Burpod Tuning

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Can you do the 81 pin ecu chips for an early ALH?

How does this work exactly?
i can do chips for the 80-pin ALH - it takes the same chip type as the AHU/1z. different tune of course. you just need to have the ecu socketed (the AHU/1Z ecus were socketed from the factory). if it's not socketed, and you can't do it yourself, i will be able to do that soon...

you use a chip programmer to burn the chips from files sent over email - it's easy to do. that way adjustments/fine-tuning can be done, and a programmer isn't that expensive. ~$75-$125usd depending.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Have any ALH owners here switched from RC3 to a Burpod tune?
Can't say I'm dissatisfied with RC3, been running it in the sedan and wagon for close to 15 years, but I'm curious how they compare.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Have any ALH owners here switched from RC3 to a Burpod tune?
Can't say I'm dissatisfied with RC3, been running it in the sedan and wagon for close to 15 years, but I'm curious how they compare.
being a long-time tdiclubber enthusiast (and i have only done a few RC retunes)... you'd be welcome to try something out if you want... just PM me...

03Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 92 Toyota swap (ongoing)
i can do chips for the 80-pin ALH - it takes the same chip type as the AHU/1z. different tune of course. you just need to have the ecu socketed (the AHU/1Z ecus were socketed from the factory). if it's not socketed, and you can't do it yourself, i will be able to do that soon...

you use a chip programmer to burn the chips from files sent over email - it's easy to do. that way adjustments/fine-tuning can be done, and a programmer isn't that expensive. ~$75-$125usd depending.
I was mostly curious how "he was able to give 3 tunes in the one set of chips". However since we are on the topic is there a chip programmer you recommend? My ecu is already socketed but I'm a ways away from actually having the engine running 🙄

Thanks

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
I was mostly curious how "he was able to give 3 tunes in the one set of chips". However since we are on the topic is there a chip programmer you recommend? My ecu is already socketed but I'm a ways away from actually having the engine running 🙄

Thanks
msa15 (eg, ahu/1z) and edc15 (eg, alh) ecu files can have 3 "tunes" in one because each transmission type (determined by soft coding) has it's own complete separate set of maps. one can just fill in the other codings for 4x4 and automatic with a different manual trans mapset. for people with an automatic (blech), you could fill all 3 in with an automatic-based mapset. you switch "tunes" by changing the soft coding in engine module. a tune is just a program + data (aka maps). the program is the same between all 3. the coding just selects which mapset/data to use.

the willem gq-4x4 programmer and the Tl866 are both excellent. the willem i believe is made in canada. TL866 is a little cheaper, at least the ones i've gotten- maybe they are clones, i'm not sure. but both work equally well.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Ohh, he's talking about corner braking while keeping throttle applied, and similar situations😎.
Yes and he wants to turn that feature off. I personally don't mind having it, like you said it's a nice high idle feature, but I don't really drive like a maniac either... :D

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
Yes and he wants to turn that feature off. I personally don't mind having it, like you said it's a nice high idle feature, but I don't really drive like a maniac either... :D
It is also there so you can get those really cool red brake rotors like the lamborghini's have if you really try on the highway!

Jim Lahey

TDI
01 Golf
I recently had burpod tune my 01 golf, what an amazing difference from the previous tune. This is my first and only TDI so I didn’t really realize how many drivability issues there were with the old tune which was on the car when I got it.

Smoke is way down, power curve is way better, I can actually rev match now, definitely got my moneys worth with and learned a lot about TDIs along the way

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
I recently had burpod tune my 01 golf, what an amazing difference from the previous tune. This is my first and only TDI so I didn’t really realize how many drivability issues there were with the old tune which was on the car when I got it.

Smoke is way down, power curve is way better, I can actually rev match now, definitely got my moneys worth with and learned a lot about TDIs along the way
basic hardware is 10mm .260s gt1756 :)

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Yesterday installed a set of .260 nozzles in my alh with vnt 15 and 11mm pump just to see what would happen. At first i thought this the great experiment bound to not go well. I mean .260 nozzles? Really? However with the right tune (@burpod) to go with that i must say that the result is amazing. It starts right up, has no lag whatsoever, the throttle is very responsive, and smoke level isn’t any worse than my malone stage 2 with the .205 dlc520 bosio. We still need some refinement but wow is all i can say at this point. Never has this car been so smooth in engine control.

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Can't wait to do the same with my Son's 2003 Golf ALH - Vnt 15, 11 mm pump, .260 injectors and of course a tune by @burpod.

irishjetta

TDI
03 silver Jetta TDI, 280k miles; 14 Golf 1.6 TDI (sold)
I can attest that a @burpod tune completely transformed my car from a vehicle to a toy I can't get enough of! In all its 280k miles of existence I don't think it's never been so peppy.

Can't say enough good things about Guthrie's (burpod) knowledge, passion, attention to detail, and brilliant tune. Couldn't recommend him enough, and so glad I stumbled on him and canceled my Malone tune appt.

And I'm getting 49mpg in mixed town/hwy when I have a little discipline. Which granted, is hard to do these days. Just hoping the clutch will hold out, but will have to replace that eventually.