Bulb out warning light

VW Heinz

TDI
2013 passat
I am about to drill a small hole into the cluster to kill this idiot light.I have VCDS but it doesn't help.I have not taken the cluster out and have no idea what it looks like on the back side.But my guess is that the whole cluster is sealed and sonic welded together with out any excess to it's guts.Looking at VW parts it shows a complete cluster as replacement.What will be my consequences in sticking a drill in there?I think it needs a lobotomy.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
You could do like Penny of Big Bang Theory and put some tape over it.

...changing the cluster probably won't make the light go away, since that is not the root cause of the light.

VW Heinz

TDI
2013 passat
no,all stock.All the bulbs work,idiot light is on all the time now.The cluster says front right clearance light before that it was left clearance light.I removed both headlight assembly's to make sure had good contact and put dielectric to the contacts.All is good there.I have a funny feeling that the bulbs don't get the full amount of juice quickly enough causing the fault.Something like a bigger fuse block and fuse.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
You know, I do get the eventual "right-side marker light" and the bulb is good, but the message also goes away on it's own and only bothers me for a day, only once in a blue moon.

I agree, there could be something in the wiring. The CAN system is expecting a certain resistance from every place and not getting it. Did you replace any bulbs, perhaps a bulb was replaced with a lower wattage one?

That side marker of mine, I believe there is a 15W bulb, but another identical lower wattage which might trigger the message...I actually need to look at that myself, but it is so eventual in my case.

VW Heinz

TDI
2013 passat
All the bulbs are original.At first i had what you say a intermittent situation that became more pronounced with time.Now it stays on all the time.I did what other people said turn the light switch thru it's range and it'll go out That worked for a while but not anymore.Now maybe the age of the bulb has something to do with it.As the filament ages it might draw more current to be lid.This is junk if you ask me.If there navigation and backup camera was this sensitive it would be helpful.And i can't find a wiring diagram for the cluster either.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
As you were getting close to hinting at...the solution, even though the bulbs are working, might be to replace the bulbs. (?)