buyback or fix?

bravo69

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Hello,

I just purchased a used 2009 Jetta TDI pre-diesel fix. It has 92k miles and was wondering if I have to get it fixed?

Is it a federal mandate or required by VW? Can I get the car inspected if it doesnt get fixed?

I really want to keep the car as is

Located in NY.

Thank you in advance

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
You have found a needle in the haystack. Keep it as is, the fix sucks.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Yes you can keep it like it is, that is one of the 3 options. If NY took the money VW offered they can't fail it if it has to go through emissions test.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I also say do not get the fix. You ARE driving a clean Diesel, as is! You will never see it blow black smoke, you will not smell Diesel exhaust fumes, nor see soot on the bumper. All this 'Dieselgate' nonsense was political mumbo-jumbo when somebody saw an opportunity to look like they were actually doing something. The emission standards that VW (and the other Diesel manufacturers as well) could not meet were unnecessarily strict in the first place. It's too bad that VW, Fiat Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, Ford and GM (allegedly), and others felt the need to sneak around those absurd regulations!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The 2009 had some issues and the fix may be a better option. Especially as seeing how you may need to get the fix anyway as the parts you now have will be obsolete and if they fail/need replacement you will have to get the fix anyway. Some of the 2009's IIRC had some issues with the fix as well so you may be stuck anyway.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
At this point, you cannot do a buyback or fix for money. You can get the recall done and won't get any money for it, just extended warranty and some new parts.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What good advice you gave. OP never asked or wanted buy back or fixed with money. Just wanted to know whether they had to get the fix done or not. None of which you addressed. Trying to build your post count for some reason?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
What good advice you gave. OP never asked or wanted buy back or fixed with money. Just wanted to know whether they had to get the fix done or not. None of which you addressed. Trying to build your post count for some reason?
Title of this thread is "Buyback or fix?"

Yes, I am trying to get to million posts here

bravo69

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
The 2009 had some issues and the fix may be a better option. Especially as seeing how you may need to get the fix anyway as the parts you now have will be obsolete and if they fail/need replacement you will have to get the fix anyway. Some of the 2009's IIRC had some issues with the fix as well so you may be stuck anyway.
sorry but what is the IIRC? what is different from this IIRC and the 2009 that had issues and fix is better option?

What issues do the 2009 have?

bravo69

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
At this point, you cannot do a buyback or fix for money. You can get the recall done and won't get any money for it, just extended warranty and some new parts.
Not looking to get money or the fix. From what was told from a local mechanic and from local VW dealership the state of NY does not require to get it fixed, Yet! it could be mandated in the future.

Someone else told me you can replace the updated fixed software with the original. If I dont get the fix but bring into a dealership for maintenance/repair they may replace the software with updated software that has the fix.

Am I better of buying a older pre-diesel scam car or a newer fixed post diesel car? I wouldnt mind buying a newer car 2011-2016 but dont want to have issues later. Maybe too soon to tell

bravo69

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
I also say do not get the fix. You ARE driving a clean Diesel, as is! You will never see it blow black smoke, you will not smell Diesel exhaust fumes, nor see soot on the bumper. All this 'Dieselgate' nonsense was political mumbo-jumbo when somebody saw an opportunity to look like they were actually doing something. The emission standards that VW (and the other Diesel manufacturers as well) could not meet were unnecessarily strict in the first place. It's too bad that VW, Fiat Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, Ford and GM (allegedly), and others felt the need to sneak around those absurd regulations!
I totally agree. I didnt buy my Jetta 2010 TDI to improve the environment just for efficiency and reliability

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
sorry but what is the IIRC? what is different from this IIRC and the 2009 that had issues and fix is better option?
What issues do the 2009 have?
IIRC = If I recall Correctly

No state (almost all of them, only 3 or 4 didn't) that took the money from the VW settlement agreement can withhold registration or require the fix be done, ever. If you don't already have the original software saved then reverting back is out of the question. If I were to buy one I would get a 2015. The latest model car and prices are very low on them right now. The emissions fix seems to be negligible on the latest 2015's.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Having some warranty coverage on that infernal HPFP, alone, is worth getting the fix done in my mind.

I won't (and don't) own a vehicle with a Bosch CP4 injector pump outside of warranty. A clunker bought cheaply for less than what its parts could be sold for might be an exception.

bravo69

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
$8k for a 2003 Jetta TDI with 105k miles? Is it worth it? this car is very clean with the following mods;

3 turbo back exhaust from Kerma TDI $750.00,​ front big brake kit,​ $750.00,​ Gold Koni shocks and springs,​ $680.00,​ new control arms with Audi TT bushings,​ $199.00,​ EGR cooler delete,​ $150.00,​ 17 ASA rims with Yokohama Tires $1000 from Tire Rack. The timing belt and water pump were done about 5k miles ago. The car runs great,​ handles amazing and gets about 600 miles on a full tank of diesel.

after getting the carfax report a major accident was reported (salvage title). The owner (car dealer) said he purchased from the auction and said the radiator support belt was broken. I think there may be more to the story. Why would the title be salvage for just a broken radiator support?

Also why would the owner put so much work into knowing it had a salvage title? What does a salvage title mean?

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
$8k for a 2003 Jetta TDI with 105k miles? Is it worth it? this car is very clean with the following mods;
3 turbo back exhaust from Kerma TDI $750.00,​ front big brake kit,​ $750.00,​ Gold Koni shocks and springs,​ $680.00,​ new control arms with Audi TT bushings,​ $199.00,​ EGR cooler delete,​ $150.00,​ 17 ASA rims with Yokohama Tires $1000 from Tire Rack. The timing belt and water pump were done about 5k miles ago. The car runs great,​ handles amazing and gets about 600 miles on a full tank of diesel.
after getting the carfax report a major accident was reported (salvage title). The owner (car dealer) said he purchased from the auction and said the radiator support belt was broken. I think there may be more to the story. Why would the title be salvage for just a broken radiator support?
Also why would the owner put so much work into knowing it had a salvage title? What does a salvage title mean?
How new are you at this ... ! ! ! ? !

A salvage title means that an insurance company has had a claim filed against the vehicle which exceeded what they deemed to be its value (i.e. the insurance company wrote it off), so the insurance company, now being the owner of the vehicle, sold it at auction to recover what they could.

"why would the owner put so much work into knowing it had a salvage title" ... ever consider the possibility that the situation that led to the salvage title might have happened after all that work was done?

Any time "salvage title" is involved, the question "why" has to be asked. It may have been a theft recovery with no damage at all, but the vehicle was not recovered until the original owner had been paid out on their theft claim. It may be a flood victim. Or, it could have been involved in a collision in which the repair cost exceeds what the car is worth, evidently the case here. That does not take much, nowadays. Airbags fire? It's done. Add to that the structural repairs that may have been needed.

now, as for that price ...

US$8000 for a 16 year old car that is not a collectible of some sort ... is on crack even without the salvage title situation. Then the salvage title probably cuts its value in half. There may be restrictions on how you could finance or insure the car. You may not be able to get certain types of coverage. If repairs were involved, you have no way to know how WELL they were done. There could be hidden damage.

Run away from this one.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Why is this posted in the Dieselgate forum?