Buyback Lessons Learned

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Keep the spare & tools. My TDI went back with four full size spare steelies. I removed the labels and the car looked great. Should have done it sooner!

They only check for the radio and if the car runs. I had to move the car forward and backwards 10 feet in either direction.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I wonder if anyone has had a dealer "go through the car thoroughly" experience during buyback, now that the dealers are handling the process.

I still have my steelies and snows on it as they wont fit my new/used 2013 Audi A3. My 17" Salamancas will however, so I am keeping those for snows.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
This is a checklist I made for myself before turning in my car (because i tend to forget the obvious )

- [x] File notice with DMV
Thanks for the checklist. It came in handy. I was curious about this one.

Do we have to notify the DMV? Insurance company I understand.
I thought through the paperwork process with VW, it is taken care of.

EDIT: I found this on CT DMV website:
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=245090

What to do if selling a car:
Complete and sign the reverse side of the Certificate of Title and give it to the new owner along with a Bill of Sale (form H-31). You may draft your own Bill of Sale, as there is no special form required. If you are drafting your own bill of sale it must contain the following information - name and address of purchaser; name and address of seller; description of vehicle (make, model, year, color, and vehicle identification number); sales price; date of sale; signature of seller.

As a seller you should keep a copy of the completed Title and Bill of Sale for your records.

Remove and return the license plates to the DMV with the registration certificate, and ask that they be cancelled. You will then be given a receipt which you should keep for your records.

NOTE: Until you cancel your registration, the vehicle is subject to property tax assessment in the town of record for that vehicle. If you receive an additional property tax bill for the vehicle you should check with your local property tax assessor for a prorated bill showing your cancelled plate receipt and a copy of the Bill of Sale for the vehicle.

You must maintain liability insurance on the registration as long as it is active; therefore, do not cancel the insurance on the vehicle until the plates have been returned and cancelled.

The new owner will then be required to register the vehicle in his/her name and apply for a new Certificate of Title.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Keep the spare & tools. My TDI went back with four full size spare steelies. I removed the labels and the car looked great. Should have done it sooner!

They only check for the radio and if the car runs. I had to move the car forward and backwards 10 feet in either direction.
Any tips on where to source steelies for cheap?

ddhd

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi 6spd
Help
Have a 2013 Jetta and planning on the buy back.
Problem is my inspection is expired and the check engine light is on.
The car is running fine.
Will this cause a problem on the day I turn it in?
Thanks

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It should not. All I did, when I got there was get in the car and move the car 10' forward and 10' backward. I then park it. They then took a picture of the odometer. Returned it with steelies and snows. They didn't open hood or trunk to inspect either.

loop7

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
In an email I received from VW, it sounds like my turn-in appointment will be "virtual" which is fine but I assume that means electronic transfer is the only option or can a check be cut for me?

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
Help
Have a 2013 Jetta and planning on the buy back.
Problem is my inspection is expired and the check engine light is on.
The car is running fine.
Will this cause a problem on the day I turn it in?
Thanks

Nope. You may risk yourself a ticket driving around with an expired inspection sticker.

barrydc

TDI
2010 JSW 6MT White Gold Cornsilk pano
Buyback Started

I just made buyback claim "official". I held out until now because I loved my super-efficient, high-capacity '10 JSW hauler. Thanks for the lessons learned and practical checklists.

Jacks TDI

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
June 1st was the magic day for saying goodbye to our JSW. June 1 gave us an extra $450 for low 49000 miles. We will miss the 40 mpg - but with Diesel fuel at $3.89/gal we are good to stay with Regular grade fuel on our new 2017 AllTrack. Really happy overall with the MK 7 platform and all the new features the SEL AllTrack offers that were not available in 2014. And the fact that VW paid us about $600 more that the sale price of the New 2017 Golf AllTrack SEL makes us very pleased with our Buyback choice.
The "Virtual" process was that they now video the whole process with an IPad. And they are now (in our case) using dealer personnel (Sales Manager) do do the Buyback with direct audio instructions from a VW Buyback person on the Video Call. We had to answer questions affirming the Buyback and our documents on video. He had us do the 10 foot roll back and forth - then a video walk around and that included a video of the Radio and Dash Odometer, & back seat. It all took about 30 minutes and we walked out with a Check & drove to the bank ... in our new AllTrack.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> Thanks for the lessons learned and practical checklists.
Things for checklist I'm compiling (I'm not interested in taking anything that came with the car):

1. Get all those little things out of the glove box or trunk, such as maps, flashlight, tire pressure gauge, emergency kit, spare oil.

