Brakes hung-up?

TSmith

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
While driving I felt like my '03 Jetta was a bit sluggish. I began to smell brakes and realized that the brakes had not fully released from my last stop. I hooked my foot under the pedal and pulled it back to release the pedal.This happened two days ago and hasn't happened again since. Has anyone else had this problem?

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I had the same problem with my '03 last week. I was driving down the freeway and had to keep it floored to maintain speed (about 60mph). When I pushed in the clutch the car noticeably slowed down. I tapped the brakes and it felt like I slammed them to the floor! They were very sensitive. After that they didn’t seem to be dragging. The next day the same thing happened, but this time I pulled up on the petal with my foot. This seemed to “unstick” them. I tool it straight to the dealer after that.

The dealer claimed that they have never heard of that happening before. Luckily, when they test drove it, the same thing happened to them. First, they changed the brake switch, but that didn't help. Now they are going to replace some pump or vacuum part (booster?). Supposedly, I will get it back tomorrow (7/23/03). A service tech told me that another '03 had their brakes lock up! I don't know if that happened while they were driving.

I was told by the dealer that the throttle will be overridden if the brakes are depressed while driving. This might contribute to the sluggishness (in addition to the brakes hanging).

This is my 6th time in for warranty work in 7 months! I'm not too happy with it at all. Today marks the 32nd day (cumulative) that it's been in for repair.

Hope this helps some. I will post the work that the dealer did to fix the problem after I get it back.

TSmith

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Hello spifflifkin, mine is also now in the shop. After the brakes hung-up on Friday, I found out on Monday that when my wife drove the car over the weekend the pedal went all the way to the floor before the car would stop. Apparently this happened 3-4 times and then full pedal came back?

I too have had the car in for warranty work a number of times since my purchase 5 months ago. They have replaced the speed sensor, ECU, worked on numerous rattles, and are now diagnosing no cruise control and the brake problem. I like the car (especially the MPG), but am getting a little concerned with all the problems!

I will also post what diagnosis/repairs were made to my car.

Hope all goes well with your repairs!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
cruise won't engage if the computer thinks the brakes are active. this can be the fault of a brake switch or a burned-out brake lite bulb.

The other problem sounds like a bad batch of master cylinders. Maybe the guys on vwvortex would have more information since it would be common to all VWs.

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Hi TSmith,

I talked to the dealer this afternoon and was told that the master cylinder has to be replaced. Good call weedeater! I should get it back in a day or so. If you are interested in the other problems I've had, check out this post on tdiclub. It's the long one toward the bottom.

That's sounds scary what happened to your wife! Did your dealer claim that they never heard of that problem too?

What's most annoying is all the rattles!!! I wouldn't complain about a rattle that happens when driving over railroad tracks or through a pot hole. The ones that I have complained about are the ones that happen for almost the entire commute to work. I had a 98 Jetta GT before this and was extremely happy with it. Now I am ticked that I sold it. I do like the gas milage of the TDI and am glad that I have a car that I can burn a cleaner fuel in.

Spiff

TDItech

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI GLS Galactic Blue, 2000 Eurovan with ALH fromthe 02 Jetta
The problem is the brake booster. Have done 3 of them in the last two months.

Troy

TSmith

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Here is the latest. We took a copy of this thread to the dealer and suggested that the info might be of some help. The dealer called back a short while later and told us they had called VW and VW told them that there were problems with master cylinders and brake boosters and that both should be replaced.

I was happy to hear them admit to the problem and offer the repair, the downside is it will take ten days to get the parts and make the repairs. They will supply me with a car for this time period.

Anyway, that is the latest. Thanks to all for their input. This website does make a difference, thanks Fred!

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Hello,
I got my car back today. I was told that the brake booster was replaced. There was no more mention of the master cylinder. I live about 2 minutes from the dealer so I didn't get to see if the problem was really gone. I hope the replacement parts are not from the same batch that was used during the original assembly of the car! Maybe TDITech can comment on that??? Please!

Well, good luck with your repairs!

tdiCommuter

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI, Platinum Gray
I had the same problem in conjunction with my Airbag light staying on. Does anyone know if a TSB exists for the brake issue and if so can I get a copy?

Thanks!

moreforyou

i just posted this in the general forum:

i've read a post with someone with the same problem, but the solution wasn't clear. i'd like to do anything to avoid going to the dealer, as it's something i really cannot afford.

so basically, the problem is: when i start up the car, the brakes feel rather spongy. as i drive along the brake pedal gets stiffer and stiffer to the point where if i barely press it, it's like slamming on the brakes. if i stop the car and press hard on the pedal, i can bleed the extra pressure off and keep driving. i have to do this every 5 minutes or so, or the brakes will totally lock up.

the first time this happened, i didn't really know what was going on, so i had to basically floor it to keep the car moving. when i stopped the rear brakes were very hot and stunk horribly.

if anyone can shine some light on this problem it would be MUCH appreciated. thank you.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
This sounds like a faulty brake booster too.

