Broken flywheel bolts, oblong crank flange bolt holes, oh my.

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
How do I insert pictures? This is my first post, thanks everyone for all the info here.

I removed the tranny, the flywheel came off with it. I had less than 20 miles warning of this issue, and tried to just make it home, and didn't.. Anyway, there's 3 good bolt holes in the crank flange, but the other three are oblong, and the top half of the threads are toast, so there's maybe 7 or 8 good threads on the bottom. Ideally would put in a new crank, but I am yet to find one anywhere. Anyone have a crank for a 1Z? What other engines use the same crank? I'm not looking to buy a new engine. The engine otherwise runs like a dream.

What would you do? 305k miles on the odometer. I was thinking of drilling and putting inserts in the bolt holes, and jb weld any empty space between the inserts and flange. Your thoughts? Any other ideas?

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
By the way, I have owned this since 277k miles and don't know who, if, or when the clutch was last replaced, the disc is fairly worn but the rest of it looks good, but now the flywheel has oblong bolt holes as well, so will replace all. The flywheel bolts are the hex bolts, and pretty sure originals would be triple square, but looking at bolt indentations in the flywheel, looks like it may have been over-torqued, and the sheared bolts were easy to remove from the crank flange with ez-outs, one was just wobbling in there, but seems they all came loose and sheared. Still not seeing how to insert pictures, do you have to save them on social media first or what?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
What would you do? 305k miles on the odometer
with 305K miles, I'd get another engine. I wouldn't even think about trying to fix it in the car. You could find a skillful machine shop and have the holes drilled out properly and sleeved. However, with that much money and work (that crank needs removal for a proper fix), a replacement engine would be less work and likely much cheaper

Benjamis

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V 1Z 318k
with 305K miles, I'd get another engine. I wouldn't even think about trying to fix it in the car. You could find a skillful machine shop and have the holes drilled out properly and sleeved. However, with that much money and work (that crank needs removal for a proper fix), a replacement engine would be less work and likely much cheaper
Do you have any leads on engines? Parts place has one reman for $3200 plus 750 core and shipping both ways. I've seen used running engines with who knows what going on inside them for around 2k, could maybe get a rear ended car delivered for a little less.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I would try Dutch auto parts. They import major parts to the US from Europe all the time. Frans is their main guy.