Breaking In

Rafal

TDI
2012 Blanck and Tan Jetta TDI DSG
I literally bought a new 2012 Jetta TDI yesterday and I am looking for any tips on what you would consider "proper" breaking in. I have done my fair share of research on the matter and I have to confess I have no real answers...no steady RPMs seems to be the consensus.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
There are lots of helpful faqs around. Here is one that gets debated. And believe me, it will here too.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=464223

Welcome and enjoy your car.

PS. Your profile is too narrow. Helps if people know if you have a DSG or manual, etc.

Did your dealer mention the fueling issues we face in IL? Might want to check out the Chicagoland fuel discussion in Midwest forum. Most IL stations sell fuel that violate the VW warranty. Best to at least know the facts before discussing anything related to warranty work at a dealer.

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
First, read the manual and see if there are any recommendations form VW. There is no special "break-in" oil in the car so follow recommended oil change intervals. Beyond that, just drive it.

Rafal

TDI
Rules that apply for the life of the car

First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 3,800. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm application of power is strongly recomended up to 3,800 rpm. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 5,100 rpm power range. Avoid steady rpms. Avoid the use of cruise control. Frequent application of full throttle is recomended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in a TDI due to frequent stops and acceleration. Once you get to 5,000 miles change the oil and perform your first service per the manual

DB
Speaking specifically about the above mentioned post, how crucial is it to make a conscious effort to drive like that, or should normal city driving pretty much take care of that?

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Don't obsess over following it to the letter. That gets quoted around a lot but is actually for a Tiguan. One dead giveaway is the bit about changing the oil at 5k miles. The first oil change in the Mk6 isn't until 10k. The DSG will force an upshift at ~4,600 so you'll never see the true red line anyway.

Rafal

TDI
Thanks for the tips. Read through the manual and a whole lot of this forum, no surprises, except for getting a hold of the D2 diesel here in Illinois, and especially around Wheeling, where I live. So far I have found two gas stations within a reasonable distance, so should not be too much of a pain in the butt. I've only been driving it for 5 days but I must say I am a huge fan. The DSG is about as flawless an automatic tranny as I have ever driven.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Wheeling. Dude, you are in my fuel wheelhouse. I'm at Lake-Cook and Milwaukee.

All D2

BP Sanders and Dundee (most expensive)
BP Sanders and Willow
Shell Milwaukee and Half Day (Ernie's)
Mobil across from Ernie's (haven't check that lately though)
Further out
BP Rt 12 and Rt 176
66 Rt 12 in Volo (my current fav as they advertise straight diesel. I find it a nice ride)
There is Meijer's nearby in Schaumburg.

Rafal

TDI
Sweet, thanks! I'm at B-G and Dundee but my son has school and soccer in Libertyville so all your suggestions are right along my commute. Used to live in Volo so I know that gas station well.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Sadly there may only be a few more D2 I haven't found in the area. So, that's pretty much it. And we are the luck ones as many areas have one or none.

Which VW dealer did you purchase from?

Last edited: