Brake reservoir to clutch master hose size?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hello all
I have searched high and low and still am unable to find dimensions for this hose.

All I get from online sources is length. I'm hoping that someone has dealt with it before maybe?

Part # 857 721 453 (huge application list)

If anyone knows actual OD / ID I'd be glad for the info.

Thanks!

Steve A

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
ETKA does not say, but usually you can use an open end wrench and slide it over the smooth part of the nipple (below the barb) and get a fairly close measurement. I am going to guess 8mm.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
ETKA does not say, but usually you can use an open end wrench and slide it over the smooth part of the nipple (below the barb) and get a fairly close measurement. I am going to guess 8mm.
I was hoping in the area of 7.5-8 cuz I need a replacement nipple for the MC and you can get one very similar for BMW but of course VW doesn't list the nipple separately.

Here's BMW version:

Thanks OH!

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Well I found one at the local JY, it was on a very old and crusty E30 BMW. I got it to compare with the piece of the original I still have. I'm inclined to believe that it is a suitable substitute and almost if not the same size. I'm pretty sure that the missing part of my original was identical to the way the BMW nipple looked.

It was actually way too hot to be out there...

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I was going to say 8mm, since it looks like the braided fuel line, on my cars.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I was going to say 8mm, since it looks like the braided fuel line, on my cars.

-Todd
BMW says their hose is 7.5mm, the remnants of the VW nipple is slightly loose on a 8mm open end wrench so I think they're close enough.

I'm going to try and fit the used BMW one I have and if that works I'll order another one.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The BMW nipple works great, very snug fit into the MC but it does go in and the factory hose fits fine.

Steve