Broken balance shaft gear removal

buzzboy

TDI
1979 Mercedes 300SD BHW
I normally get impatient and cheap and screw stuff up. This time I took time, and bought the correct tool, and screwed up. I can't figure out what to do next but I'm sure I'm not the first person this has happened to.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Sharp flat chisel and a bfh. Aka Big friggin hammer.

You hit that little area where what's left of the gear and shell break easily. Careful not to bounce off and damage the seal making surface of the crank.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Do you have access to an acetylene torch? if so, I would heat the "ring" and then pry it off when it's hot enough and expanded.

Some have removed the first main bearing cap, then rotated the crank to get the counter weight out of the way and used an impact hammer to chisel the gear off foprward. Note that the main cap bolts would need to be replaced if you go this route.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have never removed the main cap to get the gear off. Or used a gear puller. I slice it with a zip wheel in my side grinder until I'm just about to hit the crank snout. Using the the pic above as reference I'd slice along where she's broken from about 7 o'clock straight up to 11 o'clock. Slice on the side where shavings don't fly into the crankcase (opposite side of where it's broken in the pic)

Then I smack it with flat punch. She cracks and slides off.

I have a nice collection main cap bolts I've never installed that came with my bs delete kits.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is addressed in my how-to in the B5 section, I think there is even a picture of me and my trusty air chisel. :)

I never pull that gear off.... I always take the main cap loose and air chisel it from behind That's why two main cap bolts are included in the parts list.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
An air chisel is amazing however the cfm required to use them is beyond what many of us have at home.

I've had 220 run to my carport for over 6 months now and my electrician aka dad is a slacker and still hasn't attached power at the breakers. Sucks living in a non union state sometimes.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure what the union thing means, but it is pretty easy to do house wiring. I've done all mine. About one tenth as complex as anything on a car.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Not sure what the union thing means, but it is pretty easy to do house wiring. I've done all mine. About one tenth as complex as anything on a car.
Well said, Brian!

Pay attention to how your Dad does wiring, ask questions, he won’t always be there to show you how and your kids will surely need to know how themselves someday.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I agree with pickel. A good strong tap with a chisel will expand the gear enough to get it off. That has been my method. No grinder though.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have a 30 gal 110v compressor in my basement running to an air reel in my garage. Works my air chisel just fine.

Also have 220v run by myself to said garage for my MIG welder.

What the hell do unions have to do with any of this?

buzzboy

TDI
1979 Mercedes 300SD BHW
Just to make sure I'm on the right page. Slice/chisel it along this red line?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
My family is from PA and I have several cousin's/uncle's in the electricians union, they are a little quicker with repairs! You'll have to move to the South to see what I mean or at least spend some time down here. It's nice down here but outside of the big cities, the south moves at a much slower pace. I thought this was common knowledge but I guess it wasn't.

I can do simple house wiring but single vs dual phase I'm not familiar with and want to leave it to a retired expert. I ran the entire 110 system on my boat but my ac system is also 110. I've been in the outdoor power equipment industry since 1999, I still consider 12v systems much simpler than house wiring but that's only because I see it daily.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to make sure I'm on the right page. Slice/chisel it along this red line?
You got it but another member said he cracks it with a chisel without cutting so I'd give that a try. I certainly will be. I have one BHW left that needs a home.

buzzboy

TDI
1979 Mercedes 300SD BHW
Nicked the gear with a saw blade(out of dremel bits) and hit it with a chisel. It's off. Finally on to reassembly. Thanks for the help dudes!

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
A suggestion on reassembly. Place the gear on a heavy piece of steel, like 1/2 in. flat bar while heating it and wrap it in a towel to take it to your car. Keep it hot.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
When you heat it make sure you use the little lady best cast iron skillet!

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
My new replacement sprocket went half way on before stopping. It was hot from the oven.
I did read about others had that happen even after heating.
So I had a short piece of metal pipe and BFH that I could hit the sprocket the rest of the way on.
While it was still kind of hot. Maybe a cast iron skillet would have helped. I did the flat bar thing.