Buy Jetta SPORTSWAGEN or Golf wagin' ?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Buying a newer wagen for personal use, normally keep my cars a long time...

Purchase a 2012-2014 Jetta SPORTWAGEN or bump up to the new GOLF platform ?
:)) if you have one..., ONLY white/black w/DSG, WITHOUT panoramic roof, I may be intersested ! )

Please let me know suggestions and major differences of the two platforms and engine subtleties, I do own a B4V w/400K.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The Jetta Sportwagen has always been a Golf wagen. It was only named a Jetta for sale in the USA. Apparently VW believed that Jetta was a more respected name for some reason. Mechanically they are essentially identical. 2009 had a CBEA engine and 2010-2014 had a CJAA engine but the biggest difference between these was the balance shaft design. All of the other changes are quite minor (like the color of the red plastic in the tail light lenses). I wouldn't worry too much about the Jetta/Golf names, the cars are almost entirely identical.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since the OP is in the US, it is a Jetta Sportwagen, not a Golf. And I think what he's asking is whether or not to consider the '09-14 JSW or the '15 GSW, which is an entirely different car with a different engine.

My advice is to do nothing for at least 8 days. See what VW comes up with. You may find some killer deals on leftover '15s.

If it were me, I'd skip the '09-14s, and go for a new one. I like the engine better, I like the interior better (except for the fake stainless dash), and it should be more reliable.

Having written all that, drive one and see what you think. It may cause you to look for a fresher B4. Seriously.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I think the answer depends on a few things, one what happens in ten days or so, 2 budget the new 2015 + will cost more, I gotta think the 16's will one day be for sale and they should be some deals on them, after all they have been sitting around for a year. I would go for the new platform as there are many improvements. Good luck

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
me personally I like the look of the JSW over the GSW

the G is slightly larger than the J

to me the G is a little "sharp" on the corners and body lines for my likings. the J to me is smoother in the body line transitions and that gives it a more attractive look that catches my eye..

hopefully the links work correctly and pull up the similar pics of the two

https://www.google.com/search?q=golf+sportwagen&safe=active&biw=1635&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjZ3NDKy7nNAhUERSYKHfV6CKEQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=CSHJVOApeEpZFM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=jet...hUF4iYKHaw3D98Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=VVgCQifBwaiwcM:

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys...
THE good: SOOOO tempting to get a new(er) TDI wagon 'cause they smell nice and the doors open, windows go up n down and the vehicle is shinny, etc...
THE Bad: New car payments, loss of dollar value, way more costly repairs/parts

B4V I have blew a turbo n loaded the engine(at idle @ traffic light), doors don't open from outside, needs painting/clearcoat mainly, small stuff..., like complete interior cleaning, etc...

Condition of B4:
BRAND new timing belt, etc < 450 miles
New A/C < 1,500 miles
Two new tires, new clutch < 4,000 miles, etc...
Car is solid but older, 1996 as ya'll know.
$1,500-2,250 to get it back in good shape, hmmmm ?

But the niceness of the B4V when running good IS NICE, and it has been paid off a LONG time ago ...

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I really like my 13 JSW. It is fixing to turn 100K and has been tuned since 17K... Runs and drives perfect even at 100K, and everything still works... For now...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think the two largest interior differences you'll see between the JSW and the GSW is that GSW has a little more rear legroom that was taken from the luggage compartment. The diesel engine has been upgraded for urea. As all others have said, wait a week and see what comes out of the court. If it's all bad, I'm sure you'll see some JSWs on this site for sale by the end of the month.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
stoner, I am opposite of you in opinion. There are some things in the Golf version that make the car look better to me.
But, to each his or her own.

To the OP, the other nice thing about the B4V is the fuel economy and RANGE. I loved my B4 sedan, and regularly got 800 mile tanks from it, with a best of 1,035. The JSW has a hard time hitting 600 miles. When I made the change I literally went from filling up once a month to once every two weeks.
I believe my B4 was just as quick at the JSW, since the Passat was upgraded with injectors and chipped, but now that the 'Wagen is tuned it might be faster. The extra weight makes a difference though.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the B4 is nice in many aspects but I'll be in the city and DSG is very nice !

Made 57.8 MPG from 26 +/_ gallons one time and three days stretching the tank to empty, going very slow...
(original turbo, 195/65/15's @ front air dam, straight 2" pipe w/cat)

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Other manufacturers are already advertising 2017 models for sale! VW better get this dead period over or they will be stuffed with unsold one and two year old cars (not many diesels though).
Selling the leftover new '15 and '16 model year TDIs would only open them up to additional liabilities down the road.

My $.02 (and what I think he was getting at)...VW is done with the TDI in the U.S. If they were smart, they'd yank the engines out of those cars, crush them, and sell the cars for parts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What I hear is the 15s on dealer lots will be sold. The 16s are gone. Shipped out. Never certified.

Whether or not there will be '17s remains to be seen. I expect there will be. VW and its dealer network here needs them, badly.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
"My $.02 (and what I think he was getting at)...VW is done with the TDI in the U.S. If they were smart, they'd yank the engines out of those cars, crush them, and sell the cars for parts."
Hmmmmmm, makes me think and others will probably wonder about this statement !?!

IMHO; As the largest and most successful auto manufacturer, VW probably is very busy right now mandating to its MINNIONS to create/develop a better Diesel engine than what is on the market now.
I'm very much believing that what engine the Golf has now is not what will be in future TDI's, but a stepping stone to better combustion where PZE's will be the norm...

Last edited:

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Im thinking about getting a 2015 GSW to replaced the 2011 JSW. The one the I like about the 2011 JSW is that it has been the most reliable TDI that I have owned. Even better than the 2003 JSW.