brake pad light

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
I have this warning dash light saying I have a thin front brake pad. I have replaced the pads and caliper on the front rt. wheel, but the light remains after numerous engine cycles [restarts]. How to nix this light. I tried the diagnostic software, but I can't find a check brake light fix. What to do?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The left front wheel has wiring for a brake wear sensor. Sometimes aftermarket pads won't have the wire. Either yours is unplugged, or the wire is cut somewhere. Also, codes would be listed under instruments in VCDS, not the engine ecm.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
There is a way to disable the brake pad wear light through VCDS.
It’s been a while, but you have to go into adaptation and change from a 1 to a zero.
Again last time I did this was about 10 years ago.
Hopefully someone who does this will chime in with the correct window to change it in.

You can send Rosstech a message and ask them where to adjust it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So did you only replace the pads and rotor on the front right?

The inner left pad is the one with the wire. If the new pads didn’t have a wire to plug in or you don’t have vcds just jumper the plug with a short wire or paper clip tape it up and the light will stay out.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I have this warning dash light saying I have a thin front brake pad. I have replaced the pads and caliper on the front rt. wheel, but the light remains after numerous engine cycles [restarts]. How to nix this light. I tried the diagnostic software, but I can't find a check brake light fix. What to do?
This post should fix you up, I just did this my last brake/rotor change because the light/warning was on after I did my installation. Note that my new pads came with the wire and plug and I had it plugged in, but it still threw a code.

A couple weeks later I had to remove the wheel to do something else (after I removed the warning with VCDS), so I unplugged the connector just to check it , and low and behold one of the prongs wasn't set good in the plug and when I pushed the connectors together, one of the prongs wasn't set and pushed out. Therefore It wasn't completing the circuit. I fixed it and plugged it back in, so I'm sure if I went back in the coding and turned it back on it would be fine, but I've opted not to. I can see when my pads are wearing.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296700

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Or just twist the 2 wires together and be done with the problem that way.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Brake pad warning light

I replaced the right front caliper and pads because the caliper bleed screw was broken off and the inside pad was very thin [outside pad OK]. I have had a left sensor wire come unpluged, so I'll check it. The light came on about the time I noticed the rt. caliper-pad issue and thought that was the cause of the light. I soldered the 2 wires leading to the left front sensor and the light went out HARRAH. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: