Brake Light Brightness Difference

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
I replaced the passenger side brake/signal bulb a while back and they seemed to work fine. Last week, I had my wife do a couple drive-bys so I can see what it looked like rolling down the road.

As she drove by I noticed that the passenger brake light worked but was not as bright as the factory bulb on the drivers side.
I replaced both bulbs with a set from my local auto parts place (Sylvania Long Life) thinking that there must be a difference between a factory bulb & an aftermarket replacement.

Got both swapped out and the passenger side is still less bright. The turn signal brightness is fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
check the contacts and connection points at and on the lamp housing?

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Omaha,

The "new" bulbs are probably a lower wattage bulb than the originals. I want to say there is a 5 watt bulb and a 10 watt bulb when you're looking at replacements. The 10 watt bulb is brighter, but it also generates more heat.

Eric

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
i have 50w for back up lights, left them on for 10 minutes, no excessive heat. i will be replacing all the brake bulbs to 50w next time.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
This^^^ I had a similar problem to yours with my headlights. New bulbs, one dim, one fine, bright's equall. The contacts weren't making connection and bulb was only getting partial power.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
This^^^ I had a similar problem to yours with my headlights. New bulbs, one dim, one fine, bright's equall. The contacts weren't making connection and bulb was only getting partial power.
You were spot on
Finally pulled the taillight & checked. When I wiggled the connector the brightness changed. I pulled the socket apart & gave it a good clean up with electrical spray cleaner. I also checked the wires going into the socket & one looked a little crimped. I straightened the wire & looked for any breaks or tears and it was good. Put the socket back together, applied the brakes, wiggled the wiring harness to see if it changed, and all is well again.

Thanks

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
It's pretty simple actually. They just pry out, it's a friction-fit with some spring-loaded fasteners. Use one of those plastic interior panel removers, or carefully, pry it out with a flat head screwdriver. Put some painters tape on the fender where you're prying so as not to scratch the paint.