Brake recommendations

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Group, I'm at 103000 on my GSW MT with origianl brakes.

They appear to be pretty good, but I think I will be doing front an rear pads and rotors in the next couple of months.

Any on have any good, or bad, brake parts stories? I've bought all of my parts so far through ID Parts or the dealership, but there are too many to pick from with brakes.

Thanks in advance

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Rotor upgrade is definitely recommended, along with the needed larger rear calipers. I used Akebono ceramic. Braking is much improved with larger rear rotors. buch better response and feel.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Will 16" wheels work with the upgrade?

Rotor upgrade is definitely recommended, along with the needed larger rear calipers. I used Akebono ceramic. Braking is much improved with larger rear rotors. buch better response and feel.

TDI
2015 Golf SW TDI SE
I attempted to install rear GTI calipers, but the orientation of the e brake cable was an issue. It would have required reorienting the locations screw for the bracket on the caliper. I also tried mounting the GTI carrier with the stock caliper but the bolt spacing for the calipers were different.

I wasn’t able to figure out the correct dust shield. I took a chance on the All Track rear dust shields but they mount differently then my 2015 TDI.

I can post part numbers that I have if that helps.

If anyone can share what worked well for them, that would be great!

I’d be happy to post photos as well.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Here is the answer to both questions: Splash guards from a 2019 jetta work perfectly and are about 20 apiece. On the gti calipers you have to remove the park brake arm ,spring and cable bracket, then using your original caliper, orient the cable bracket to the same position as the original caliper, mark the hole for the mounting screw, drill and tap a new hole for the screw, reassemble the actuator arm to same position as original caliper. That whole mod takes less than 1/2 hour.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Watch the depth you drill so you don't drill into the chamber. I used flat bottom tap after first using a standard tapered one. You can make a flat bottom tap by either using an old tap, breaking it off above the taper, grinding it flat if you can't find one. Or, if screw bottoms out, shorten the screw.

i

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Long shot here but what is the largest brake a 17 inch wheel will accept on Mk7s? I have seen some with Boxster S brakes and could not verify how painful it was to do the swap.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
16" factory wheels fit fine over the larger rotor/caliper combination. In my description of the gti caliper mods, I did forget one important thing. You need to change the brake lines.The original rear brake lines use a 12mm banjo fitting and the gti calipers use a 10mm banjo. Also you need brake lines that are about 2" longer. Solution is techna-fit.com. They made a few sets for me and will make them in many different colors. They are stainless. They will supply you too with the proper 10mm banjo bolts and copper washers. Cost was a little over 22 each line and are 2" longer than the original lines.

techna-fit.com

p.s. the end fittings are stainless as well, very classy in color of your choice.

TDI
2015 Golf SW TDI SE
Here is the answer to both questions: Splash guards from a 2019 jetta work perfectly and are about 20 apiece. On the gti calipers you have to remove the park brake arm ,spring and cable bracket, then using your original caliper, orient the cable bracket to the same position as the original caliper, mark the hole for the mounting screw, drill and tap a new hole for the screw, reassemble the actuator arm to same position as original caliper. That whole mod takes less than 1/2 hour.
Thank you so much for the information! The Jetta ones should fit because they have a twist-beam rear end as well, correct? Would you happen to have the correct part number or link for the backing plates? From the online part catalogs, there a few options but can’t quite tell which has the same mounting points as the one currently on my car.

Edit: I think this may the splash shield from a Jetta that fits: 5Q0615611P

If you scroll down this page to the second diagram, the backing plate #14 looks to be correct but it isn’t listed anywhere below: https://parts.volkswagensantamonica.com/v-2019-volkswagen-jetta--s--1-4l-l4-gas/brakes--rear-brakes

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd recommend a brake kit from IDParts. The couple I've bought from them are on par with OEM- which is to say, excellent. You won't have to worry about fitment issues if you go that route. Stock brakes are more than adequate. The bigger ones are all for show.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The rear brakes are far from adequate, thats why the '19 jetta has larger rear rotors/splash shields. Sure, the stock brakes stop the car but the difference in braking with larger rear brakes is quite stunning.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe the stock brakes are inadequate if you're towing way more than you should be. Or if you regularly track the car- which they really aren't any good for. Or if you're a jackrabbit driver constantly slamming on the brakes. Otherwise, stock is more than adequate for all normal use- including descending Mt. Washington heavily loaded. People get the bigger brakes because they like the way they look. It's really just extra unsprung weight.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unless you have driven one with the larger front and rear brakes, it would be difficult to say the difference is not worth doing. The rear pads have almost 100% more friction area, the parking brake holds much better as well. The 2015 beam axle tdi's both vw and audi a3's were a pretty short production run. I wrote this in response to someone asking for upgrade suggestions. Its probably one of three upgrades I did that really make the car far better than it came from the factory. If the small rotor/caliper/pad combo were so great, they would have continued using them on the new jetta with its beam axle. If you don't think I know what I'm talking about, fine, but others here may benefit from this information.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think it really comes down to what you are used to, how they feel, how you drive, etc.

