brings up a page with the DMF too.. is the LUK DMF the one SB uses in that link you posted? Or do you buy them separately

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
Yes, it can be used with stock 1.8t DMF flywheel. This is the same setup that Levi used in his video on "Passat Manual Swap" I'm curious how this setup has worked for him.
Levi said he's run his Passat with the stage 3 DD 170k miles without slipping.