Brake Piston Resetting Tool

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Will the same "Brake Resetting Tool" be sized so that it can not only press back the piston on the front calipers but the smaller rears too - or do I need two seperate resetting tools to get both the front and smaller rear pistons pressed back in?

Do I even need a brake resetting tool or you guys getting by with a carpenters C clamp and a block of wood - without cocking the piston?

What is the brake resetting tool of choice and where is a good place to buy it? Was looking at a Metelnerd.....but ...it's appearence and methond of operation is much different than what I see in my Bentley Books under T 10145 for their tool which looks more like a large ' L ' .

Blair

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The rears need to be cranked back in, the fronts just puch back in.

My tool is a Snap-On, probably overkill for the DIY'r, though. But it works perfectly.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
For the rears, you can buy a generic brake tool like this
. One side of the tool has four tabs, cut two of them off. You now have a 3/8 drive brake tool for VW rear disc calipers. That and a small block of wood are all you need.

oilhammer

TDI
Heh, those generally won't fit in the rear calipers of a B5 if the pads are worn down past about 20%. Plus they work like crap. I have one of those gathering dust I'll gladly GIVE anyone that wants it. Worthless.

I also have an 'OEM' brand tool kit that works decent enough. The number on the case is 27111 and it was only about $25 IIRC. I think even places like Wal-Mart or Autozone probably have those.

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-27111-Disc-Brake-Tool/dp/B00062ZO5S

That actually fits better on the calipers on the B5 and A4 rears than my Snap-On one does, but the Snappy one is a little easier to twist in.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I've only done this a few times - on A4 platform cars, but I found the Metalnerd tool easier to use than the "official" VW tool...

FWIW...

Yuri

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
OilHammer,

Thanks.....I assume the blank - that looks like a brake shoe- with no pad left has some centering pins drilled in it so that assorment of discs can attach to the blank look brake pad - then the right size dish inserts in the piston and keeps the piston from cocking?

Blair

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Heh, those generally won't fit in the rear calipers of a B5 if the pads are worn down past about 20%. Plus they work like crap. I have one of those gathering dust I'll gladly GIVE anyone that wants it. Worthless.

I also have an 'OEM' brand tool kit that works decent enough. The number on the case is 27111 and it was only about $25 IIRC. I think even places like Wal-Mart or Autozone probably have those.

This one:

That actually fits better on the calipers on the B5 and A4 rears than my Snap-On one does, but the Snappy one is a little easier to twist in.
**** the B5. :D It works great on B4 and other tubs.

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
Yes, dont waste your money on the universal cube. Almost impossible to work with. Ignore the youtube video showing how easy they work on other makes, the B5 is unique and special! The kit from autozone/advance is great and free loaner. (actually you buy and return complete for full refund) Its called master disc brake kit I believe. I got the $35 pads from Impex for the rears, works fine, no dust.

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Snood,

Wonder why they give 2 threaded cranks. I could understand if they are both different size - maybe the photo playing tricks on my eyes - but they look identical. Regardless, looks like a good deal. Two Chinnese cranks made of your Chinesium steel for the price of one.....how can I lose? .....Then again...maybe you get two Chinesium Steel cranks - not for different size calipers...but ...in case the first Chinesium one breaks in half.

Anyway, do you know if this "Pittsburgh Pro" brake service tool fits our Passat Calipers?

Blair

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Thats a nice kit. I've got their older one that only has one crank and non-magnetic adapters. The magnetic adapters is a nice feature that I wish I had.

It says right and left side adapters. I wonder if they mean that one turns clockwise and the other counter clockwise. Are there calipers that need to be turned in the opposite direction?

Anyway, I'm sure it will fit.

Last edited:

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
Anyway, do you know if this "Pittsburgh Pro" brake service tool fits our Passat Calipers?

Blair
Yes it does. The "push plate" goes over the T-handle shaft and pushes off the inside of the caliper. ;)

When you buy another non-VW vehicle in the future, the tool will work on it as well. Personally, I smell Honda. :p

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon

This one:

I have this very 'OEM' brand tool. I think it works great.

I believe you can get this at Autozone through their free rental program.

oilhammer

TDI
never had a problem using c clamps and the old brake pads
And that there is why I get to replace so many rear calipers on cars like these. :rolleyes:

"I hit it with a hammer, and it wouldn't move, so I got a bigger hammer...." butchers, :mad: