Brm Crank and no start

oldblacksmoker

TDI
1999 jetta tdi, 2005.5 brm
My jetta died when I was on vacation last month. I can't get my vcds to work with my cable right now, so I'm troubleshooting laptop compatibility because I haven't used it in a couple years. I had a weird issue where it was going into limp mode because of the turbo actuator. I could cycle the key off and on and reset to full power. I have a pd140 turbo I have been planning to install for a couple years, but it's been low priority.
Anyway, the car died and didn't restart. I looked at several things under the hood and no luck. I checked the anti-shudder valve was open. and also put a gasoline soaked rag over the open intake. It started up that way, leading me to believe it was a fuel off issue.
I checked that the lift pump is working
I tapped the tandem pump with channel lock pliers while my wife was cranking the engine and it started. I began to drive and it died again with no start.
I incorrectly misdiagonsed the tandem pump. I don't believe there was anything wrong with it and that it was a fluke it started when I tapped it.
I'm currently searching for a chafe in the harness, but really want vcds to work so I can have an actual code.
I'm planning to check continuity for the camshaft and cranshaft sensors.
Any advice?
I know full well the ideal is a vcds scan and that is what I'm currently trying to get functional.