Buyback and getting a GTI, what are some of the deals you're getting?

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Ok, so I was thinking of getting a GTI , because I realize it's not an "if " I turn my car in, but a "when". They're not going to fix it.
So what kind of deals are some of you getting?
I'm not having any luck.
Maybe 3 k off retail, but when we sit down to finalize....it's the old "true coat" and dealer fees that weren't in the original deal. Frustrated. I heard of guys reporting up to 7k on a GTI if they use the dealer for the buy back, but here in St Louis, Mo... nope!
Where are the good deals??

Jsuttin

TDI
2003 jetta wagon [SOLD], 2015 Golf S
Deals will vary from region to region but the discounts on GTI's were compelling enough for me that I pulled the trigger on one while waiting to turn in my Golf TDI. I got a GTI S 6 speed manual with an MSRP of $26,800 (after a few compulsory add in like blocks/mats/emergency kit and destination fee) and negotiated for lifetime high quality tint (about a $300 value) for $21,800 after VW $1000 loyalty. Ironically I paid $22,000 for my '15 TDI S M6. I miss the good mileage that diesel provided but pretty much everything else is as good or better on the GTI.

Narvelous81

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Deals will vary from region to region but the discounts on GTI's were compelling enough for me that I pulled the trigger on one while waiting to turn in my Golf TDI. I got a GTI S 6 speed manual with an MSRP of $26,800 (after a few compulsory add in like blocks/mats/emergency kit and destination fee) and negotiated for lifetime high quality tint (about a $300 value) for $21,800 after VW $1000 loyalty. Ironically I paid $22,000 for my '15 TDI S M6. I miss the good mileage that diesel provided but pretty much everything else is as good or better on the GTI.
That's awesome! Which dealership in SA? Because that's exactly what I intend to do. Get a GTI.

05GLX4MoWgn

TDI
2017 GSW SEL; 2011 JSW TDI
After buying 16 new cars in my lifetime I can say ..No matter how you slice it, dice it, cash-back it, rebate it, ad nauseum, you are going to pay whatever is on the sticker. It's all fun and games until you're sitting across from the finance guy.

Last edited:

Just Adam

TDI
2012 Golf (wife's)
After buying 16 new cars in my lifetime I can say ..No matter how you slice it, dice it, cash-back it, rebate it, ad nauseum, you are going to pay whatever is on the sticker. It's all fun and games until you're sitting across from the finance guy.
LOL

Sounds like you've been ripped off 16 times.

TDI2017

Banned
TDI
2014 Golf
Sounds like he's their favorite customer...someone has to makeup for the deals we get.

veritas137

TDI
2012 Golf
I like my mk6 and am simply looking for a mk6 gti with low mileage. Should be able to get one for the amount I am getting back. I love the car and will miss the mileage, but the extra HP will be fun for a while.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Ok, so I was thinking of getting a GTI , because I realize it's not an "if " I turn my car in, but a "when". They're not going to fix it....
Where are the good deals??
GTI - Sheehy Volkswagen of Springfield VA

Sheehy in Virginia has the best deals I've seen for new GTIs. I'd use it as leverage for a dealer near you or buy from them and ship it to you or go and drive it home. That's what I'll do when the time comes. My only issue is it looks like the cars have front plates. That won't work for me, so hopefully they have cars that aren't already drilled.

I bought my TDI from a dealer in Georgia and had it shipped to me in Pennsylvania. I found my TDI when it was still on a ship coming from Germany. That was the only way I could get what I wanted when I wanted.

Of course you'll still have to pay the standard fees and taxes in your state, but the discounted prices are very good. Again, they are the best I've seen.

ldubvdub

TDI
14 Jetta TDI Value Edition 6MT
I bought a new GTI S 6MT towards the end of November if memory serves it was $26800+$500 (tint, mats, etc..)+local taxes, tags, fees

I ended up financing around $21500 no cash down at 1.9% for 60, I feel like I did well on the deal, used the same salesman and dealership who sold me my TDI. FWIW I am completely in love with the new whip, I drove a WRX and Turbo Forrester, both great cars but my little white GTI was a different beast. Never owned a car as fun to drive and I've had way too many cars and trucks in my life.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Bought two GTIs. One Autobahn and one SE. $4500 and $5700 off MSRP respectively from an eastern Pennsylvania dealer. Both included the SCCA discount as well as a $1000 loyalty for the SE.

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
I'm going to wait a few more months so that I'll have more money to put down on a new GTI Sport.
Main reason for going with the sport is that I wanted the cloth plaid seats along with the lighting package. I'd like the sunroof, but its just one more thing to creak or leak as the car gets older so I'm okay without one.

feinborg

TDI
jetta 2.0
I just did this a little over a week ago. came in armed with pricing from the aggressive dealers from VA (Stohlman) and found the most aggressive pricing closest to me. laid all the numbers out to them and told them to split the difference between stohlman and the lowest deal I found locally and they would have my business.

ended up with a 2017 GTI S 6MT no options; which is what I was looking for:
~26,800 msrp
20,700 before tax, tag, fee's
this price included the VW loyalty incentive and the partner program since I work for a partner company. however you can get the partner program pricing with the SCCA membership as said above.

They are also storing my TDI free of charge in their garage till my appointment which is now ~2 weeks away. The downside to that is I end up paying 3 weeks of extra insurance.. no big deal to me as there were not too many no option manual S's around in CSG.

