Bucking/jerking - Dealer Can't Diagnose

Jbrady13

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Hi Everyone, I am new here, but a long time reader. I have owned my 2015 Jetta SE TDI since summer 2017. Recently it started having a problem, and has been at the dealer going on two weeks now. I was hoping to get your thoughts on the matter.

2015 Jetta TDI, 61,000 miles. I was on vacation in northern Michigan a few weeks ago, on a two lane highway, came up on a slight hill. Cruise control on, going about 70 mph. The car begin to jerk, it felt like someone was hitting the brake pedal. No CEL or lights coming on. I turned cruise off, pulled off, and kept going, and it kept happening. I pulled off again, turned the car off and on, and the problem didn't happen again. I went 60 miles to my destination, where I was for three days, city driving, and it didn't act up again until I left town. I was on the freeway, doing 75 ish, no cruise control, and it started up again. I had 400 miles to go to get home, so I pulled off, turned off and on, and it was good for another 350ish miles until I was on a ramp from one freeway to another, very steep incline, and it started acting up really badly. Glow plug light flashing, foot all the way into the pedal and it was going about 40 mph, but accelerated in surges, not corresponding to how I had my foot on the gas pedal. I managed to pull over, 20 miles from home, restart, and all was good until the next day at a red light, I start to go off the light, and it does the same thing again, will barely move, and when it does it is super jerky, glow plug flashing, and I have to restart. I take it into the dealer the next morning.

The dealer I took it to has always been my go to. I had a relative who worked as a regional sales manager for many years (no longer) and always said this dealer had the best service. They have always done good by me. Service manager tells me they can't get the car to act up. He took it all over under different conditions. Finally after taking it to a spot with a big hill, had the computer hooked up, he got it to throw four codes, three of which were the same code, for the turbo.It did not light up any warning lights, and he said he wouldn't have seen any codes if he did not have the computer hooked up. After a week and one day total at the dealer, they tell me that they found a super small hole in the intake hose (I apologize if thats not what its called) near the turbo. Was not found under the smoke test, that he had to use soapy water in a spray bottle to see it. Replaced that and I picked up the car on Wednesday. I drove home and all was good until I got to my street, turned on from 25 mph or less, and it starts feeling like someone is tapping the brake again. No warning lights. So I took the car back Thursday to the dealer. I talked to him yesterday, he said no codes stored, and it hasn't acted up.

The dealer seems at a loss for what is going on. I am not really sure what to think. I like the car a lot, but this is not its first problem. If I can't get a resolution from the dealer, am I able to contact VW at all for help? It was purchased CPO. Also I am paying for a dealer loaner while its in there. They did work with me, when I picked it up the last time, he only charged me 3 days and I had the loaner for 9. Just hoping someone here has some ideas. It almost feels like a transmission problem, but the dealer said it should throw a code. And sometimes it gives a flashing glow plug light, sometimes nothing. Thanks everyone!

Jbrady13

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Hey guys so the dealer had me drive the car with the tech, and of course no issues. They did one more day of test driving and then I ended up getting the car back today. Got to work just fine, then coming home (about 40 miles since picking it up), i go around a turn around and it lurches, i decide to keep going, happened about three more times in three miles, then started doing it really badly. I did notice this time that the tach needle was jumping back and forth from about 500 to 2000. I had to restart the car to get home. I have been in touch with customer care, so far they have been largely unhelpful. I really hope someone has some idea here? Dealer has says no stores codes and cannot replicate the issue.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I bet it's this >>>> P1007 and P1005 "Torque Difference Limit Exceeded" that seems to happen only with cold and clears up once warm. Had a guy who had been battling the bucking like this in his 2015 Passat SEL for months before his ECM finally popped the code and we could pull it. He had 2 cylinders that cause the code and coolant temp was 60deg C (140 f) and air temp was 46 C when it happened.

We referred him to the dealer and supplied the codes from VCDS and left the CEL on so the dealer could also get to it. Since it's under the extended warranty, dealer is on the hook as this is definitely fuel/emissions related.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The fuel filter was due for replacement at 60k miles (its third time).

