Brake Fluid Warning

M

mickey

The VW owners manuals mentions somewhere that you shouldn't use DOT 5 brake fluid. The Bentley manual goes into more detail. If you're like me, when you shop for that kind of thing you tend to buy the gnarliest, most expensive stuff you can find. I used to use high-temperature, silicon based DOT 5 brake fluid all the time for no other reason than it seemed like a cool idea. But here's a direct quote from Bentley regarding use of DOT 5 fluid in an ABS system:

"Do not use silicone-based brake fluids (DOT 5). This fluid is incompatible with the brake system and even the smallest trace can cause severe corrosion."

Wow. The point is well taken. Thought I'd share that with you all, since some of you might do the periodic brake fluid replacement yourselves. Use the exact fluid specified by VW.

-mickey

S

SkyPup

Silicone based DOT 5 should never be mixed with DOT 3 or 4 in anything.

M

mickey

Maybe that's why the brakes in my 240Z used to leak all the time. I must have rebuilt those calipers a thousand times! I've noticed the Checker Auto Parts no longer sells DOT 5 fluid.

-mickey

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
I was just at a local Grand Auto and saw Castrol Synthetic brake fluid in DOT 3 and/or 4. Sounds cool. I'll switch to this stuff after my freebie two year VWoA-paid-for fluid change. I'll switch over to stainless braided lines just before bringing it in. Hehe.

------------------
'98 Jetta TDi with Hopa Module and custom short shifter

diesel_freak

Veteran Member
While Mickey is absolutely right about the harmful effects of DOT 5 brake fluid (silicone based), there is an even higher perfroming fluid out now which is DOT 5.1. DOT 5.1 IS NOT silicone,and is compatible with all braking systems, including ABS brakes. Look up the Autotech Sport Tuning catalog, they sell Lucas Girling 5.1 brake fluid. It has the highest wet (184 C) and dry (272 C) boiling points of any brake fluid short of the ultra-expensive Castrol SRF racing brake fluid. Motul and AP Racing also sell DOT 5.1 fluids. If you just drive on the street, they are overkill. If you live in mountainous areas (Mickey) or take your car to track days, it could be a lifesaver.

M

mickey

Actually it's worth it to me just because it sounds cool and it's expensive. "Lucas Girling." I like it.

-mickey

M

mickey

Yeah, I know, but we're not talking about ignition parts. (Or refrigerators, for that matter.) I can describe about 30 different ways, from memory, to keep a '74 Austin Marina running via the innovative use of baling wire and black electrical tape. SU-type carburators SUCK! They suck in an Austin, and they sucked in my old 240Z! You'll not find many cars more poorly constructed than a Jaguar, but just try saying the word: Jaguar...Jaguar... You want one now, don't you! I love British cars, but you sure don't want to rely on one. They're strictly hobby cars. I know a guy in Park City, where I work, who owns an absolutely perfect Austin Mini Cooper "S". Now THAT's a cool car!

-mickey

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Hey, Mickey, I know just what you mean about SU type carbs on a 240Z. The first thing I did to my 'Z' when my brother sold it to me was to reassemble the carbs that he totally disassembled. I had a date that night and managed to get the car running and made it there, albeit smelling like gasoline. That was the very first car that I had my name on the title! Ah, the memories...

S

SkyPup

I use Motul 5.1 in my high performance motorcycle disc brake setup for the ultra high heat protection, works great. It is expensive though and may be overkill in a car unless you are in the mountains alot frying brake pads routinely.

BIGJOHNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (Black) mine; 2011 Golf (UGM) hers
Now when you guys say it's "overkill," is it bad if the brakes never need the extra heat capacity, or is it just unjustifiably expensive.
I'm not sure if I worded that right, but the reason I say this is I'll be getting in a job soon where I don't know where I'll be and I'll be moving often (can you guess?). What kind of price difference are we talking here, because I'd love the piece of mind (although I don't have a TDI yet). Later!

John
bigjohno@usa.net

M

mickey

BIGJOHNO, it's just overkill. We're that sort of people, I guess. The VW stuff will work just fine, unless you're racing. The brake pads will fry long before the fluid would boil.

-mickey

N Dennis

Veteran Member
The best bang for the buck in bettering the brakes is putting on a set of Carbon Fiber Metallic pads on the car. A little dusty and sometimes squeal, but they run a lot cooler than OEM pads.

M

mickey

BTW, BIGJOHNO, I will guess: Drug Dealer. Or perhaps you're entering the Federal Witness Protection Program. Am I warm, or cold?

-mickey