Burning oil with diesel

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
None.
If you take the word safely out and then also include the cost of filters.... then yes. It can be done and lots of people here do all kinds of bad things like this for no reason other than to gamble the cost of pricey repairs.
Just to save a few bucks.
I know fuel is expensive now... just get a scangauge II and watch real time mpg and GPH and learn to be a better driver vs messing with muddy fuel.
Do a search. Literally hundreds of threads about this.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
Why not? People run Cooking oil. What I've done so far is one ounce per gallon. That perked it up like a good additive. I also tried two ounces per gallon which also ran very well. I've strained the oil. I end up with quite a bit of used oil. Looking for easy ways to get rid of it. I'm not talking huge amounts of oil to a tank full.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I've heard that if you cut oil (typically filtered / centrifuged waste motor oil ) with gasoline until it is the same viscosity as diesel fuel you should be OK on older diesels ... (yes people may say coking of injectors etc tho).

Have not read much about cutting cooking oil with gasoline but the results may be interesting (I think with veggie oil you have to worry more about getting gelling and people typically process it to bio diesel but that seems kinda complex for me).

Andrew

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Trying to pm you jake, but forums won't let me...idk why will try again later

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
How about you do a search and read the thousands of threads about burning oil in cars and what engines do best. PD engines dont do as well as others.
there are quite a few users here who do this and it would be worth reading up the posts they have done about such antics.
Talk to @[486] he has been doing muddy fuel for ages and hundreds of thousands of miles. he is probably the one to guide you to the path you desire the safest...
the right way to do this is to filter the oil with a spinnymotron (centrifuge filter) and cut it with a solvent and let it settle for a few months... basically making a bootleg biofuel..... it costs $$$ to do this right and if done that way can be a very good source of fuel but adding strait up motor oil from the drain plug to the tank is a HUGE nono in so many ways but is it going to hurt anything done a few times... no.... its just being burnt in a very inefficient way creating a large list of toxins and emissions that re not given out by traditional fuels.. its VERY bad for your ash count in your motor oil in the crank and also for the DEF
GlowBug is also into this so talk with him as well. im sure they will tell you i know nothing and am a moron... as you already know....

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Jake, In post #8 you claimed to ask for other opinions. Here's mine:
One ounce per gallon is less than 0.8% ratio. You are not going to persuade me that your seat-o'pants meter can tell how much it "perked it up".
The BHW uses synthetic engine oil which is difficult to burn. If your used oil is the Passat's crank drainings, you are trying to use a pretty much non-combustible oil as a combustion fuel.
My 2005 BHW wagon got 36 mpg average. Were I to use 'free' crank oil at a 0.8% blend rate, my distance traveled per fuel dollar spent would increase by about a quarter of a mile. There was enough inherent variation (air temperature, rain or dry, length of trip, rounding to the nearest dollar) in my tank to tank fuel economy that 36 mpg or 36.25 mpg would get lost in all the other noise.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Jake, In post #8 you claimed to ask for other opinions. Here's mine:
One ounce per gallon is less than 0.8% ratio. You are not going to persuade me that your seat-o'pants meter can tell how much it "perked it up".
The BHW uses synthetic engine oil which is difficult to burn. If your used oil is the Passat's crank drainings, you are trying to use a pretty much non-combustible oil as a combustion fuel.
My 2005 BHW wagon got 36 mpg average. Were I to use 'free' crank oil at a 0.8% blend rate, my distance traveled per fuel dollar spent would increase by about a quarter of a mile. There was enough inherent variation (air temperature, rain or dry, length of trip, rounding to the nearest dollar) in my tank to tank fuel economy that 36 mpg or 36.25 mpg would get lost in all the other noise.
This.jpeg

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sure that this user will want a 3rd opinion and a 4th and so on until he/she gets the bad advice that is being saught after here. Because yea.... synthetic motor oil from the tap is just the same as coocking oil lol... that's why we all get suckered into useing it in our engines.
I'll just go use coocking oil now in my crank case.... I'll save a ton of $ as I can just burn it for fuel later and it's all free from Burger King!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
How much used oil can I safely burn in my fuel in a pd engine?
Safe answer= none at all. The fuel system is designed for only diesel. My answer first depends on how long you let your oil settle for and how far you filter it. On my cr, I mix 2% gas in the oil in a drum. I mix it well. Then I let it sit 2 months (longer is better).
I then slowly pump it through a 100 micron cleanable SS filter, through a large water seperator and finally a 30 micron water stop filter. I pump it slow into another tank. Leaving the bottom third. It's mostly sludge. Then in the second barrel I reserculate it through a 30 mic filter, adding gas as nessisary to keep it thinner( doesn't take much)

