Burnaby: new BioDiesel location

CommuterBoy

TDI
93 TD Passat
West Coast's bio actually comes from their competitor back east, Rothesay.

The Vancouver Biodiesel Co-op (of which I'm a member) purchases from them. Last time I checked West Coast was also purchasing soy based bio from Minnesota, maybe for winter usage.

I've dropped down to B30 during the current cold snap with no problems.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
I talked to Curtis from Cascadie today.
He says that they source from various suppliers (including West Coast).
Right now he said they are using soy, but in the summer they use tallow based bio because of the better performance.
He also said they are using ULSD for fossil diesel

I went to that clean air car show today. There was a pushed aimed at fleets. It was good to see some government reps there looking at turning fleets into bio blends.

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I went to the clean air show too. Wished I knew some people to say hi to. Seemed like everyone one was already friends. We just walked around and listened for a bit.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, I agree. Seems like most people were from Vancouver bio co op.

No one replied to my post about the show. Would have been nice to meet some TDI'ers.

I didn't really know anyone there. I was only there from 3-4.

I walked around a bit, and I wasn't too impressed with some of the people there. There wasn't much knowledge about biodiesel and some of the explanations were laughable.

I did talk to some strangers about running bio, and told them about tdiclub.com to get real info about it.

Good idea though. I hope it becomes annual and there becomes more support.

I was also suprized that Curtis advised not to use B40 right now.

Maybe we need to get a Vancouver GTG going. Meet at a biostation and go for a drive? I'm getting my Sprint 520's installed this week. Need a reason for a cruise..

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
TDiMike said:
If anyone goes out toward Lickman Rd in Chiliwack and makes routine trips into NewWest, Coquitlam or Burnaby, I'd be super grateful if you could bring in some PowerService Fuel Additive (white bottle32oz) from the Lickman ESSO. Willing to meet you, and pay the costs if it's on your way (ie don't go out of your way for this!). Anyways, PM if you can help a fellow TDI'er. With the roads the way they are, I don't want to make the trek out there just for this.

Mike

PS I haven't been able to find this stuff anywhere else....
Hi Mike,
As much as I hate Walmart, the Walmart at Lougheed Center has some. I picked up a bottle there last week during the cold.
I hear Canadian tire has it too, but haven't seen any.
I've heard the Autogas off of Sprott has it too.

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI
I contacted Powerservice, and just got an email.

Thank you for your interest in purchasing Power Service Diesel Additives. We have a distributor in the Vancouver area. They will be able to assist you in obtaining product.

Westec Distributors
1900 Savage Road
Richmond, B.C. V6V3A5

Phone: (604)270-0361
Contact name: Russell Arnot

Thank you,
Brian Bichler
Power Service Regional Manager

EDIT: Jan 27th 2007
I found some PowerService at West-Can Auto Parts (Imperial/Royal Oak) in Burnaby 604-434-7707. They have Powerservice (white and silver bottles)

Last edited:

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
bluesmoker said:
He is wrong, I have tried my credit card and it doesnt work. Get a card lock or else no bio
Card lock member for a year now
I filled up at Byrne Road last night after hours. I used to credit card in the card lock, no problem.
Was kinda weird that there is no reciept, but worked fine and the B20 was flowing.

FYI on pricing
Diesel 94.9
B5 94.4
B20 92.9
B40 91.4

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Byrne Rd & Marine Way Biodiesel carlock.

one user says credit cards accepted, one says they don't. I guess we need a couple more votes!

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
CAATS_Man said:
because they store their Bio-diesel above ground there was no BD available; it simply wouldn't flow at 0 deg C.
In the recent cold snap, I put three 300ml bottles of B40 outside, and in the morning all three bottles were clear, no sign of cloudiness, let alone gelling. According to the weatherman the ovenight low was -9degC, and according to my two outdoor thermometers I recorded -8degC

The B40 ws obtained from the Husky at Nordel Court, and is made from recycled canola oil.

Afterward I put one of the bottles in the freezer, and two hours later I inspected it and it was definately cloudy, and showed some lumpy bits indicating gelling.

So, I would presume that the B40 we get is good to -10degC, but not much more.

cheers,

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
vw4life said:
Byrne Rd & Marine Way Biodiesel carlock.

one user says credit cards accepted, one says they don't. I guess we need a couple more votes!
If i'm wrong, then I guess it's free fuel at Byrne Rd & Marine Way!
I almost want to go back down there a take a picture of the big sign above the cardlock booth that says "Major credit cards accepted"

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
gdr703 said:
So, I would presume that the B40 we get is good to -10degC, but not much more.

cheers,
I had some B40 from Nordel in my TDI over the cold snap. I didn't have any problems. I added some PowerService near the end of the period just in case.