TDItech

Veteran Member
TDI
No it's not the same batch. It's actually aven a differnt part number.

Troy

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
TDITech

That's good to hear. Hopefully it is better quality than the original. So far mine is still working.

Can you tell me if garages other than the dealers can do warranty work? If so, can you recommend one in Seattle (Ballard).

Thanks!

TDItech

Veteran Member
TDI
The only way that an independent shop can do warranty work is if your in the middle of nowhere and it's not feasible to get to a dealer. Then you can be reimbursed. Besides, why not come see me - University VW.

Troy

tdiCommuter

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI, Platinum Gray
Good news! I faxed this thread to the dealership and they now have a master cylinder and brake booster on order. Hopefully all goes well. I should know today or tomorrow when I pick my car up.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
This is a follow-up from on my problem!

Ok Follow up 01 AUG 03 - Im driving back form the Alexandria PD and tap the breaks to slow up a little for an upcomming exit ramp. OMG The peddle now pushes in a little with my help and then ALL BY IT SELF - DROPS to the FLOOR - The Tires lock up for a second then release. Then it happens like 5 or 6 more times with in the 15 to 20 min on the way to the VW Dealership.

The sound it made when the peddle went to the floor was like the sound when you take the AIR PRESSURE house off of your valve stem when filling your tires with air.

The tires lock up so fast and release it's scarry.

I was told it was the BOOST Assist or something like that. They don't have the part in stock but Springfield VW shows one in stock. But just incase they gave me a 03 Jetta to use while it is in the shop
Now thats something I did not expect.

Thank You verrry much Alexandria VW!!

moreforyou

here's a follow up to my problem also:

i've had the car at the dealership since last thursday. first they say it's some sort of "rear brake" adjustments that were out of whack, so i'm happy, they don't charge me anything, and i leave with my car. I get 2 miles down the road, and the rear brakes are locking up again. I pull into the service department, and the rear brakes are extremely hot, and you can smell them. they apologize, and give me a loaner car and say it will be fixed the next day. they even called in another mechanic and he walks in and before he even looks at it says "oh, i know what's wrong, it's the vacuum hoses (that attach to the brake booster i assume?)

i go back to the dealer the next day, and they say the vacuum hoses were fine and it was just that the rear brakes were installed wrong. so i pay them, leave, get two miles down the road and the back brakes are locking up again. the service guy tells me he drove the car for 35 miles and it was working fine. i leave the car there and they say they'll take care of it.

i call monday, and they didn't even know my car was there. then the service manager calls me 5 minutes later asking me where my car is. i guess he eventually found it, because he called me back and told me he just drove it for 20 more miles and it's working fine. i tell him he must have some sort of magic touch. so i go down there after work, and drive the car with a tech. i can feel the pedal getting stiffer as we're going, so i'm confident i can finally prove this to them. i get out, get the tech to drive, and he says it feels fine and there's basically nothing they can do unless he can drive it and the brakes are totally locking up. i tell him this has already happened more than once. i don't think he believes me.

we get back to the dealer, and another manager decides that it must be the brake fluid doing this. so today they're flushign and changing my brake fluid for free. i doubt this will do anything, and i'll get two miles down the road and they'll be tightening up.

i've told them that i've researched the problem, found people with the exact problem to the t, and that the problem should be with the brake booster. they don't believe me, and say that that doesn't even make sense. i know i'm going to go back there today and it's still going to be broken...

so basically, should i just bite the bullet, take the gamble and tell them to put in a brake booster? take it to another dealer? take it to an independent mechanic?

what would you guys do? please help.

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I feel your pain! My dealer is the same way. Another person took (or faxed) this thread in to the dealer and apparently that helped. Maybe another dealer would be a good idea too. That is what I am trying next time. 2 of the 6 visits to service were caused by previous services!

Best of luck!

moreforyou

I'm seriously thinking of just trading the car in to another dealer and just dumping the car on them. i'm pretty much even on what i owe to what the car is worth on a trade in. if they can't fix it, why am i paying 400 dollars a month for a car that i can barely drive? i really don't know what else to do.

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
That might not be a bad idea. What kind of a car would you be getting next? I'm pretty much waiting for the next major problem then I won't have any trouble taking mine back as a lemon. I wish I would have got a wagon in the first place...

moreforyou

i'm thinking of just getting a used honda for now. every single person i know that's had one has never had a bad thign to say, and having low payments for awhile would be really nice.

and to update on the dealer again, i just called them, and they were supposed to be flushing the brake fluid and replacing it...they forgot my car was there. again. well, at least it will be done by the time i'm done with work.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to get rid of this car asap though. i've honestly not had as many problems as some of the other people on this site, but paying for repairs on these cars is ridiculous. the fact that i don't really know anything about cars really doesn't help either.