BRM--Coming up on 100000m.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
So, my wifes DSG, Iscoming up very close to the FIRST 100000m. I have done the maint. and lived through the failures, just wanted to say, I have had REAL good luck with this one..

I had the DMF replaced right under the 60000m waranty. Was able to help do it at dealership.The EGR cooler is leaking and I will take care of that, cause I am running the RC2 tune.

I have watched the cam, and have headed that one as well with S9000 and 2OZ of ZDDP.

One set of Primacy, have plenty of tread left for another 40000m.

This car has never left us standed, has gotten 42-46mpg, And all I have done is the basic maint..NOT even a set of pads yet..

The mods...RC2, Steering wheel with paddle shift, air bags in the back, fuel economy alignment.

Very good car, minimum investment, safe, economical operation..

I dont think I have replaced a single bulb on it, amazing..

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
I'm right behind you Randy. @ 96k miles now. I've got a few more mods, but they haven't affected reliability at all. 2oz ZDDP and Mobil 1 TDT. UOA's in good shape.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Another one here. Cam still good, bevels intact. Still on original brake pads, bearings. Car is a reliable commuter from 40C to -40C on D2 from any gas station.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
119,400 miles on our 2006 Jetta TDi.. DSG Flywheel replaced by me at 68k miles.

Rear brake pads around 90k miles, timing belt and related parts too

Camshaft must be OK, the car runs fine daily... ;)

Gotta buy a few liters of DSG oil for that change at 120k miles

Mach1

TDI
I am glad some people think they have good BRM's..

The wife doesnt care for the car because of the road noise(its the roads here in Texas), and the plastic dash rattle, they all do that...

I will still keep the car as it is paid for, I have the TB/DSG flush coming up in the next 20000m..

This one is faster then mine, and is a blast to drive in sport mode or manual mode from the paddle shifters.

We put some miles on this one..Enjoy..

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Mach1, does your wife's TDI also run 0w30? Also, how long did you postpone TB (mileage wise) service on your car?

Mach1

TDI
Henrick, I use just S9000 in the wifes car with great results, last 10000 OA, I had single digit wear metats on all...I want to back that up with another sample at 12000, which I am going to do here pretty quick.

The S9000, i have been using in the trucks for ~6 years and I have used the S7000 for years before that.

The S9000 is the only oil I use in the BRM's, and if I change oil they get ZDDP if they want it or not..I have not had a failure on a customers car that I change oil on regularly..

TB's I cant discuss, because I will get slammed..They are over built/designed..

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I recall last time you mentioned you won't change it earlier than 120,000 miles. So have you already passed that mark or not yet? :)

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
I'm starting to wonder if my flywheel isn't going to blow up. I've got 108k on our DSG now and it's not even rattling. Seems like a ton of people had them go out around 60-70k miles.

Herr Schneider

TDI
2006 Jetta
Mach 1, do have the specs for th fuel economy alignment and did it make a differance? Had mine aligned recently and everything was within spec and I love the way the car handles but a little more mpg would be great too.

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
I love my car. 228,758 miles as of today. Original flywheel. New cam a few months ago.

If I have to do a cam every 200,000 miles, it is worth it. Still uses no oil at all, still gets mid 40's for MPG.

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
Mine has 120K miles. Engine is purring like a kitten..though I will want to get the cam wear checked soon. DMF grenaded at 75K and took out the tranny, so both new tranny and DMF both have 55K on them. I heard the original DMF's failed anywhere from 40-70 K miles. so I'm in the window again...it'd be interesting to see if the redesign lasts longer. I'm wiser to be listening for the tell tale warnings (unusual noises at idle and when shifting from R to N to D). Since I had to replace the tranny, I'm keeping this one for the long haul in hopes to drive down my pennies per mile. Running amsoil european car formula since day 1 with oil and filter changes at 5000-6000 miles, though I've heard from a friend that he changes filters mid-interval. I wonder about the benefit. I'm keeping up so far with DSG oil change every 40K. Timing belt (with new belt tensioner and water pump as part of the recommended timing belt service) changed at 80,000. Yee-ha.

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I love mine. At 120,000 miles I got a second set of tires and a new cam which I bought before I knew I needed one.

I figure the cam replacement drove the per mile cost up by a little more than 1 cent, still on the original brakes and have a stage 3 clutch that has been sitting for a year but the stock one shows no sign of giving up.

Everything else has been perfect. No complaints.

Last edited:

T-Roy

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 ECOdiesel AHU
Howdy folks, figured I would chime in on this thread since it has a few familiar names here close in Texas and I drive an 06 with similar mileage. First post as well, been a long time lurker / reader.

My name's Troy and I moved here to Austin in September of last year from my folks farm up in beautiful East Texas. I drive a 2006 Jetta TDI w/ DSG, which was leased by my grandparents/parents as a graduation gift for doing well in school. The lease washed up and we went over miles or something I don't know, but basically we're paying to own this baby now so I figured I better start getting involved with the diesel / TDI guru's a little more here around Austin, cause it's where I'll be for the foreseeable future.

