Brand new TDI owner 2011

hwork501

TDI
2011 Jetta
My daughter just bought this black 2011 which is a 2 owner car with 102,000 miles. It just had new glow plugs put in and a new heater core. Was wondering about some things I should do right away as this is my 2nd diesel (Dodge 2500). Should I change the fuel filter? I guess the timing belt is at 130k which is good. The car has new tires but does need a few things.

Here is my list:

- New floor mats (I like the TDI ones)
- New antennae (fin)
- Back up camera with new mirror (any recommendations are welcome)
- Shift cover
- New windshield wipers
- Front skid plate plastic

I love the car as it drives great!

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Since this is a new used car, I would make sure all the maintenance is up to date.
The oil and oil filter should be changed every 10,000 miles with VW Spec 507 oil. I would change it now and then start my 10K interval.
The fuel filter should be changed every 20,000 miles. I would change now and start a 20K interval.
The transmission needs service every 40K miles. If not sure when last serviced change now and then every 40K miles.

This is what I would do first. The timing belt is 130K interval, so your still good at this point.

Hope this helps... have fun!

Cmore

TDI
2005 Jetta. Gone, suicide Deer. 2011 Jetta.
Second the vw 507 spec oil. Is a must. The timing belt I would do sooner than later. I'm a mechanic so I have no problem doing thing early. ID parts is my go to store for the parts I use.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
At that age, and if you want to be "proper", lots of things should be done (or should've).
If you can obtain records, do it.... if not, assume none of it has been done.
Coolant flush, brake fluid flush, fuel/cabin/air filters, accessory belt, etc.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Obtain records if you can and establish a baseline. Going through the basic fluids and filters is simple. DSG or Manual?

Is there a 10 year in service limit for the TB as well as 130,000 miles?

Cmore

TDI
2005 Jetta. Gone, suicide Deer. 2011 Jetta.
You will also need to plan for replacing the flywheel. As the flywheel is two sections. Dual mass flywheel (DMF). I had a 2005 tdi (sdg) with 130,000 miles and the flywheel started to come apart. Also my current 2011 TDI (manual) 160,000 miles had a pressure plate failure ( normal) and DMF also was coming unglued.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
With the newer generation vehicles the DMF is hit and miss. Some of them will go 300,000 mi some of them fail under 80,000 miles.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Is there a 10 year in service limit for the TB as well as 130,000 miles?
Some say, X amount of years (based on random claims, heat cycles, moon phase, etc).
I personally don't share that view, and instead of using some arbitrary age value, I prefer to inspect it according to the manual.
The milage service value is more "scientific" in my view when it comes to expected life, so that one I trust.

maintenance manual said:
– Remove the upper toothed belt guard.
– Turn the crankshaft completely at least one time and check
the condition of the toothed belt at the following points:
♦ Cranks, cross-sectional breaks, tears (on side of cover)
♦ Lateral movement
♦ Fraying of cords
♦ Tears (in tooth base)
♦ Separation (cover layer, belt cords)
♦ Surface cracks (plastic shroud)
♦ Oil or grease contamination
Opinions may vary.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
lock the car with remote and check all the doors to see if they are locked then do the same with unlocking. the actuators can be a problem. Dont want your daughter leaving the car thinking its locked and one door is not.

hwork501

TDI
2011 Jetta
Thank you all for your comments. I am planning on calling the dealership today to see what they know about the car and to see if I can obtain the records of what has been done. I have a Dodge 12 valve that just keeps running as I know this is different and am prepared for that. I just love the mileage my daughter will get especially with gas/diesel prices on the rise. Have a great weekend!

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
The DSG has proven to be a robust transmission when serviced at the 40k interval. I have never had a problem with any DSG I have owned.

hwork501

TDI
2011 Jetta
Good to know. I was hoping this would be a good car for my daughter as everything else with 100k miles was waaaayyy overpriced because of the chip shortage.