After settling another month, I pump 30 of the 35 gallons into 5 gal cans. Putting the 5 remaining gals into the first tank.
I Use one on every empty tank fill. So around 30% used motor oil and 70% diesel.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
What I will end up doing is using 10 micron home water filters because their cheap and last quite awhile. Make sure it's a 10 micron absolute filters. And I push my cars fuel filter out till I see a drop in rail pressures.
Fyi I have a cp3, larger infectors, and no emissions. Smokes a little more. It's not excessive at all. But the exhaust smell is quite different. It's more... Potent. It does start a bit harder, but it still starts even at 30. Here's a video running the blend.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
See..... it's not a cheap setup to make used oil into fuel and you need hundreds of gallons of it over the year every year to make it pay off. Same with veg setup or bio. It will take time to pay off but eventually is worth doing if you can justify your time appropriately.
OP isnt going to do anything but just pour strait up waste oil into the tank and destroy the fuel system and come back complaining

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
What I will end up doing is using 10 micron home water filters because their cheap and last quite awhile. Make sure it's a 10 micron absolute filters. And I push my cars fuel filter out till I see a drop in rail pressures.
Fyi I have a cp3, larger infectors, and no emissions. Smokes a little more. It's not excessive at all. But the exhaust smell is quite different. It's more... Potent. It does start a bit harder, but it still starts even at 30. Here's a video running the blend.
I totally get the appeal of using a free waste product to get around when diesel is $6/gal, but I think you're inviting problems running waste oil in a commonrail. Those larger injectors probably weren't cheap, and even with the steps you're taking to "refine" the waste oil, I think it will take a toll on the injectors before too long. Let us know how it works out, either way.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
Ok guys, you've convinced me. I ran 2 tanks. One with 1 ounce per gallon and one with 2 ounces per gallon. It's not worth the risk. I was thinking in terms of a cheap additive more than a heavy mix.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Additives are basically snake oil aside from anti gelling and sulfur correction and the occasional cleaning but cleaning is a closed loop thing.....
Bottom line, unless you are doing bulk home brew fuels or keeping it from gelling..... your just adding to the cost per mile either way.
If it was worth doing and it worked well nearly all of us would be putting waste in our tanks.
The really old diesels do not care either way but there are not many of them left.....

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Ok guys, you've convinced me. I ran 2 tanks. One with 1 ounce per gallon and one with 2 ounces per gallon. It's not worth the risk. I was thinking in terms of a cheap additive more than a heavy mix.
a little per tank is not going to harm anything. many run a bit of tranny fluid or 2 stroke oil with every fillup.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I totally get the appeal of using a free waste product to get around when diesel is $6/gal, but I think you're inviting problems running waste oil in a commonrail. Those larger injectors probably weren't cheap, and even with the steps you're taking to "refine" the waste oil, I think it will take a toll on the injectors before too long. Let us know how it works out, either way.
4k miles so far and theres not an issue yet. granted i will be doing a diesel purge every year. run some marvel directly to clean stuff up. was about 1500 for the set of injectors.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
4k miles so far and theres not an issue yet. granted i will be doing a diesel purge every year. run some marvel directly to clean stuff up. was about 1500 for the set of injectors.
So if you're saving about $25 per tank, it will take 60 tanks to cover injector replacement. The homebrew will also accelerate wear to the CP3 hpfp. If you look on the truck forums you can find a number of guys who have tried this on the commonrail trucks with poor results generally. Many of them use them same settling/filtering/centrifuging procedures in addition to using a two tank system and it still kills their injectors.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
So if you're saving about $25 per tank, it will take 60 tanks to cover injector replacement. The homebrew will also accelerate wear to the CP3 hpfp. If you look on the truck forums you can find a number of guys who have tried this on the commonrail trucks with poor results generally. Many of them use them same settling/filtering/centrifuging procedures in addition to using a two tank system and it still kills their injectors.
They are also running a much higher percentage of oil. Also. That's about a year of driving for me. I can also get a used set of injectors. Or refurbished ones cheaper.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having to replace your injectors every year and your hpfp every few years wouldn't be much fun, imo. Poorly performing injectors also won't be doing the pistons/cylinder bores any favors.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Having to replace your injectors every year and your hpfp every few years wouldn't be much fun, imo. Poorly performing injectors also won't be doing the pistons/cylinder bores any favors.

Once a year? Where ya getting that info from?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just saying it wouldn't be much fun, not that you'd actually get a 35k mile service life from your piezo injectors running ~35% wmo consistently (but that does happen to be about what I'd expect). Keep us apprised if you stick with it.