Some past history of me and the car: Through some crazy twist of fate I actually met robbinsresort (your real name eludes me now sir...sorry!) at a car meet a few years ago up around Dallas with some friends of mine from high school. I remember being terribly bored and unimpressed with all the blinged up cookie-cutter Camaros and Mustangs, until I saw another...what was that A FELLOW MK5 JETTA TDI, at a meet dominated by 99% domestic gasoline cars. I swear lookin back it had to have been a sign LOL. We ended up talking quite a bit and you were the first one who showed me about the 505.01 spec oil I needed to be using (and WASN'T at the time! :eek:) I must thank you for that again! Anyways, hope to get to talk to you and know you some more robbinsresort, glad to see you're still on here and active, driving the same car with similar mileage to boot!

Fast forward to a few months ago I had just moved down here and was lookin for a guru to do some ~70K maintenance when I stumbled upon Randy aka Mach1 just a bit west in some nice hill country. What a nice drive it was out there, had a great time and even got to take a ride in the modded up machine! He got me all fixed up right and tight on my filters and a proper oil change, it feels good havin that confidence in someone workin on your car; I knew getting on these forums was the way to find the real folks passionate about their diesel cars, and Randy you sure fit the bill!

Now to present day and the car's current state...
- 78,xxx miles
- DMF is... you guessed it.. RATTLING LIKE HELL since around 50-60K, it has gotten noticeably worse though :mad:
- Have only had basic maintenance done, both front headlight bulbs went within a week of each other, and some rear rotors and pads around 60K.

Once I get this DMF replaced and the DSG service done, I will be a happy camper and breathe a sigh of relief...so I will be calling you this weekend Randy to discuss getting this done and maybe a few other things too since we'll be in there like this cam wear stuff I keep reading about...

Also would like to get some VAG-COM tweaks done (No DRL, No honk when I lock my doors, etc), I noticed Lightflyer1 you're listed up in Round Rock as having an available VAG-COM. Are you available any time soon for some tweaks?

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
enjoy the no-DRL hack. Just keep in mind that when the lights are on "auto" and it's that special time of day, they will turn on and off a bit.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
I am at 113K. Harness chafe issue at 63K. Washer hose broke @ hinge @ about 70K. Brakes at about 83K. I need to pull the VC again check to decide if I am need to do the cam w/ the T-belt so that I can order parts. Wear in the drivers seat from my jeans & steering wheel from my hand callus. Still averaging about 48+ MPG & loving the RC1+. I do need to get a stronger clutch so I can get a turbo & visit Jeff for a more powerful tune. It has been a joy to drive.

Last edited:

DieselBrownie

TDI
'13 Passat
113k Here as well. Had a rack and pinon done (ext. warranty) at 98k, and just now got the DMF rattle. Despite VW's reputation, this has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. All of the 'Murican cars I owned before we're worn out garbage at this mileage.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I'm starting to wonder if my flywheel isn't going to blow up. I've got 108k on our DSG now and it's not even rattling. Seems like a ton of people had them go out around 60-70k miles.
I suspect original DMF life has more to do with driving style than mileage. I'm at 157k on original with no death rattle and I drive 'er easy. However, there's noticable play during clutch engagement, so its days are numbered.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
I'm "only" around 67K miles and so far this has been one of the best cars I've ever owned. No complaints here.

Mach1

TDI
T-roy, thanks for the compliment...

I am a BRM enthusiest..

I do have something bad that happened on my 05.5 BRM..The DANG radio buttons have started to blister/bubble...

I cant believe this, this is major failure, I am thinking about selling the car:rolleyes::rolleyes:. My seat is worn as well..I get in/out of the car frequently, I wish they could build a car that lasts forever, well, until then...I have the closest thing, a BRM. I love to drive this car..

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
98k miles, with little to no problems. Car started life at 50k miles for me after a wreck. I bought it from a salvage yard, and had to replace everything from the radiator fans forward... So, it now has a "prior salvage" title.

I use Turbo Diesel Truck oil, do my own maintenance and such... Added a frostheater for cold MN winters.

XM part of the stereo crapped out, the receiver in the trunk stopped. Going to replace the front brakes soon I think, and the timing belt in the next couple thousand miles.

All-in-all, I LOVE this car, and am very happy I own a BRM!

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
98k miles, with little to no problems. Car started life at 50k miles for me after a wreck. I bought it from a salvage yard, and had to replace everything from the radiator fans forward... So, it now has a "prior salvage" title.

I use Turbo Diesel Truck oil, do my own maintenance and such... Added a frostheater for cold MN winters.

XM part of the stereo crapped out, the receiver in the trunk stopped. Going to replace the front brakes soon I think, and the timing belt in the next couple thousand miles.

All-in-all, I LOVE this car, and am very happy I own a BRM!

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have any pictures of it 'before' and 'after'? Would be nice to see what you bought and how you fixed it!

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Do you have any pictures of it 'before' and 'after'? Would be nice to see what you bought and how you fixed it!
I would have to look for some before pics, but it was pretty trashed. We were worried about damage to the engine initially, but it turned out ok. New hood, fenders, core support, radiator and fans, head light, bumper and all gti/gli grille inserts and such... Turned out pretty nice.

Last edited:

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I would have to look for some before pics, but it was pretty trashed. We were worried about damage to the engine initially, but it turned out ok. New hood, fenders, core support, radiator and fans, head light, bumper and all gti/gli grille inserts and such... Turned out pretty nice.
Here is the before pic, the great work was done by a great friend of mine: