Brake system flush refresh

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
How much fluid should I order to do a flush? Any old dot 4? Just want to refresh the fluid since its been 5 years. Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A liter is generally plenty, if you really want to push it all through you should also run the ABS system tests with a suitable scan tool as well.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Thanks does our power steering need a fluid change ever? Im just trying to keep my mk4 in the road for 600k plus miles currently at 480k and will be performing 4th TB service among other things. Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you want to suck the reservoir out and replenish with new it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. These don't typically have much power steering problems.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
In my experiance on a dirty system the brake fluid needs to be changed a 2nd time after a week of driving. New clean fluid tends to clean more than what just came out.
You can pop the resiviour off and clean it with brake parts cleaner and let it dry. If you are carefull you wont add issues to the master.
Going with a vac or pressure bleed you need to pump the pedal at least a few times on one of the bleeds. This gets the remaining bits out of the master that otherwise cant leave.
You dont have to but it's good if you cycle the abs pump with vcds.