Take advantage of the hit VW is currently taking from all this buy-back mess coupled with the end of year incentives. These next two weeks are the definitely the time to buy.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I just did this a little over a week ago. came in armed with pricing from the aggressive dealers from VA (Stohlman) and found the most aggressive pricing closest to me. laid all the numbers out to them and told them to split the difference between stohlman and the lowest deal I found locally and they would have my business.

ended up with a 2017 GTI S 6MT no options; which is what I was looking for:
~26,800 msrp
20,700 before tax, tag, fee's
this price included the VW loyalty incentive and the partner program since I work for a partner company. however you can get the partner program pricing with the SCCA membership as said above.

They are also storing my TDI free of charge in their garage till my appointment which is now ~2 weeks away. The downside to that is I end up paying 3 weeks of extra insurance.. no big deal to me as there were not too many no option manual S's around in CSG.

Take advantage of the hit VW is currently taking from all this buy-back mess coupled with the end of year incentives. These next two weeks are the definitely the time to buy.
Nice deal. It looks like I should target $6k off of MSRP if we buy a new wagon.

Jsuttin

TDI
2003 jetta wagon [SOLD], 2015 Golf S
That's awesome! Which dealership in SA? Because that's exactly what I intend to do. Get a GTI.
That was actually Ancira VW's posted price online through their webpage. A dealership closer to me effectively matched it. It goes without saying that if that's their posted price there's likely additional room for negotiation but I was happy with what I got.

PC Passat

TDI
2017 Jetta GLI
I got a 2017 GLI 6mt with lifetime powertrain warrantee and some oil changes for 4,000 off MSRP. Seemed to drive closest the my 2010 6mt Jetta tdi. A little less power down low, but more power at the middle and up. Have to admit, it would probably run away from my my tdi but would burn more fuel to do it.
As a side note, I saw rug today for 1.85 at a Quick Trip station. Makes the fuel costs for the new one closer to the tdi. It can burn regular but requires premium for full power rating.

Last edited:

ram_g

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Just bought a GTI to replace the Passat TDI, deal was $5,300 off MSRP (from 26,800 to 21,500) including loyalty but no partner company discount. Quite satisfied.

Now if only I would get my settlement check from VW...but that's another thread.

parameTDIc

TDI
2009 Jetta
Requested quotes back in November and for a GTI S DSG that MSRP @ $27,830, I was quoted a discount of $5217 plus the $1000 loyalty for a total before TTL of $21612 and $23225 after. Would have been an excellent deal, but I didn't have the funds as my trade in isn't until 12/28. This month, they said their incentives from VW changed, and instead of $5200 discount, the "best they could offer" was $4600, not to mention they also claimed that they wouldn't be making any money on this deal, simply "moving metal." Not that I buy all that, but still a pretty good deal in my mind. I spent a lot of time having several dealers in my area compete against each other. Even had one that referred to my first quote as "take it before they change their minds." Picking up my new GTI next Wed...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
huh?
after 50 years of buying cars, I have never paid MSRP

tstruyk

TDI
2013 Golf
Bommarito in Hazelwood has 3500 off msrp, plus 1k for "loyalty whatever, plus they knock off 1500 if they handle your buyback... by my math thats 6k... even if they flip 199 doc prep plus destination you're at 5k off...

how much of a deal are you expecting?

feinborg

TDI
jetta 2.0
They said their incentives from VW changed, and instead of $5200 discount, the "best they could offer" was $4600, not to mention they also claimed that they wouldn't be making any money on this deal, simply "moving metal."
that's a garbage line they spew all the time. when you are ready to sign on the dotted line, go in and say you will be the car right now at the 5,200 off discount and they will do it. incentives change every month usually, not in the middle of the week. also the incentives on these cars have been the same for months now.

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
I'm trading a bit of money for convenience and my own sanity ... have a GTI Sport 6MT locked down to exchange for my '13 Golf TDI next Wed at about 24,500+tax+tags ... see how that email quote plays out in reality next Wed. Price locked through my USAA affiliation. I'm sure more could be had by someone interested in taking the effort, to me I'm trading a couple $K to get the gas version of my diesel that has 80k miles on it, with some non-cheap technical upgrades. The way I drive (miles accumulation wise) I would be looking at a DPF maintenance pass in the next 12 months or so, I'm not unhappy to NOT be doing that.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Pulled the trigger!
GTI SE 6M: 33500 MSRP, for 28000!
Same color, options etc as my TDI. Less MPG, but gobs of power! Been an interesting ride VW!
Cheers all!

parameTDIc

TDI
2009 Jetta
that's a garbage line they spew all the time. when you are ready to sign on the dotted line, go in and say you will be the car right now at the 5,200 off discount and they will do it. incentives change every month usually, not in the middle of the week. also the incentives on these cars have been the same for months now.
Yeah, I know they are playing games. I would consider myself a slightly above average negotiator in most cases, including when buying cars. However this time they might have me made. My plan was to turn my car in and drive off the same day in the new GTI. Currently, I have no backup plan, and I think they are banking on that. I suppose I could have someone ready to pick me up and just walk out if it doesn't go my way. Downside to that is the local inventory of my preferred color, etc of GTI is nothing at this point, and I am in the situation that I will need a car same day or early next day.