Brakes

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I am very confused about posting pictures.
I am working on a 4 motion, 2005 2.8.
What is that round thing in the center of the picture. It has started humming and honking and vibrating. About 4 inches in diameter.

To the brakes: ABS and traction control lights are on and the brake light is flashing. All three fuses to do with the brakes in the side panel are good.

VCDS 0 1200 ABS valves supply voltage
35-00

Battery is fully charged, brakes work good, where would you look next for diagnoses? I realize this may not be the right forum, but I assume the brakes are the same.

Thanks
Mark

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
B5 Passats/Audi A4s are notorious for the ABS module failing internally. There are hair-thin wires that need to be resoldered. You can remove the module and ship it off to be rebuilt but still drive the car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The round object is the crankcase pressure regulator valve. It's bad.

078-103-245-E

If the engine is sludged up from neglect, you may have to rebuild the whole breather system.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Bought the car with a bad coolant leak. 5/16 hose at the back of the engine I don't know where it goes or what it comes from, but I spliced it and it works. For this reason the car sat for two years till I bought it and trying to get it in shape.
Might that contribute to the sludge?
Point on prev. maintenance: 3 CV boots ruptured on the front, with no grease around them, so probably a long time.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passats/Audi A4s are notorious for the ABS module failing internally. There are hair-thin wires that need to be resoldered. You can remove the module and ship it off to be rebuilt but still drive the car.

So where would you send it for a rebuild?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I think I sent mine to Module Masters. It was $100. My son owns my A4 now, so I can look at the seal they put on it to be sure.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I am also working on a Audi A4. ABS light on and brake light flashing. Unfortunately my VCDS which works on the the engine for faults does not work on the ABS.

Not sure where to go with it. All the wheel sensors and wiring look ok.

Should I want to remove the module how do I do it? By the fender is the ABS unit. There is a portion with the brake lines. .Fastened onto that is a metal cube with a black cap. Does it stay and remove the black plastic piece below it, and that is what would be sent away for repairs?

My oh so helpful Hanes manual says take it to the dealer.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The electric module can be separated from the assembly. There are a few torx screws. Remove wheel, wheel well liner, and washer bottle. To unplug it, you need to slide the end of the connector out first, as it locks the connection.

Exovcds video

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Zak, good video also. I guess I have 2 cars to do and also the parts car.