Breathing upgrade with vnt15 or bigger turbo all together?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Hey everyone,

Was doing a lot of research the last days about the next steps on my Jetta.

First option would be to get the upgraded intercooler pipe kit from idparts combined with a pd150 manifold and turbo inlet pipe and leave the vnt15 in there to see where that gets me with my current mods.

Or spring for a 17/22 just by itself and leave the rest how it is now to see if it clears up some smoke.

And the last and most expensive option would be the 17/22 performance package from idparts with all the goodies thrown in minus the pd150 manifold.

I like the way the car drives now, in summer I can make it smoke quite a bit if I keep my foot down but I don't do that very often. It would be nice to have some more torque and hp out of it. So could I reach around 300 torque with just the breathing and cooling upgrades alone or go all out?

Haven't included any gtb turbos since I would like it to be plug and play, 17/22 might be an older design but so is the alh engine. ;)

Thanks, Bjoern

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
I doubt you would see a dramatic increase in power without changing the turbo. If $$ are the issue, a vnt 17 is an economical upgrade.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Thanks, I kind of made my mind up now and will probably go with just the 17/22 and maybe a retune, can always increase the breathing further down the road.