Build Log: D0U8L3M's 2005 B5.5

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Seen a few of these types of threads on here, so I'm sure some people will be interested.
Basically a continuation of my advice thread [no this car has not nickel and dimed me as some would like to think ;) ]

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=461328

Here's how she started

Current mods:
-Sport coding on the transmission
-TSW Camber wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Sport comp 2's
-VW OEM full votex body kit
-Rear fog light & euroswitch, window key fob mod(KVW100+), other VCDS tweaks
-Balance shaft delete with brm sprocket set
-Kamei front grill w/europlate :p

Upcoming mods (hopefully mid to late June):
-Manual transmission swap w/malone stage 2 tune
-Bilstein sport shocks
-Aluminum Thor front skid plate (idParts)
-Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure guages

Future mods:
-BV43 Turbo upgrade
-Cam? (not 100% sold on this, seems like too high of a cost for minimal gains, especially when the stock one should last just fine with the correct oil)
Ill post some more progress when the work is done but for now here are some pics of how she sits.
Early On @ waterfest last year, with some cool ppl I met (that Rs4 tho <3)

Horsebarn Hill (UCONN)

Me trying to blend in at Dunkin Donuts :D

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
I'd also highly recommend getting your fenders replaced if they are rusted from VW via their corrosion warranty if you still have it.

They replaced both my front fenders, and also replaced the whole front passenger door since the latch was rusted.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Got some NewSouth guages in anticipation for the manual swap/tune. Had to make my own bracket but I'll take pics/explain after the JB weld on the radio cage dries &#55357;&#56834;

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Finally have some more updates!!!

Car has been at 413 Auto all week getting its manual swap. Mike has been sending me pics as he goes which is awesome in itself. Getting to see how the process is done is really interesting, especially from an electrical engineers perspective. I can code and do small things on cars, but id rather leave this larger work up to the pros and Mike has been delivering!

Only snag we've had is that Frans made a small mistake and sent us the wrong clutch master cyinder lol luckily I have google voice and gave him a call, he looked into it and for some reason the one I got is shorter Ill post the pics for comparison in case anyone is curious. Frans is gonna ship me the correct one and hopefully it will get here on Monday. Great service and communication with him throughout, im very happy with his business and would HIGHLY recommend to go through him for euro parts.

And the best part here's all the pics!

Automatic removed! Thing is massive for a car compared to something like the 4l60e in my s10.

Fresh new sachs dual mass flywheel

Manual ready to go in

Verified its a DUK, wondering why that housing is a bit chewed up but doesn't really matter

Its In!!!

INCORRECT Master cylinder length part no: 8E1 721 401 S

CORRECT Master cylinder (photo from frans idk the part number, will update when i get it)

OH BOY

Hope to have some pics of the shocks and skid plate install, gonna have to wait to pick the car up till next week cuz of the clutch master issue, and also need to wait for Malone to get back from vacation as they are closed this week

More updates to follow :)

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
That's a big performance jump going from auto to stage 2 manual. You're going to love it!

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
That's a big performance jump going from auto to stage 2 manual. You're going to love it!
Haha yeam I'm super excited. Only bad thing is that I'm pretty out of practice with driving manual, so I just gotta take it super easy the first few hundred miles and really practice my ass off.

Some more updates:

Front shocks installed (rears needed new bumpstops)

EGT Probe install

I had Mike install the probe in the manifold directly because i want to keep the EGR and use both dynamic idle and dynamic EGR especially in the winter (I'm that friend that's always cold lol)

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Updates!

Documenting some more stuff so I have it all in one place for the most part.

So this car has been great so far as my daily and other than a few hiccups with the transmission setup its been pretty reliable (knock on wood).

With my manual swap I started out with a Sachs SRE clutch and Dual Mass flywheel. This ran great....for about 30-40k miles.

First issue was the flywheel which somehow manged to lose all its grease and the springs must have screwed into each other causing a clanging noise https://youtu.be/CdriLbACR2k

I rectified this with a new LUK DMF which worked fine after that.

Second issue was the clutch itself, the clutch hub broke away from the clutch material ring. The clutch material was in great shape, not sure why the hub broke. Sachs claims misalignment but I think that's BS so they wouldn't have to warranty it

Links to old setup and carnage:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5576568&postcount=15

To replace this setup I opted to go with Matt Whitbreads heavy SMF and a B5 RS4 clutch. This required me to design a custom pilot bearing spacer, heres all the info:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5579564&postcount=18
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5583665&postcount=19
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5583665&postcount=20

The new clutch has been working out great so far, but I'm eager for more power so next up on the list is a new 1756 turbo from Xman out in the UK and an updated tune from malone. Went with a 1756 because that's the biggest direct bolt on I could find.

I'm going to see how far the stock nozzles get me but I think Ill be sending out a set of BHW injectors I have to DBW to get some Race 783 Nozzles installed.

Xman says this turbo is good to 2 bar and 220-230bhp. Will be installing the turbo soon with a 4bar Map sensor (Bosch Part number: 0 281 006 059) so well see how it does.

Malone is working on my tune now, I pulled my stage 2 off with a flashzilla and sent it to them with some logs so that will be updated and uploaded to the car when they are done =D

I think this is just about the max I can go with this transmission as long as I don't go crazy with it. That other turbo in the box is an 1856 for my S10 BHW swap.

Will update when this stuff gets done, I'm pretty excited. :D

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
glad to see you're still at it three years in!
not really a "tuner" myself, but i like the devotion beyond it being "just a car".
keep it up :)
don't think i didn't notice the S10 swap. any details on that?

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
glad to see you're still at it three years in!
not really a "tuner" myself, but i like the devotion beyond it being "just a car".
keep it up :)
don't think i didn't notice the S10 swap. any details on that?
Haha yeah this is definitely more than "just a car" for me. One of my really close friends now who I met in college got me into the TDIs and it was what we bonded over in the very beginning. Now years later were both engineers and working on some really fun projects. This was his grandmothers car and shes always been great to him and I so I'm glad I can keep it running.

As much as I'd love to have a c8 Vette or a fancy sports car, on the public roads you can never utilize all that power, which is why I have a hunger for torque. Torque=fun, HP=how long you can sustain that fun/max speed. if you do close to 100 on the highway you're gonna get pulled over and get arrested for reckless driving, so why bother with such a car on the street?

I like to tell people that I just live in the lower range of the power band and its been the best driving experience I've had yet. Linear power on demand at low RPM is what its all about IMO. Plus even as an electrical engineer I absolutely hate all the unnecessary electronics in new cars. Just more failure points to have and annoyances like the damn auto engine off at a light. Which most cars don't remember your setting when you turn it off the next time you start the car.

I have a whole thread for the truck here

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=489711

Thanks!