Buy Fuel @ Meijer's Lately?

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Yesterday at our local Meijer's here in Plainwell, I found that their new payment procedure is to pre-pay 24/7 at the diesel pumps. Of course, these pumps are the furthest from the cash register. If one wants to top-off, this involves 2 round trips.

Meijer says that drive-off have been a problem for them. But, it seems that they won't pop for either card readers on their diesel pumps or security cameras to identify thieves.

Anyone else see this at your local Meijer??

TIA...V

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
nope. I only filled there 2 or 3 times over the summer when $3.99 was "cheap" compared to other stations. they also had a sign claiming it was "premium diesel" which I suspect was only marketing hype. I believe all Meijer's in the Chicagoland area have card readers on the pump. that must be very annoying for you:mad: I refuse to fill anywhere which does not have card readers... cheap ba$tards. if they think the "pump-n-run" is bad now... tell them to wait until prices skyrocket again, EVERY STATION will have prepay

in my experience, Speedway is the only place where you can fill before paying (no pre-pay required) but I still pre-pay with a card @ the pump. I'm not waiting in line for Joe Shmo to pre-pay for $5 worth of RUG, and I'm not waiting in line for his lady to buy lottery tickets

suggestion: screw Meijer's and go to BP or Shell

Last edited:

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
1959 Ford F100 TDI ALH conversion
BP is the way to go. I used Meijers early in my TDI days and had water problems anyway. Now I only use BP or Shell.
Sign up for the BP card. Get 10% off for 60 days and 5% off for life. Most BP's also let you pay with CC at the pump.

Enjoy

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
TDI
Gordon Peterson said:
Sign up for the BP card. Get 10% off for 60 days and 5% off for life. Most BP's also let you pay with CC at the pump.
+1 :) that is 5% off ALL purchases made at BP: guzzoline, diesel, carwashes, snacks, beverages, etc.

Shell has a 5% program... guzzoline only :(
I was all for it until I bought a TDI. they should have have quality diesel though, especially in the midwest

BTW, I signed up for the BP card last spring when fuel prices were skyrocketing. right after I got the card I left for a cross-country road trip. although prices were high, it was very satisfying to get as much as a $0.50/gal reward! so if you're planning a trip or know you're going to buy more fuel than normal in any 60-day period, you can take advantage of the 10% introductory period. FWIW, once you accumulate $25 in rewards you have the option of recieving a $25 check in the mail, a $25 BP gift card, or making a charitable donation (yea right.) beyond $25, the available increments are $50 and $100. I always go with the check and just deposit it

Jetta09Chicago

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
ExxonMobil also offers a credit card loyalty incentive program with a rebate of $0.15 per gallon of fuel. In my area, Mobil diesel currently runs in the neighbourhood of $2.39 to $2.54 per gallon, so this translates to a roughly 6% rebate.

What do you think of the quality of Mobil diesel? I am thinking about trying Mobil diesel from an Illinois tollway oasis, which I am hoping would be a higher-turnover location.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
TDI
Jetta09Chicago said:
ExxonMobil also offers a credit card loyalty incentive program with a rebate of $0.15 per gallon of fuel. In my area, Mobil diesel currently runs in the neighbourhood of $2.39 to $2.54 per gallon, so this translates to a roughly 6% rebate.

What do you think of the quality of Mobil diesel? I am thinking about trying Mobil diesel from an Illinois tollway oasis, which I am hoping would be a higher-turnover location.
I've never purchased it so I wouldn't know. I would have to guess they are generally lower cetane. also, the problem with a $X/per gallon discount is that when prices skyrocket (anything higher than $3/gal) again $0.15/gal will be lower compared to 5% of total purchase. yes, we are talking about pennies here :eek:

BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Chevron, 49;
PetroCanada, 47-51
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Flying J, 40
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=200694

In the midwest I have always purchased from Shell, BP, and occasionally Speedway. going out west I only purchased from Chevron and Shell, and only once I went to a Sinclair. we can't control the quality of diesel we buy, buy we can control where we buy it: high volume sales locations are almost always the best bet

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I refuse to buy any fuel from Meijer's due to their total lack of caring about the quality of their product. I don't even use it in my torpedo heater.

-Jason

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Yeah, I stopped buying it there after learning about their algae problem. I've been using Wacker's exclusively since then (other than road trips). Much happier with Wacker's :D

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Remember......ALL diesel from the same "manufacturer" varies WIDELY across the country.

You couldn't PAY me to use BP here in Madison....2 locations in Milwaukee sell Premier.

Cenex co-op has good fuel here. Speedway is consistent but low cetane....

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
How does Marathon, or Valero compare? These two places is where I buy most of my fuel at. Wait, never mind, I just found Valero on the chart. I am guessing the higher the number the better?

jasonTDI

TDI
Hampton rd west side just a mile south of EVS in Menomonie falls/milwaukee. The other is up north about 15 miles from down town.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Down where I am, I've had good luck with Qwik Trip. Especially in the winter. My car seems to run well on it with very little smoke and good mileage. My worst tanks have come from the two Marathon stations close by. I could fill up at the BP that's about a half mile from my house, but they're generally about twenty cents more than most of the other places. The Qwik Trip I usually go to is the one in Burlington on the north side of town, across the street from Culver's. Not only is the fuel pretty good, but they give you free coffee with diesel purchase. Nice for starting a road trip. Especially an overnight one. :D

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep QT's Koch Gold (coke gold) is good fuel, just low cetane. Never had a gelling issue with them. I didn't know that about the coffee......hmmmmm...like I need anymore. Keurig coffee maker in the home and shop.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
The fuel at the Kwik Trip in Burlington is the (Koch's) Gold, and I've never had a bad tank there. I tend to favor the Kwik Trip on Hwy 20/I 94. They carry the Gold Plus (47-50 cetane) and they turn a lot of fuel here. Plus, you get to fill up with the big rigs :eek:.

They have a points card program too. Didn't know they did free coffee w/ fill. As gas station coffee goes, it's one of the better ones and I'm picky about coffee (I have a french press at work).

Bob

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I don't know if that's at all Qwik Trips or just the one in Burlington. I've never tried to get free coffee at any others. The Qwik Trip out by I94 is too far for me just to go and fill up. It's at least a half hour away from my house. I'd like to try that premium stuff some time just to see how my car does on it. Might have to do that the next time I'm going on an eastern road trip.

TDI
2004 golf
Jetta09Chicago said:

Ive had pretty good luck at the mobil stations in our area. Oasis fuel has never given me a problem, and some of the mobils (hoffman, buffalo grove) are often the cheapest.