BUILT 6 Speed gearbox

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
Well the synchros in my 6 speed were starting to get weak. Second and third gear were grinding if I shifted to quickly. So I took the car over to Bartuning and we proceded to tear the gearbox apart. We decided not to chance rebuilding the gearbox with worn gears so second and third gear are going to be replaced along with 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear synchos.

Well we found a retaining ring broken in three pieces, which would have eventually caused more severe problems.

Since the gearbox was completely torn down some upgrades had to be performed. The first being a Peloquin LSD. Second we had the entire gear stack, selector forks, dogs, main shaft, ring gear, and I mean everything sent out for crio, heat, and REM coating. You can find a link to REM coatings in my signature. Basically its a 1 micron ceramic coating that gives the gears a mirror finish and greatly reduces the friction.

So the gears got back today, I haven't seen them yet, but after work I'm going to stop by and try to get the photo documentation started.

Last edited:

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
Pictures are worth a thousand words

Well here you can see the "extra" second gear that we had treated. The rest of the internals should have there photoshoot tomorrow. This one is going to be my paperweight at the office.

I couldn't get a good picture of the teeth, but the same quality of coating is on them as well. When you run your finger over the gear you swear that it has a coating of oil on it, but its really the oil from your skin. We asked the company specifically about this and they assured us that they were dry, its just the coating is that slick.

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
Slave2school said:
It's a shame all the beauty will be hidden in an oily dark gearbox.
Yes, that's true. But everytime I go to shift this thing I'll be reminded of whats inside. I can't wait to see how my mileage improves. Maybe I can get the RC3 PD up to 60mpg.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Oh for sure, I was just thinking aloud, not knocking the concept! I love the idea, hopefully it pans out as well as expected.

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
Slave2school said:
Oh for sure, I was just thinking aloud, not knocking the concept! I love the idea, hopefully it pans out as well as expected.
No offense taken, just agreeing with you that all those shiny gears are going to be hidden from view. Well at least until I blow the gearbox up again. :eek:

Staley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
82 Rabbit TD / 00 Golf RC3!
Nathan,
I uploaded some pictures for you after I assembled the gear stacks tonight :)
YOU forgot to log out of my computer when you uploaded the pics last night...
so I stuck the new ones in YOUR picture poster! cool ;)

it will be finished tomorrow I hope :)

later
Mike

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
delvi__acevedo said:

I'll definately keep you guys updated as to how well this thing performs. Hopefully we'll get everything back together tomorrow.

Now I just need to find a set of centering rings for the new 15lb Ekei's that NTB was nice enough to buy for me. 17x8 and only 15lbs. We'll see if I can keep them straight.

We should have updated pictures of the assembly tomorrow, stay tuned. :D

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
While on the subject if CRIO, has anyone had any engine parts treated? I hear that this process is used on many braking surfaces of emergency vehicles and a while ago I had read about a person that has his whole engine crio'd with huge MPG improvements. If my gear box ever goes, I will think about following your foot steps.

Last edited:

Staley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
82 Rabbit TD / 00 Golf RC3!
Nathan,
here are some more pictures for you :)

I'm almost finished with the build :)

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
Well everything is back together and the tranny feels absolutely perfect. When you shift it feels like it just falls into gear. Very slick. I'll report back the findings over the next couple of tanks.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
NathanMSL said:
Well everything is back together and the tranny feels absolutely perfect. When you shift it feels like it just falls into gear. Very slick.
I'll bet! With all that coating, are you sure that your ERF is not now reclassified as a DSG? :D

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
A shop I worked at has a REM setup. It is actually a polishing process rather than a coating. A vibratory bowl, ours was ~5' dia, holds ceramic media with a size and shape for part size and desired result. This is not unique to REM, what they bring to the table however is their special formulations of the fluid added to the bowl. It is similar to soapy water in feel. The bowl shimmies, the parts move in a slow rotation, and we ran parts for 1-6 hours depending. We used to do tranny gears and ring & pinion for local speed shops as side jobs. The goals were always smoother operation and reduction of parasitic horsepower loss. These benefits are definitely real and the parts look sweet. Have them do your valve cover or something for looks, I did a stainless pistol of mine and some brass whale bookends for a co-worker.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
My 5th gear was Swaintech coated for low friction. Sure wasn't shinny like yours.

I get 45-46mpg during normal driving in mixed conditions. ALH engine 11mm pump --764's..

What type of tranny fluid does your builder suggest with the coated parts and LSD? That will be the factor that allows the low friction coatings to work there best.

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
03_01_TDI said:
What type of tranny fluid does your builder suggest with the coated parts and LSD? That will be the factor that allows the low friction coatings to work there best.
Well, we're going to try something a little different for the tranny fluid. The recommended fluid is GL5, which works well for protecting the gears. GL4 (synchromesh) protects the synchro more than the gears. So the first fill is mostly GL5 with some GL4. I'll run this for a week, then change out to straight GL4. The reasoning being that the gears are protected to a point with the REM coating, and that the untreated synchros will need all the help they can get.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
mrchill said:
where is the best place to pick up peloquin fo an 02m?
oooOOOOoooo... that would be a nice addition. if anything ever goes ka-blammo in mine I'll install one of those.

I agree - MJM had pretty competitive prices on them when I picked up the one I was going to install in the 02J.. one pops up every once in a while on Vortex too - that's where I got mine.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Nathan: would you care to estimate how much you've spent so far on the 6-speed tranny?