BRM Turbo Issue and Oil Leak

ceakins

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 Speed BRM
Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm pretty new to working on diesels and turbos. Driving home the other night, about 2 miles from home, heard a decent amount of whistling coming from the turbo, followed by a pop and a ridiculous amount of white smoke pouring out behind the car. Pulled over immediately to find a significant puddle of oil on the ground after sitting for a moment (if it were my 07 Chevy truck I would have assumed an oil cooler line blew). Ended up towing the car home the last 2 miles. Car is a 2006 Jetta w/ a BRM & 5 Speed Trans.

Looked over the car last night to start diagnosing and found the following:

• Oil level in car is at the "MIN" mark, so not catastrophically low.
  • Turbo turbine/shaft on the inlet has a marginal amount of radial play - but not any axial that I can notice. (Not sure how to quantify it, I can maybe move the centerline of the shaft about 1/8" or so.)
  • Oil staining down the exhaust seemingly starting around the area where the exhaust outlet on the turbo attaches.
  • EGR cooler is definitely leaking from the valve, I had inspected this ~10,000 miles ago, and couldn't verify it, but there is soot around it now. Debating on delete vs. a Franko6 upgraded EGR cooler.
  • Best that I could tell, all intercooler plumbing seems to be in order.
  • Removed ASV and the EGR valve to try and see if there was an obvious source of the oil on the top side of the turbo, and didn't see anything definitive.

What things should I be looking at from here? I could try and post some pictures this evening if that helps. I've read about the oil supply lines leaking fairly commonly, but I wouldn't think that would give me the smoke screen I saw? I also don't want to assume that this is just a blown turbo if there's something else wrong with the whole turbo system.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Did you figure anything out on this? Sounds like you're going to need a turbo.

ceakins

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 Speed BRM
Your post reply got lost in my emails Metal Man; Life happened and I didn't have a chance to start taking things apart. Verdict is new turbo though. I'm looking at options and open to suggestions. Currently thinking about getting a VNT17 type turbo from xman and getting a stage 1 tune to get the smart actuator out of the picture.