Broken egr stud

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Yes I got over zealous... Snapped it off. Have been soaking with pb blaster. Just wonder about making the right move next. I can weld a bolt to it, drill it out, what's best?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

crashmanS

TDI
2003 New Beetle
If it's a threaded in stud, I've had good luck with welding a nut on it and removing it. Plus the heat from welding will loosen it as well. But some studs are cast into the part and are basically non removable. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I believe that’s a threaded stud. Heat, cold, pb, weld, vice grips whatever it takes to get the job done.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Had several like that in other vehicles. Heat alone (getting it red with an oxy torch) and it was easy to get out as it cooled. The nut is definitely an option but I would think unnecessary

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Had several like that in other vehicles. Heat alone (getting it red with an oxy torch) and it was easy to get out as it cooled. The nut is definitely an option but I would think unnecessary
If you have a welder readily available it's more than worth the nut.
As said before, it will put some heat into it and then you can use a socket and driver.
Much easier than an extractor, which I always find to be a big PITA, especially on the vehicle!

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Do the nut welding since it is easier to get a wrench to grab. Careful of the fumes burning off the coating on the nut - they can be pretty toxic. If it breaks off flush - tig welding does the trick for me. You can raise and lower the heat for as long as you want on only the focused a
Part and when ready start to add filler metal to grab with a vice grip. I haven't found one I can't get out doing that including break bleaders unless on a stainless bolt since I don't have the knowledge or material for that. I have ruined a few holes with drilling and easy outs though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I had a egr stud break once. The issue is those studs are a good bit longer than needed. Even with the stud broken I could fit the flange on there and a nut. So before you do to much work check that.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Take a pipe tap(3/8" IIRC) and run it down the hole being careful not to drop shavings into the turbo. Then you can use a standard pipe plug and plug the EGR opening off.

Of course your EGR port is no longer usable after that.