Brembo 18z 6pot calipers discussion

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
Who has these installed ?
What discs & pads are needed ?
What rims and spacers you guys running ?
At what power levels are these a worthwhile upgrade ?
What kind of modifications on a golf mk6 to make the 18z calipers fit ?

Thinking of adding this brake setup just for the fronts but just wondered if and what you guys have. Pics would be awesome too (y)

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
I bought a front and rear 18z 'kit' from rotorlab. Not sure what vehicle he sources his rotors from, but I know he machines the mounting surfaces down on the calipers to fit. You'll need a bolt kit with sleeves and you'll need new brake lines. I may end up running a bigger audi mc if I'm not happy with pedal feel. He recommends Bosch quietcast pads.

Mine are going under OZ Allegerittas. Seems to be more about spoke design than anything else if they will clear or not.

As far as what power levels, lol, I did it mainly for the cool factor of having them.

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
I bought a front and rear 18z 'kit' from rotorlab. Not sure what vehicle he sources his rotors from, but I know he machines the mounting surfaces down on the calipers to fit. You'll need a bolt kit with sleeves and you'll need new brake lines. I may end up running a bigger audi mc if I'm not happy with pedal feel. He recommends Bosch quietcast pads.

Mine are going under OZ Allegerittas. Seems to be more about spoke design than anything else if they will clear or not.

As far as what power levels, lol, I did it mainly for the cool factor of having them.
I have quite a lot i want to do and I'm just trying to see what mod is the best to start with first since I've already got a stage 2 tune.
It's bound to help me stop quicker and cool looks factor play a big part also. Big brakes and drilled rotors look sick...!

What rotors are they....just plain solid rotors or drilled, slotted ?

Basicically i saw this and me likey..!

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
Those are two piece rotors with aluminum hats....probably $$$$

It is a nice lookin setup

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
Those are two piece rotors with aluminum hats....probably $$$$

It is a nice lookin setup
What's the closest possible budget way with these calipers to get a similar looking setup.

What size rotors are needed ?

If i kept my stock calipers and just upgraded the discs and pads to brembo drilled discs and pads - back and front all in £330 ish.
This would still look ok with painted calipers i guess but what are my options for the 18z on front only...?

Is this kit good enough you think for £710 without disc and pads

Brembo 18z front calipers fully refurbed and comes with brake lines bolts etc like you mentioned.....£710 >>> Brembo 18z fully recon kit
or
Brembo 18z used audi Q7 s line calipers.....£400 >>> Brembo 18z used calipers only

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
i have some boxster 996 calipers i was thinking could be used on the mk6 golf. Apikol has an adapter to make them work. Your posting made me remember i have them and could use them on a possible purchase of a 2012 golf i'm looking at.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Nothing like spending $$$ on a brake setup that will slow you down before you even hit the binders...... (y)
I'm jelly of cars with 1000hp+, but not of their FE :p

GTD170

Veteran Member
TDI
VW GOLF GTD MK6 CR170
i have some boxster 996 calipers i was thinking could be used on the mk6 golf. Apikol has an adapter to make them work. Your posting made me remember i have them and could use them on a possible purchase of a 2012 golf i'm looking at.
I've just checked them out and they look just as cool if not identicle to eh 18z's.......I'll keep a look out for 996 ones, maybe they're cheaper too (y)

Although I'm toying with the idea of spraying my stock calipers and fitting brembo drilled discs and pads for now until i eventually get more power and maybe forcus more on a nice coilover set......Can't make my mind up :oops:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I would think giant calipers like that would throw off the front/rear proportioning of braking force. Might start going through rear pads real quick.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline