Broken Timing Belt on '02 Jetta TDI

JMarg

It's been a rough year so far. Broke my leg at the beginning of spring, and then my timing belt broke a few weeks ago on my '02 Jetta TDI with 222k miles on it. My wife was driving the car that day, as she had taken it in to get the tags renewed. I was remiss and should have had the timing belt replaced sooner, but here I am now.

My mechanic says the only way he can know for sure if the engine is destroyed would be to install a new timing belt and attempt to start the vehicle. He says this would be 3.5 hours of labor in itself, and then if the engine worked, he would need to remove the belt and reinstall, including whatever additional stuff gets done (e.g. new water pump?) during a normal complete timing belt replacement. Note: he is not pushing this option by any means, but says this would be the way he would go if I want to proceed.

For about two months before the timing belt gave out, the car had become more difficult to start in the morning, and at times would emit a cloud of blue smoke upon starting. After that, it would run fine. No changes in mileage. I had been planning on taking it in to have my mechanic diagnose this concern, before the timing belt broke. As I recall, based on what I told him at that time, he thought there might have been some compression problems?

I'm a therapist, not a mechanic, so I am really at a loss here. My mechanic is trustworthy. I have picked up another commuter car, and at this point I am leaning toward just trying to extract maximum value from my TDI. Should I just sell it as is? Should I plunk down $300 or so for his initial plan? Or is there something else you think I should do?

Oh yeah, I live in Ashland, Oregon if this helps. Appreciate any and all kind-hearted and knowledgeable suggestions.

Many thanks,

Jason

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The head needs to come off. At our shop, this fix is generally in the $2500 to $3k neighborhood, depending on how bad the head is.

Your mechanic may be trustworthy, but he clearly does not know anything about TDIs, and if he did he would have made sure this never happened in the first place, which leads one to wonder what condition the rest of the car is in.

You may be better off to part ways and give the car away to a good home.

JMarg

Thanks for your replies.

How much would you ask for the car if you were selling it as is?

Shastapk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Man, I wouldn't think too much with 222k miles and unknown history. What's the condition of the rest of the car? I might be looking for a project car and could possibly give you $500 for it. I won't be back to Ashland for a week or so. Regardless, good luck.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, $500 is probably a fair price to be honest. Since with that mileage it may be tough to fix and resell and turn a profit worth the hassle.

You may also just consider giving it away to someone who wants a project car to tinker with.

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
Or you could find a semi local forum member that has a spare 87 300D he'd trade for it. :cool:

Last edited:

vincentld

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Head will most likely be damaged and need replaced along with timing belt components. Possible piston damage also.

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
Please sell me your busted up Jetta, i will pay cash. This is exactly what me and my dad have been looking at for months, we really want one without a motor. I PM'd you my phone number, please respond back if you do indeed decide sell. I live in Seattle and would borrow a rental truck to tow it back up to my home. I would sincerely be honored to finally join the TDI club with you all.

Thank you and good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:

JMarg

Hello again, just thought I would say thanks again to those who replied and/or emailed me.

I ended up selling the Jetta today for $2200.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
$2200? Wow...someone got boned. That is a pretty spendy for a car with 222k of unknown history that could cost anywhere from $1200-$4k plus for a DIY'er to fix. You must be a good salesman. :p

Did you sell it as-is or did you have your "mechanic" throw on a new timing belt?

Last edited: