Brand new 2002 Golf GL 5MT only 54 miles $24K

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The interior does not look new to me, the door trim fabric is starting to sag... that is an age thing. The 20 year old door trim doesn't care how many numbers are showing in the odometer.

I'd be shocked if this car actually sells for that much. It would be a great car at closer to 10-12k, but for MORE than it sold new? And it has some body blemishes, curious what the underside looks like and how it was stored.

One of the last of its kind, though.... lifetime window regulators!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It’s still a 20 year old car in need of a timing belt. Plastic turning brittle and rubber drying and hardening up, and unlike metals corroding. Plus whatever happened to the fluids sitting most likely unchanged.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
That’s near Chicago. Not much different than my area. If it wasn’t stored in a controlled climate it plays havoc. Temperature and extreme humidity fluctuations play hell on a car that just sits around here, better off driving them

oilhammer

TDI
I would not be surprised if the injection pump started spewing fuel out everywhere within weeks of normal use, too.

Still, if it were appropriately priced, I'd take those risks. It is still better than anything you could buy today on the Volkswagen dealer's lot.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
They changed the tires and windshield wipers... Yeah, that's not enough.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
This things only purpose would be the preserve it. Low miles is cool, yea. But so is a mk4 with like 400k miles on it if it was taken care of. That said if I had enough money for a car collection, this thing would be in it

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Move the decimal point one place to the left. Pull the fuel tank and replace it with one that doesn’t have it’s own ecosystem growing in it. Present one can be used as an accelerant for a midwinter bonfire 🔥

oilhammer

TDI
That's the thing, as much as I love these cars (and one of mine IS an indigo blue 4dr Golf!), they really are not "remarkable". The former pope, before he was pope, drove an indigo blue A4 Golf. Kate Middleton, before she was married into the British royals, drove an indigo blue A4 Golf. Turns out, LOTS of people drove these... the Golf is, year after year, one of the best selling models in history. So there are literally tens of millions of these out there. It isn't really a collector car, as much as some of us may want it to be. But if it was, we probably would have never seen the popularity of them.

It is odd that these types of cars pop up every now and then. There was a Geo Metro like this last year that was a similar situation (although it actually DID look 100% brand new), and it sold for a pretty high price, too.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I could put a lawn mower in the back of my old Ford Focus hatchback, I imagine the same could be done with that Golf. That right there makes it more practical than the Jetta, in my book. But with all the work I’ve put into our Jettas, they should last us a long time. Gonna have to pass on this particular jewel and use that money to go south during the winter for the next 10 years or so

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, the hatch is far more useful. The A4 Jetta was the first one that really took a step backwards in utility, too. The trunk opening got smaller and the roofline got sloped back, which meant it lost some rear headroom and in/out ability. The A1, A2, and A3 cars used the same roofline for both hatch and sedans, and the A2 and A3 had ENORMOUS trunks, the A3 added the seat fold down. My A2 Jetta's trunk is bigger than my B5 Passat sedan trunk. I'd still take a Golf any day, though. Little sedans just don't make a lot of sense to me.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Meh, wind up windows in these take FOREVER to wind up. Base cloth seats are like riding on rocks and cardboard.. and yeah, its a golf.. big deal.. Ill take my wagons any day insofar as utility.

and AGAIN who cares about miles. For 20K you could redo a pair of wagons and NEVER ever be able to drive them enough to wear them out in yours or your kids lifetime. BUT you would have a sun roof, heated seats,750 watt 9 speaker sound system, bilstein shocks, new timing belt and all associated components, TWICE the torque and 60 more hp.. as well as a taller 5th gears, new clutch new bushings, tires brakes blah blah blah.. and of course you would have great resale and utility... because its a bad ass waaahhhhhgon

OR you could buy a GL sedan, do all the things mentioned above, and keep it nice and light for optimum performance..

;)