Broke injector bolt in head

Baratis

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI
The injector bolt for the #3 injector broke off in the head of my ‘99 and at this point it is just completely stuck. Using an extractor and wd40 just ended up tearing it apart more and making even more of a mess. It won’t budge and it would seem the only option at this point is drilling it out and rethreading. The problem is that I’m afraid to drill it out due to going too far and messing up the head. And ideas on how to go about this?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I welded a nut when I broke one.

Heat helped bread threads free too.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

mostlyham

TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI 2DR 5spd Indigo Blue
The injector bolt for the #3 injector broke off in the head of my ‘99 and at this point it is just completely stuck. Using an extractor and wd40 just ended up tearing it apart more and making even more of a mess. It won’t budge and it would seem the only option at this point is drilling it out and rethreading. The problem is that I’m afraid to drill it out due to going too far and messing up the head. And ideas on how to go about this?
This happened to me yesterday but it was injector #2. Ironically it took me less time to get the bolt out and buy a new one for $2 at the dealership (part # N0103506) than removing that injector which was seized in there. There was enough sticking out that I used a flathead at an angle and tapped it with a hammer to unscrew. It worked. Good luck!!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you do drill it out, take your drill bit, stick it in one of the other holes. Paint pen the drill bit. That's the deepest you can go. Good luck.

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Ok... I only just heard about this idea the other day but if you have an electric pencil (one used for etching stuff onto a brass plaque)... and if you have any meat left that is within reach of the tip of the pencil you are supposed to be able to "walk" almost anything out of its hole. Kind of like a mini air chisel?

The welded nut is the best if your good with a stick (some guys like to use a thin washer between the nut and the body of the surface being worked on.

Good luck

M

Grady

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta
A Left-Hand drill bit will walk that broken bolt right out. Pretty much all an extractor will do is further degrade what is left.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
2X on the left handed bit.
I had a few that came out once I drilled part way through.
Others came out with an ez-out fairly easy.
The head is aluminum, it should work OK

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
So...it would seem good advice to take these out when the engine is *HOT*. AL expands more than steel, and the bolt will be at its loosest. A bit of PB Blast for a few heat cycles prior is also helpful.
cheers,
Douglas

towforce

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Another interesting approach to the welding technique under difficult circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlJ5f2-FcQ

The heating process of using jumper cables to warm up the stud is the wrong way around but it does look to warm up the aluminum around the stud, so PB blasting the stud might cause a quick cool of the stud in an aluminum head and make for a easier extraction. (love the part about just going for a walk ;-) )

M