I'm going to run B20 until spring to be on the safe side though
:)

chadderbox

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Filled up at Byrne Road yesterday for my first tank of BioD. Only went with the B5 since i'm still breaking in my engine (only at 2k) and will work my way up after a few more tanks.
Credit card worked fine for me (after hours), although i agree its a little unsettling how you don't get a reciept. Once you swipe your card and enter the pump number, you get a message that says "Use Pump Now" and the door to the credit card slot slams shut :) Kind of got a kick out of this, although it kind of freaked me out also. But it all worked out fine.
Found the extra large nozzle to be a bit tricky though (not to mention they pump fuel way faster than regular nozzles). Venting became an issue since you can't see down the fuel neck to see when you get to the top, so i had a nice big gush of fuel spew out onto my car. Makes it kind of impossible to get your fuel up to the filler neck without the possibility of spillage. But overall i was pretty happy to have 24 hour access to BioD.

CAATS_Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Pkg2, ESP, DSG, & 8 airbags
"But overall i was pretty happy to have 24 hour access to BioD"

To get your receipt at Husky/Mohawk on Nordel Way you reinsert your credit card after fueling. The display recognizes your number and asks, "Print receipt?" Press the Yes button and it prints your receipt. It probably works the same at Byrne Rd.

CM

jando

TDI
2005 golf
Filled up with b40 at marine/byrne on Saturday and definitely pay at the pump, no cardlock required. Be prepared to get wet if it's raining! no cover.
Had a couple rough starts with b40 when the cold snap hit but still ran smooth, filled with b20 and no more rough starts.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
reports from the nordel location were that if you swiped your credit card a 2nd time after you filled it would print a receipt.

-D

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
N_J said:
FYI on pricing
Diesel 94.9
B5 94.4
B20 92.9
B40 91.4
When I asked them a couple weeks ago, they told me it was ULSD

absurd_username

TDI
2005 Spice Red Jetta Wagon
jando said:
Filled up with b40 at marine/byrne on Saturday and definitely pay at the pump, no cardlock required. Be prepared to get wet if it's raining! no cover.
Had a couple rough starts with b40 when the cold snap hit but still ran smooth, filled with b20 and no more rough starts.
:mad: Tried filling up tonight at about 10:30pm at Marine and Byrne but paying with my Mastercard would not work for me. I kept getting a message that said "BLANK" on the screen. I had to scoot over to Nordel hoping I still had enough in the tank to make it. Filled up OK at Nordel.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what the deal is.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Maybe Mastercard vs. Visa?? Its happened to me before with something else.

Also, I noticed prices on Diesel and Bio are up about 5 cents this week. :-(

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Filled up my F250 the other day with Cascadia B20 in Burnaby. I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect or what but I swear my engine is runner quieter and smoother.
Did a few 100 k's over the past couple days, just topped up the tank with some more B20 for the long ride home. This will be a good test if the MPG drops. 100% pure city driving over the past couple days was 17MPG. I believe the price was around $101.9.

PS I just filled up after hours and the machine did take my VISA card.

I did fill up my TDI w/ Cascadia B20 in Penticton (FYI at the Chevron plant) last month, this location isn't as handy cause there is no after hours service.

Last edited:

Wyatt Earp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Guys:

Just to throw my 2 cents in here:
ALL on and offroad DINO Diesel is ULSD in North America. Farm fuel, Marine fuel and some grades of Home heating oil are not at the 15 PPM rating yet but it will happen.

Running anything on BIO-Diesel is a good choice. The troubles encountered will be during cold starts on a cold day as it does not have a regulated gelling point yet. This means that retailer A may have better cold starts but retailer B may have better lube and cetane values. Of course this time of year, even on the wet coast cold starts is more of a concern to us. The Lube in the Bio is high quality and is the answer to all older cars (and trucks) running on mechanical pumps which may experience seal leaks on the new stuff.

Ways to combat this are many but adding a simple quantity of Zero weight ashless motor oil to the fuel tank is also a simple solution to lube problems. Unlike what an old trucker may tell you never add ATS to your tank if the car is newer than 20 years and never add kerosene to the tank if it is newer than 7 years. These practices cause far more harm than good.

Cheers!

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Filled up with my visa card after hours. Nozzel on the north size is smallest. No reciept printer is installed so no receipts were given.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
3 weeks ago D2 was 93.9 cents and B5 was 93.4 cents, B20 (91.9 or something.)

RUG went up 8% but diesel went up 12.5% What gives??????

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I'm going to go pump a tank of B5 tonight. Gotta remember to e-mail in and complain about the lack of a receipt printer.

Hopefully it pumps in this cold.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Relax, studies have proved that b20 can be used down to -20 celcius with no problems.

b5 should pump like my grandma's tea:p