brakes

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Gettting ready to do front and rears on my 2015 GSW MT. Stock brakes with 110k miles!

Do I need to worry about overflowing my brake resevior when doing the service, on some vehicles I have had to remove some brake fluid.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if I can do my brake fluid flush at the same time. I don't have a lift any longer so I need to do one wheel at a time.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I would remove some brake fluid before starting the brake job. When you compress the piston to insert the thicker new pads, fluid will
be pushed up into the master. You can flush the brake fluid as part of the job. Do you have 4 jack stands, or can buy 4? I put my car on 4 jack
stands, remove all the wheels, and perform the brake job on all corners. Then starting at the farthest corner from the master, and moving closer to the master, I bleed the brakes.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
All depends when did anyone touch the MC and add brake fluid? If never, you'll be fine, change the pads & rotor then bleed the system one corner at a time, first corner drain more fluid than the rest.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
well, as you start compressing the pistons, keep an eye on the reservoir. That's what I'll do no matter what anybody would say here. costs nothing, no biggy.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
^^^
Yep! Every car I've worked on since roughly the 2002 Mk4 model year has been bled nearest-to-furthest from master cylinder (starting with clutch, if manual transmission).

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I would remove some brake fluid before starting the brake job. When you compress the piston to insert the thicker new pads, fluid will
be pushed up into the master. You can flush the brake fluid as part of the job. Do you have 4 jack stands, or can buy 4? I put my car on 4 jack
stands, remove all the wheels, and perform the brake job on all corners. Then starting at the farthest corner from the master, and moving closer to the master, I bleed the brakes.
I do have 2 jack stands thats a good idea.

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Brakes done. 110k miles on stock brakes om my 2015 MT GSW.

Got everything from ID parts - Fremax rotors, Akebono pads

I would say I coul'dve gone another 3-5k on the originl pads, but it was time. The rotors on the other hand had a ton of material left and I probaly coul've just had them turned on a lathe.

Hardest part of the job was breaking the very tight caliper bolts, not a lot of room to jockey a "breaker" bar on the wrench.

I ended up attaching the tube and cap from my bleeder kit to the brake resevior which was a good idea since the brake fluid would've over flowed from recompressing the calipers.

No brake sensor on this vehicle? Don't think I missed it, does anyone know if that is normal for a Tdi s model?

Doubt I'll get 110k out of the new pads an rotors, but hoping for 50K!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Akebono will outlast original, don't think orig rotors were anything special.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Correct, no sensors on 2015 TDI’s. As far as I know, only the Mk7/7.5 R and maybe the Mk7.5 GTI has them.

What about the MC lvl sensor? Our AT has no sensor either, bean counters must have gotten a crazy xmas bonus!

On the other hand our '15 Passat SEL has a MC lvl sensor,

I3arruka

TDI
Titan - 2015 VW Golf TDI
Gettting ready to do front and rears on my 2015 GSW MT. Stock brakes with 110k miles!

Do I need to worry about overflowing my brake reservoir when doing the service, on some vehicles I have had to remove some brake fluid.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if I can do my brake fluid flush at the same time. I don't have a lift any longer so I need to do one wheel at a time.
It's hard to get used to brakes lasting that long. Every time I switch from winter to summer to winter tires I expect that the rotors and pads will need to be replaced just because it's been 30k and 3/4 yrs since I've had the car (bought with 32k on it and doubt they were replaced then). But no, they seemingly last forever. I'm not super aggressive drive though I would call myself a "spirited driver."

Next time, Deutsche has great videos for DIY maintenance like brakes too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And just think on mk7.5 they even cut out the washer fluid lvl sensor, that's a good $10 saved right there!!

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
I have a 2015 GSW DSG with 130k miles with the original pads. I check them often. Still good. 50mpg on flat roads.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
And just think on mk7.5 they even cut out the washer fluid lvl sensor, that's a good $10 saved right there!!
Of all the sensors, I find this one annoying. It’s easily ruined by some fluids. And it can be tripped driving spiritedly. Nor is it worthy of an alarm.

Low oil or brake fluid? Yeah, that’s a problem. Washer fluid? Whatever.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Of all the sensors, I find this one annoying. It’s easily ruined by some fluids. And it can be tripped driving spiritedly. Nor is it worthy of an alarm.

Low oil or brake fluid? Yeah, that’s a problem. Washer fluid? Whatever.
Old thread but usually the pump starts sucking air about the same time the alarm goes off. Yep, thanks for the "advanced" warning!

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
This thread makes me happy since I was wondering this week when my 50k GSW may need brakes. Not for a while it seems.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Old thread but usually the pump starts sucking air about the same time the alarm goes off. Yep, thanks for the "advanced" warning!
I usually get false warnings going around corners, with enough fluid for my needs for another month or so.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I usually get false warnings going around corners, with enough fluid for my needs for another month or so.
Someone who corners harder than me hmmmm! LOL. And “enough for a month” depends on the month. July? Might not touch the washer all month. January? Hardly stop spraying it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You guys don't have bug season? We're just coming out of black fly season now, but that just means june bug season is just around the corner. Just gotta get past tree pollen season, it turns both cars a crispy yellow in an afternoon sitting outside.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
poor guy, he must have enjoyed that driver assist sensor.