2. Aftermarket floor mats? Might be salable.

3. Clear the code(s) from the Homelink unit, if you have one.

4. Erase music from the head unit (I have a lot of music on the HD in the RNS-510).

5. Not a big deal -probably- but recover the registration and proof of insurance.

6. Take a screwdriver to the buyback to remove plates, in case they don't have proper tools. Also not a bad idea to ensure those screws aren't frozen in place before going to the dealer.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Plate removal never crossed my mind........perhaps the new owner will like the car as much as I...........

All I recall that day was the sad 15-mile drive to the selling dealer. 4 1/2 years had quickly passed.

The buyback was painless. The $$$ received equalled my 2013 price.

I now drive a tiny 1.4 VWturbo/5M.

I'll live.

ez

MonkeyWrench

TDI
2012 JSW TDi
Things for checklist I'm compiling (I'm not interested in taking anything that came with the car):
1. Get all those little things out of the glove box or trunk, such as maps, flashlight, tire pressure gauge, emergency kit, spare oil.
2. Aftermarket floor mats? Might be salable.
3. Clear the code(s) from the Homelink unit, if you have one.
4. Erase music from the head unit (I have a lot of music on the HD in the RNS-510).
5. Not a big deal -probably- but recover the registration and proof of insurance.
6. Take a screwdriver to the buyback to remove plates, in case they don't have proper tools. Also not a bad idea to ensure those screws aren't frozen in place before going to the dealer.
I'm so grateful for this thread. Because of this forum, I knew to wait until the beginning of the month in order to get my refreshed mileage allotment - that meant about $250 extra in buyback for my 09 Jetta sedan. The car has been sitting for three months, so I started it and drove it around the block a few days prior to my appointment. I've had a CEL for the EGR flap stuck closed, so I dropped by Autozone on my way to the dealership and cleared codes just in case. My buyback was virtual. I did not consent to audio and video recording. Very gracious young man conducted the proceedings. Ten feet forward, ten feet back, grab the registration and insurance card and the expresstoll pass off of the window - one of the plate screws was frozen, so we just bent the plate slightly to work it off the screw - and said goodbye to my baby. She gave me 70k miles of good driving at minimal cost. But I'm staying in the club - in fact, I'm going to donate today! - because I bought a replacement 2012 JSW TDi manual three months ago. I need this forum to help me trouble shoot issues as they come up on the new car!

venka

TDI
2012 Golf TDI (turned in to VW); 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Has anyone been able to schedule a buy-back appointment for late November or December? I checked all the participating dealers in my area (Boston, MA) and the latest they have is November 1st. I wanted to hold on to my car as long as possible to take advantage of end of the year sales on new cars. Thanks for any advice!

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Has anyone been able to schedule a buy-back appointment for late November or December? I checked all the participating dealers in my area (Boston, MA) and the latest they have is November 1st. I wanted to hold on to my car as long as possible to take advantage of end of the year sales on new cars. Thanks for any advice!
Calendar goes only few months in advance. If November is open now, December should open up next month. Check back on July 1st for December appointment.

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
I'm thinking hard on the buyback now too. It's been a great car, it still is a good car. I don't know if anything else that will fit the bill like it does. I may trade up to a newer model TDI manual. Also, don't forget that Bosch should also send you a check after turn in for about $350 from what I've heard. Not sure if there is a limit on that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Red Devil

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
Touchy TDi storage yard Guards

