Building a pd

Jimmybid

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta wagon and 2006 BRM Jetta
I’m looking to build my first engine it’s a BRM and I’m wondering what other people have done for performance parts pistons, rods, camshafts, etc also what head gaskets and compression ratio they used. Can I get a BRM sleeved when I get the head and block resurfaced? Also what power figures were people seeing with said parts? Any help or guidance greatly accepted.

Jimmybid

TDI
I’m looking to make it rwd and use a td conversions plate to mate it to a cd009 for a street car e30 I’ve seen people make big power w a pd in the future I really want it to be a 300+ hp with popcorn limiter but for now I want to get the engine cleaned and rebuilt with a bottom end that can handle that power and modify head turbo and injectors as I go but engine in the car stock tune on a bullet proof motor

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I’m looking to make it rwd and use a td conversions plate to mate it to a cd009 for a street car e30 I’ve seen people make big power w a pd in the future I really want it to be a 300+ hp with popcorn limiter but for now I want to get the engine cleaned and rebuilt with a bottom end that can handle that power and modify head turbo and injectors as I go but engine in the car stock tune on a bullet proof motor
Save yourself some headaches and just get a bhw

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
FYI - that's a MKV engine. You're in the MKIV section. All 3 north american PD engines (BEW,BRM,BHW) are similar and can make power very easily. I'm a BEW fan (and prefer the MKIV over the MKV and B5.5 passat so that's a plus). Turbo and tune will put a BEW/BRM close to 200hp with a hefty amount of torque. As jimbote mentioned, the BHW would make a better starting point for bigger power. 2.0 vs 1.9 of the other 2 and it's already pointed in the right direction!!! It needs the balance shaft module (BSM) deleted or at least upgraded. Turbo, tune, injectors and maybe a cam and you will have a beast. It's the torque numbers you want anyway.... And skip the popcorn crap.

Jimmybid

TDI
I was looking for a BHW and couldn’t find one but my daily was the mkv BRM so when the transmission got messed up I pulled the engine to use instead. Is the BHW that much better bolted to the cd009? Or better bc I’d be using Audi transmission?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Better because it's already a longitudinally mounted engine and a 2.0 vs 1.9. 300_hp is way past where most people go because the torque numbers start breaking things and it gets real expensive to hit those numbers. B5.5 passats show up all the time with dead auto trans.

Jimmybid

TDI
Is a BHW so much better I should get rid of my brm tho because I have one on hand ik there’s going to be a lot of fabrication but getting a new engine is gonna set me back quite a bit

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Shouldn't be. Balance delete would be a good idea and BEW externals would have to be swapped on.
Thanks, kind of what I suspected, but it's always best to ask people who might have already been down this road.

Steve

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are differences in pistons on some of the PDs (no relief cuts on BEW?) Can't put them with a head that requires it. Other way around is OK, but not ideal.