BRM High Fuel Temps

BRMTDI

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM PD140 Turbo, PD150 Injectors RC2+
Recently worked on a BRM, no start issues.

We wound up replacing the rear main seal using the proper tool.

We also checked the timing, found the timing of the car to be off also.

All of this was corrected, also set the torsion value to 1.0 looks like that is what is recommended to be the best place for it to be.

I contemplated doing 0 but I was told between 0.5 and 1.0 is the sweet spot unless I'm wrong.

Anyway my main issue which is something that plagued this car even before all these issues were fixed is this.

I noticed the fuel temps registering at 90c after the car is fully warmed up.

Does this seem odd to anyone, I'm considering swapping In a nick tane fuel filter kit and getting rid of the port that sends the fuel for another round, not sure of the technical name, but curious if that will lower fuel temps.

If anyone else has any suggestions would love to hear it.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I at one time was also worried about high fuel temps. Mine usually runs 160*-180*f. I also believe this to be high. But im going passive diagnosis on this one. If theres an issue with the fuel temps this high something somewhere will break or fault and until that happens im gona drive more and worry less. Im on the thought that my intank pump no longer works but im not sure nor do i care as long as it runs.

BRMTDI

TDI
Yeah I'm really debating, running the nick tane kit. Which would eliminate the fuel recycling line, curious if that might help lower the temps.

My TDI never goes above 165, but I have a different injector setup.

BRMTDI

TDI
Bump..if anyone has any input.

I found a oil cooler on amazon, going to retrofit it with a fan, with a possible temp in which is will come on...

Really want to keep the temps under 145F if possible, I notice the car seems to drive better when that is the case. Will keep everyone posted.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
If I remember correctly, my previous PD used to have fuel temp in 50-60 *C range (without WOT or sport style driving). Once I decided to run Diesel Purge our of a can (return hose was pointing to the same can too). Then the temps got really hot and radiator fans started running.

Not sure if this is related, but have you inspected the fuel cooler under the passenger seat? Is it clogged, damaged or willed with sand/debris/rocks?

BRMTDI

TDI
From the outside it looks physically ok. Would have to remove it and see if it is clogged maybe? Also this guys car never ran a diesel purge cycle. It light help with his crazy temps. I get up to 60c when driving pretty hard.

He see's beyond those temps with normal driving which just seems odd.

I ordered a Hayden transmission cooler and fan controller. Going to try and retrofit that to my injection line before going into the injectors. Just need to get a fan for it now.

All this testing I'll see where I'm at. I first not used high fuel temps with polar FIS. And also noticed a funky idle only when temps go beyond 145F. So my take is the motor starts to change timing for idle when temps get that high. I could be wrong just assuming here.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
In the PD, fuel runs internal to the head. Therefore, fuel temp should be close to coolant temp.

In fact, if one of those sensors fails, the ecu substitutes the other one in its place.

If you idle is funky, then look at your idle IQ. if it's in the 6.0 range or higher with no load from heater or ac or headlights, then they are getting worn out.

Also ITLP

BRMTDI

TDI
My BRM TDI (My OWN) coolant will be at 180F Injectors (145F After WOT Driving)

This BRM TDI we were working on is always at 190F hotter then coolant temp.

On both cars funky idle is only when blipping the throttle when fuel temps are above 145F and only sometimes.

My Injectors are mint, I can verify this had new tips put in and everything is balanced to a T.

I run PD150 Injectors also with 1043 Tips, not sure if my IQ is set differently due to my setup...so not sure if the 6.0 range is still something valid to check on my car.

BRMTDI

TDI
Awesome...this Fuel Screen thing makes sense...

I have never touched this on the BRM..any idea where its located on the BRM?

glad I posted here

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
That fuel screen is in the fuel lift pump pickup, just as on the BEW.

Have you checked the fuel temperature reading after it sits overnight? Does it track properly, and drop to ambient - reading the same as air temp and coolant temp, within a degree or two?

It would not take too much of an error to cause the problem you are seeing.

As mentioned earlier, you will always run up near head temperature, say 70 C or above, even with a clean system, during summertime after the fuel tank warms up.

BRMTDI

TDI
It drops to ambient yes..I am thinking dirty fuel screen.

I will try cleaning mine just for practice then do his...you definitely learn a lot in these forums.

BRMTDI

TDI
When I get to the screen filter...what would you say you guys recommend doing to clean it out.

BRMTDI

TDI
Didn't get that far to test fuel flow.

Will dig into mine for practice then work on his, which is the real problem car.