Check the ECU yourself for any DTCs. If nothing is there, pull the fuel filter out and look at its condition. it *should* have JUST been changed. Was it?

JFNaud

TDI
2014 TDI Golf Wagon (jsw)
The fuel filter was due for replacement at 60k miles (its third time).

Check the ECU yourself for any DTCs. If nothing is there, pull the fuel filter out and look at its condition. it *should* have JUST been changed. Was it?

oilhammer, I know it's an old thread but there was no follow-up and I'm intrigued by your question.
I'm having similar issues with my 2014 golf TDI. I bought the car almost 2 years ago from VW after they modified it. The "only" thing done on the car was the clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder (was leaking.. $$$). I had some jerking issue a couple of times while the car is warming up but I didn't have any problem over the past few months.
Last week I changed the fuel filter and noticed a lot more jerking/hesitation since then, especially at highway speed. Still can't figure out why a fresh fuel filter would make the car worse. Were you suggesting the fuel filter was changed to fix a problem or that the new filter caused a problem?
Thanks

gmfain

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Mine was doing the same........ Faulty/failing fuel pump. Also said with it failing, found metal in fuel lines. Going to replace the whole fuel system. Dieselgate warranty covers fuel system on mine until 162K. I currently have 135K.

good luck

Have your dealer call Cris at my dealer 770-629-9081 Nally VW Alpharetta, GA

770-629-9081

YoursTruly

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Mine was doing the same........ Faulty/failing fuel pump. Also said with it failing, found metal in fuel lines. Going to replace the whole fuel system. Dieselgate warranty covers fuel system on mine until 162K. I currently have 135K.

good luck

Have your dealer call Cris at my dealer 770-629-9081 Nally VW Alpharetta, GA

770-629-9081
Mine did this. High pressure fuel pump failure. Royal VW replaced my HPFP, hard lines, fuel filter, and injectors under the dieselgate extended warratny.

marko320

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I had the same problem. Light throttle. Gear 3 or 4 at 1800RPM. After 3 dealer visits I got a new throttle body. The problem went away and returned with a vengeance. It's going to the dealer next week. Stay tuned for a follow up.

JFNaud

TDI
Light throttle in 3rd or 4th gear is also where I have the most trouble in the city or same in 6th on the highway.
Went to the dealer, they told me that without a code they would spend a lot of time troubleshooting at 130$/hr. I decided to wait for a code or for the problem to get worse while troubleshooting it myself.
I did some datalogging with OBDeleven, looked at fuel pressure and crank speed sensor. Couldn't find anything wrong so far.
I'll dig further into the different data channels et might look at the HPFP for metal particle.

JFNaud

TDI
I had noticed a couple of times some brake pedal pulsing when the engine was rough. I did some data logging and it did show pretty bad EGR flow control.
This points to a problem with the EGR valve on the EGR cooler. My guess is that it's just gunked up with soot but unfortunately, it's not an easy part to get to for cleaning.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
I had the same problem. Light throttle. Gear 3 or 4 at 1800RPM. After 3 dealer visits I got a new throttle body. The problem went away and returned with a vengeance. It's going to the dealer next week. Stay tuned for a follow up.
Light throttle in 3rd or 4th gear is also where I have the most trouble in the city or same in 6th on the highway.
Went to the dealer, they told me that without a code they would spend a lot of time troubleshooting at 130$/hr. I decided to wait for a code or for the problem to get worse while troubleshooting it myself.
I did some datalogging with OBDeleven, looked at fuel pressure and crank speed sensor. Couldn't find anything wrong so far.
I'll dig further into the different data channels et might look at the HPFP for metal particle.
Definitely in for the results here. I picked up my TDI Cup Edition earlier this month and have noticed this exact same thing happening a few times. I'm down to around 4k miles left on the warranty, so I'm hoping it's something that I can get fixed before the warranty runs out.