Build Update CJAA

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You'd have made a bit more on a non awd dyno. I'd say that's a good baseline to start from. How much boost was that? Give that garage door a crack next time :) .

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Mustang dyno are pretty reliable. You should test it in 5th gear instead of 4th.
Need to increase rail pressure ..seen the log ..+300bar minimum
more fuel on top and adjust things for lower smoke level
now its just too much smoke imo. I ran 360 smokeless , not even a haze . I had a puff of smoke at about 2000rpm then 0.
Now you really need to take it to the next level. You are close, but the difficult part starts now.
Good job anyway!

Turbo is big so it will be difficult to spool it without a lot of fuel ..need to compromise.

Last edited:

GearGuy2014

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Wow just ran across your build - this thing looks awesome! I'm Stage 3 and this looks like an animal in comparison! Also Im located in Northern IL, not sure where abouts in Wisconsin you are near.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Looks like you passed your egt threshold by a nozzle failure. 10 bucks says the nozzle melted a hole right though the piston. Not sure what caused this, failed nozzle perhaps?
Glad to see progress.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've been meaning to drill my manifold for 4 pyro probes, so I can watch the power balance with the junk nozzles I've been running
Maybe you should do something similar, then you'd see one was running real hot long before you'd run it hard enough to burn a piston.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
It really sucks mate, definitely a cracked piston, had a similar failure once due to bad nozzles that were overfueling...Hopefully not much damage done to the head and block...

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Thankful for lots of engines at local bone yards. Picking up two for $900 on Friday.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Its getting an expensive game modding the 2.0 CR tdi... I would go a4 b7 and start with a 3.0 CR tdi instead... you can fit quattro to it easily + its easy to come across parts and the bottom end can take some pounding as few on this site proved !

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been meaning to drill my manifold for 4 pyro probes, so I can watch the power balance with the junk nozzles I've been running
Maybe you should do something similar, then you'd see one was running real hot long before you'd run it hard enough to burn a piston.
This isn't a bad idea. More data would be useful. One hot cylinder gets mixed with the rest at the collector.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the thought has crossed my mind. It also would make a pretty good white stinky cloud when the hard starting happened.

I had Malone turn on glow plugs for every start and it seemed to correct the problem. If the failure and hard starting were indeed related, then the always on glow plugs cured the symptoms, but masked the problem.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With deals like that on used engines, I don't think I'd bother tearing too deep into the bottom ends.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
That torque number seem very low for the HP. I wonder if its just a trait of the CR TDI? A VE TDI would hit 300 ft/lbs by 170HP or so.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's quite a large turbo- makes power higher in the rev band.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
That torque number seem very low for the HP. I wonder if its just a trait of the CR TDI? A VE TDI would hit 300 ft/lbs by 170HP or so.
torque is great
if you want to break parts and lift heads and slip clutches and...

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Porting was a chore indeed. But I have more time than money. I think I did a better job than the engine shop did last time. Was good to have a ported head for comparison.

With this turbo not really lighting up until 3,000 rpm, the horse power number is the one that I am paying close attention to. 486 is right, keeping the power higher in the Rev range protects parts, dmf, transmission etc.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Excited to hopefully have all my learning the hard way behind me.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI

Well, it's alive! After many months, dozens of hours in the garage, my car is running again. Tremendously appreciative of the member here TDISYNCRO, who helped me with the valve train setup. He put in a ton of effort to help me verify my setup would work. I don't think I would have attempted to use the cams I have without the testing and verification he helped me with.

Can't believe how buttery smooth the engine runs without bent valves! 250 miles on so far. EGT's are low! On a long pull, it barely cracks 600°C. Little smokey if I am hard on the accelerator below 2,000 rpm but once the turbo lights up, down to a light haze.

https://youtu.be/1Ceyntb6vOQ

Still a few bugs to work out. For some reason, after sitting overnight it takes a few cranks to fire up. Once it's warmed up, fires up perfect. Going to check rail pressure on first crank up this morning to verify that I have rail pressure right away. If not, may try putting the auxiliary pump back in.

Hopefully can get it sorted and start cranking up rail pressure. Look forward to sharing a dyno sheet soon.

Respectfully,
Travis

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
EGT's are low! On a long pull, it barely cracks 600°C. Little smokey if I am hard on the accelerator below 2,000 rpm but once the turbo lights up, down to a light haze.
I've been running into this lately, low egts with black smoke. Confusing because usually smoke means too much fuel, and therefore high EGT...
I think that I'm just running too much injection timing advance, but haven't bothered to fiddle with the maps :\

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been running into this lately, low egts with black smoke. Confusing because usually smoke means too much fuel, and therefore high EGT...
I think that I'm just running too much injection timing advance, but haven't bothered to fiddle with the maps :\
I'm not surprised by smoke down low with such a big turbo. Will take some fine tuning to clean up the smoke on the bottom rpm range without creating more lag, but I think it can be done.

On my last build, that's exactly what I had, lower EGT's and tons of black smoke. What had happened was that I had tweeked valves and they weren't sealing properly. Lower compression, and hitting the throttle harder for the same result. It doesn't mean that is your situation, but it would be easy to run a compression test to check. That is what I should have done last time instead of continue to just beat it harder until a valve head broke off.