Brush Guard on a Jetta???

Lane_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL 2003 Blue
I know this may sound odd but since I started my new job last year, I've seen more whitetail deer in one year than the whole 11 years I drove for my last job. I already hit one with a 2014 Passat loaner and frequently miss many others with the Jetta. Its getting to the point of getting paranoid coming home. I'm willing to put up with reduced mileage and aerodynamics so I can keep my car for a few more years. Is there anything out there that is pre made to fit a Mk4 Jetta or do I fab something and look like a prop from a Mad Max movie? Yes I drive slow and constantly on the watch for deer ambush.:rolleyes:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Pretty much fab your own. I drive 140 miles round trip, ALL country roads. I don't go a day without seeing at least two deer. I have plans to lift my jetta, install a guard of some sort, and mount extra lights to it.

libound

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5sp
I hit a deer with my jeep once, it had a brush guard on it and it made everything MUCH worse. Ontop of having body damage there's a mess of bent and twisted metal from the brush guard. They just aren't strong enough for that kind of impact. If you wanted to fab some thing you need to tie it into the frame extensively and make it out of solid metal and just maybe you'd have a chance.

My suggestion would be upgrade your headlights and drive slower. Theres not much you can do in this situation

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Deer are most active at or near dawn and dusk... delay your travel or leave earlier as needed.

Slowing down does help.

Bill

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
Not all brush guards are created equal. Just this last week my brother in law kissed a deer with his late 80's range rover. It is sporting the factory guard. If not for the hair on it I would not have believed he hit the deer. That thing is solid.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Not all brush guards are created equal. Just this last week my brother in law kissed a deer with his late 80's range rover. It is sporting the factory guard. If not for the hair on it I would not have believed he hit the deer. That thing is solid.
AMEN. Just because it looks strong, doesn't mean it's made of anything tougher than aluminum foil.

Is it almost too heavy to lift? Then it's just right!! Not recommended for VW cars, IMO. 3/4 ton and up pickups, YES.

Bill

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
I hit a deer with my jeep once, it had a brush guard on it and it made everything MUCH worse. Ontop of having body damage there's a mess of bent and twisted metal from the brush guard. They just aren't strong enough for that kind of impact. If you wanted to fab some thing you need to tie it into the frame extensively and make it out of solid metal and just maybe you'd have a chance.

My suggestion would be upgrade your headlights and drive slower. Theres not much you can do in this situation

This... Brush guards I feel are widely misconceived as something to protect the front of a vehicle from an impact. 98% of people who have them, it is purely aesthetics. It is called a "Brush Guard" for driving through brush like tall grass and small Shrubbery. Nothing else.

Do those whistles work?

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
TDI
As for the whistles, the purpose is not to keep the deer away, they are intended to get the animals attention. When they hear the whistling they typically will turn their heads, therefore you are able to see their eyes reflect.

My parents have been driving long haul truck for the last 16 years. They run two sets on their trucks, different heights create different air flows creating different whistle pitches. They gave me a set to run, but I have yet to install them. If I do ever get something built for the front of my car they will be placed on it. They swear by them, so I figure it won't hurt to try.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Those whistles don't work.

If it were me, I'd do some serious lighting upgrades.
X2.
Mn Hwy Patrol did long term test on various ones and no reduction in deer hits with or w/o them. Most of the time where folks mount the things they don't get any air thru them anyways.

Lots of deer up here. So far in 40 years of driving I personally have hit one. Quarter mile from my house, in a snowstorm, about walking speed, minimal damage to the Jetta, deer ran away.
Slow down, pay attention and the lighting helps.

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
There's also the situation when the deer hit you! I was on a windy slow suburban road doing 30mph at 0530 when a deer hit me broadsides taking out the rear view mirror and denting the rear wheel well . I never saw it coming, maybe b/c I was starring at the buck who dashed across the road about 20 yards in front.