I put the one size up bigger front brakes on one of my Golfs. Driving around empty and in a pretty conservative manner (I don't use the brakes much anyway), you'd never know. But towing a trailer or doing any hard braking on a winding road, it is absolutely much better. So much so, I am going to do it to the other car, too. And I'll never tow anything with that one.

The great thing is, we (people that actually still own TDIs and drive them every day) can dip into the GTI/GLI parts bin and cobble together relatively cheap and effective upgrades for things like brakes that fit and work perfectly.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, if some people feel like the bigger brakes make a difference, I won't argue with that. I just know that my Golf that was upgraded to GTI power levels never felt like it needed more braking power. Maybe the mk7's got downgraded? In any case, I can definitely appreciate the visual appeal of some fat painted GTI calipers and rotors.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess you were not talking about a 2015 golf tdi with a beam axle.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a fair point- my experience is solely with the mk6 Golfs. Other than the few times I've test driven mk6 and mk7 GTI's(which really felt no different than my tdi brake-wise). My 2.5L mk6 Golf that I daily drive now also stops extremely well. I think it may have slightly smaller rear rotors than my tdi did. Even if there's no performance advantage to the bigger brakes for 99% of owners, there's nothing wrong with modifying for aesthetics. That's why we buy rims, swap grilles, etc., etc.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope, I don't own one. But I don't think that's a prerequisite for general automotive knowledge. The older tdi's didn't even have discs in the back, and I don't recall hearing all that much complaining about their braking performance. To each his own. I've been quite happy with OEM and the IDParts brake kits.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, we could take a poll of how many owners here with the factory brakes feel they are inadequate. :)

I have read just about every review published on the N. American mk7 Golf tdi. While they are generally quite positive for the most part, there are a number of complaints about the twist beam axle's effect on handling. And numerous other minor issues. Strangely, not a single one mentions any braking deficiencies. I apologize to the OP if this thread became somewhat contentious. That was not my intention. Goodnight, and good luck!

TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
I just changed my fronts to non-PP GTI fronts and GTI PP rears last week and I'm happy with the feel and the balance seems good as well. I was unsure how it would be with the rears just about as large as the fronts but it works out pretty good. I trimmed the lip off the rear shields (GTI shields did not work as someone else mentioned. I did not try any other ones) and rerouted the parking brake cable over the beam axle (with the help/advice of someone on a facebook group). I also had custom braided rear hoses made so the length would be correct. I was sent the wrong front hoses so I have the rubber ones in front until I receive the correct ones. Overall I'm happy with the conversion and I love not having the non-vented rear rotor. I always hated those for some reason. I don't track the car or anything like that so I suppose it wasn't necessary but I can't leave well enough alone apparently haha. I also put in Akebono pads and panic stops seem to be quite good

oilhammer

TDI
How much "older"? Our 2001 had disc brakes front and back...
The A3 Jetta and B4 Passats when equipped with the TDI had drums in the rear. They were also based on a much older (1985) era platform (A2), albeit with a lot of enhancements.... but only 90hp... and were not very heavy.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, I stand corrected. Not sure why I lumped them in with the A3s. Been so long since I have seen a B4, and the last one was an ABA+automatic. :eek:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If there is a time you need that extra braking power, its good to know its there. Hopefully you'll never be in a situation that you need it, but you never know.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Yeah, I stand corrected. Not sure why I lumped them in with the A3s. Been so long since I have seen a B4, and the last one was an ABA+automatic. :eek:
I understand: it's been so long since I've thought about, let alone driven or worked on my B4s, I had to go take a look to be sure! :eek:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've done three of the rotor/gti caliper upgrades/mod, two other than mine, both other drivers have liked the improved performance. Availability of good used gti calipers presently is ok, but may get tighter if this mod becomes popular. Next is installation of koni special active rear shocks to replace sachs noisy ones.