Breaking

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
Hmmm...I was always told by my father and others that if you hit just the break pedal in a manual before hitting the clutch the car will stall. While driving tonight I accidentally hit the break pedal without applying my foot to the clutch and to my surprise the car did not stall. So now I'm rather curious to learn why it did not stall the engine. Any ideas why or is this just a unique feature with TDI's?

cage

Top Post Dawg
You can leave the clutch alone and brake until the engine speed gets to idle (1,000 rpm) then push the clutch in. The engine will only stall if you keep braking and the engine goes below idle speed. That goes for all manual cars.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Braking ?

vaxick, it's only going to stall at very low RPMs.

kowached

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Poor clutch? More like poor brakes. Leaving the car in gear while slowing down/braking (engine compression braking) has got to take a heck of a load off of the brakes, but I understand your point too.

I'm in agreement with everyone else here, don't touch the clutch until your engine RPM is around 1000.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Plus, when you engine break, you get better fule millage: the engine uses little or no fule when engine breaking, which is a lot less than at idle.

Like other's have said, keep it un gear until the RPMs drop to around 1000. Then take it into neutral.

-Jason

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Braking ?

guys, it's brake, not break.

I've never really thought much about this topic but paid attention to my driving while I was on the road today. I suspect most of us brake
much of the time with the car in gear as we slow down...it's completely normal. I only depress the clutch as I approach my stop.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
Braking ?

Plus, it also makes sense from a "wear and tear" perspective. It is cheaper and easier to replace brakes than clutches...

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
Braking ?

guys, it's brake, not break.

I've never really thought much about this topic but paid attention to my driving while I was on the road today. I suspect most of us brake
much of the time with the car in gear as we slow down...it's completely normal. I only depress the clutch as I approach my stop.
Haha sorry, it was like 4 am when I posted this
Anyways, my dad always told me you need to hit the clutch before you press the brake, but I guess he was wrong. It's so nice to know this now though as I'm sure it's going to make driving a manual a little simpler.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Braking ?

I've noticed if I need to slow down and think I'll have to downshift once I need to get going again, I'll apply the brakes and push the clutch in, in aticipation of having to shift. If I'm just slowing down for a bit, I'll just apply the brakes.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Depends on the weather !!

If you're driving on icy, snow-covered roads, you could stall the engine if you brake while in gear... the driving wheels could lose contact with the surface, and the brakes will cause them to stop - you'll be sliding.... the engine will certainly stall!!

Just my 2 cents' worth...

cage

Top Post Dawg
That's more of a sliding issue than a stalling issue. On slippery roads you want to disconnect the drivetrain from the wheels so that the brakes can do what they do best. That's a whole other can of worms though.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>That's more of a sliding issue than a stalling issue<<

True... semantics... I was just replying to his statement that he was told "that if you hit just the break pedal in a manual before hitting the clutch the car will stall. "

All the best,

oilcan_boyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited TDI
Plus, when you engine break, you get better fule millage: the engine uses little or no fule when engine breaking, which is a lot less than at idle.

Like other's have said, keep it un gear until the RPMs drop to around 1000. Then take it into neutral.

-Jason
You should always run down through the gears.
In some states it is illegal to coast in neutral.