Now when I approach that particular area I blast the horn in an attempt to scare them away from the road. Reminds me of hiking in bear country and deliberately making noise to alert the animals w/ the intent of keeping them away.

Lane_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL 2003 Blue
Looks like a lighting upgrade might help for 80% of the sightings. I travel 2:30pm EST to work and home after midnight so I'm coming home at prime time deer action. Although I had a small buck come up on my right side going to work. I first though it was a dog chasing the car but then rushed right in front of me. I feel like a target going home.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
we have feral hogs on a stretch of road of 30 miles. saw one that was hit yesterday. had to of been 150-200 lbs. they are low and heavy. i drive slow already but on that stretch i drive REAL slow.

Maffken

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 A4 Jetta ALH
I'd be interested in one in a way, but a lower and stiffer one to prevent racoon hits. I managed to hit racoons twice in the last few weeks when an aggressive driver in a larger vehicle swerved in front of me and hit a racoon, delivering it to the front of my vehicle.

First time I got lucky (the semi managed to crunch it down enough) and only lost some of the skid plate but the SUV that hit it the next time wiped out a rad hose, knocked the rad loose, broke some fan mounts, wiped out a chunk of the valence and broke a headlight mount (Plus I almost lost the skid plate/side guards, upgraded to a nice steel one after that close disaster).

Now to find out what I can do for lighting upgrades, but I'm not sure that would have even made a difference to be honest (Less than 50 ft before sighting at hw speeds; I was fortunate to stay on the road).

TysonK

TDI
1992 Jetta D (ran aground 450k km)2000 Jetta TDI (ran aground 350k km) 2001 Jetta TDI (ran aground 375k km) 2006 Jetta TDI (Work in Progress)
I have two words for you:

Cow Scoop. = Up and over!

Or

Me and my hunting buddies can come down and thin out the population a bit?

Lane_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL 2003 Blue
I was thinking something like this....

I guess I'll look into an off road light bar since I drive late night early morning on back country roads.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
It's tough because something that can actually absorb an impact like that will be super heavy, which is going to really make the car nose heavy affecting the handling, etc.

If you imagine something like a push bar bolted to the "frame" of the car hitting a deer, all those impact forces have to go somewhere. A truck or a Crown Vic has a heavy frame that can suck up the impact without deforming. The subframe on a light car like these? Not so much. One hit and instead of replacing some plastic on the front of the car plus your hood you are looking at a whole subframe swap.

BootsNTrucks

TDI
'02 Jetta
I feel like in order to create a bush guard that was strong enough to take the hit of deer and not crumble into the car, you would completely ruin the car's handling, gas milage, power etc.

There is also the issue of how would you mount it? Most vehicles that have sufficient bush guards have an actual frame. This car is a unibody, not designed for mounting stuff on the front. If you were able to mount a sufficient guard you would destroy the unibody unless you seriously reinforced the unibody aka adding more weight and complexity.

Basically the only way I see this working is if you heavily reinforced the frame and tied it in with a an exoskeleton cage of sorts. As a Jeep Comanche owner, I fully grasp how hard to make a solid cage for a unibody vehicle. Sadly while this would have a seriously cool Mad Max vibe (or rally car status), it would be enough work that it would be much easier to just go purchase a cheap F150 or such.

Bigderrs

TDI
2004 Golf TDI Auto-Trans
I tried to fab my own guard but my metal work experience isn't great instead I decided to install two offroad lights on the roof made a huge difference with the deer around me now that I can see them much farther out

BootsNTrucks

TDI
'02 Jetta
I tried to fab my own guard but my metal work experience isn't great instead I decided to install two offroad lights on the roof made a huge difference with the deer around me now that I can see them much farther out
I have been tempted many a time to take my Rigid offroad light bar off of my Jeep and mount it to the Jetta's roof rack. You turn that sucker on and its like the sun instantly decided to come out and play :D Eventually decided i didn't need it on the car.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
extra light would be good for night driving when the animals decide to cross the road. would be better mounted flush to not interfere with FE.