Coming back from a camping trip this morning my daughter and I found ourselves in Adelanto, CA (off US-395) and a few blocks from a massive VW TDi storage yard. Having opted to keep my 2011 A3 TDi, I was curious to see the collection and knew I wouldn’t be by again soon. Easily found the yard, surrounded by a 10’ opaque chain link fence. There was a transport truck loading dusty cars at the locked gate. We stopped and using my cellphone camera walked up to fence. Could see thousands of VW cars and the security guards wanted to know who we were. I said “just a TDi owner coming to pay my respects”. She said ‘no photos!” Of course I took one and backed off. As we photographed the truck, the guards began calling someone and also videoing us. I noted the parking area was littered with under engine air shields. We turned around and slowly made our way back toward 395 when a guy in a Saturn began following us. I pulled over and came up and, running his cellphone video wanted to know who I was and why was I taking pictures. Repeated my story. He said it was important to know who was around “their yard”. Asked what was happening to them. Said they come and go and couldn’t say more. He declined to take my name and address when I offered. So VW has some aggressive watch dogs lording over thousands of slowly baking, perfectly good cars.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yeah, god forbid that something good might come of the old TDI's! Gotta stop that at all costs :rolleyes:!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Talk to the Judge. Theft isn't the way to deal with it. That is never okay. I have no qualm with harvesting the parts and/or cars in a legal manner. Your sarcasm is lost on me for illegal acts.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
VW has some aggressive watch dogs lording over thousands of slowly baking, perfectly good cars.
Depending on whether there was 100 or 1,000, that's roughly somewhere between 1 million and 30 million dollars worth of inventory. If there's more than 1,000 cars parked...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
talk to the judge. Theft isn't the way to deal with it. That is never okay. I have no qualm with harvesting the parts and/or cars in a legal manner. Your sarcasm is lost on me for illegal acts.

^^^^^^^^

this.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Picked up our new car yesterday (a 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring) and went to the VW site to pick an appointment to turn in the Passat. Lesson learned: although there are plenty of times available on a turn-in day, the days themselves disappear when they're less than 2 or 3 weeks out. I thought I'd be able to get an July 24th date, having looked at VW's calendar for our local dealer* just two days ago, but it had disappeared by last evening, and the earliest I was able to secure an appointment was August 7th, so we're going to have the Passat sitting around for almost a month. Oh, well, drive it once a week and watch the bird droppings accumulate, nothing for it.

*The second-closest dealer, 50 miles away, has exactly the same dates available.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Picked up our new car yesterday (a 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T Touring) and went to the VW site to pick an appointment to turn in the Passat. Lesson learned: although there are plenty of times available on a turn-in day, the days themselves disappear when they're less than 2 or 3 weeks out. I thought I'd be able to get an July 24th date, having looked at VW's calendar for our local dealer* just two days ago, but it had disappeared by last evening, and the earliest I was able to secure an appointment was August 7th, so we're going to have the Passat sitting around for almost a month. Oh, well, drive it once a week and watch the bird droppings accumulate, nothing for it.

*The second-closest dealer, 50 miles away, has exactly the same dates available.
I don't know how many times it was posted here and I think its somewhere in VW paperwork too - appointment must be made AT LEAST 2 weeks in advance.

VW needs time to print out and mail dealer the paperwork that they give you to sign during the appointment.

This has been the case since day 1

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Also keep in mind most dealers seem to only handle buyback appointments one weekday of the week. My local dealer only handles them on Monday for example. So out of one month they only have four days available (all Mondays) to do buybacks. Since the appointments are one hour apart doesn't take long to fill up the empty slots.

It was early May 2018 when I was at the make an appointment stage and earliest open slots were in June at that time. I went with a July appointment so I could add miles to my TDI being turned in instead of the one I'm replacing it with.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black

It appears that they do not allow any appointments up to 3 weeks out.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Earlier today, I unceremoniously drove my 2010 Jetta TDI to the nearest VW dealer and signed it over to VW. The process was surprisingly straightforward and simple, the whole event took about 15 minutes from start to finish. The dealership rep walked around the car once with his tablet, then he opened the driver's door and focused on the odometer. Next, he opened the left rear passenger door and took a picture, and that was it. He then asked me to move the car 5 feet forward and back, and after that, we went inside to sign the papers and I was on my way home. On July 6, I bought a 2018 Toyota 4Runner, so after 31 years of driving nothing else than manual diesels, I now officially own an automatic gasser.