Brake fluid squirting from behind booster

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
So I recently bought a MK3 for a parts car. Engine and drive train is in great shape, body is badly rusted. My intention is to use it until its time to tear it apart. The other day I was pulling out of the driveway and the brake pedal went to the floor. Finally got around to checking it today and found brake fluid squirting out from behind the booster.

I'm assuming there's a seal/o-ring that has let loose in the master cylinder. BTW...this MK3 has ABS if that makes a difference. I've never seen a GL MK3 with ABS. Anyway, What are the chances that it's as easy as a new master cylinder??? I really don't want to put a lot of money into this thing, just to tear it apart eventually. On the other hand I'd like to have it road worthy till that time.

Any thoughts???

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Looks like you need to replace the master cylinder. Pretty straightforward job. OEM manufacturer is ATE, I think the MC itself is around $100. I wouldn’t use a used master cylinder.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yea. It's just orings.
Take it apart. Clean it up. Replace orings
Might have a rusted out c clip that holds the assembly in.
$2 in parts vs a new part for now? Try and fix what you got. Its actually easy to do this.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear. Just don't want to dump a lot of money into this thing before I tear it apart

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If you need to take off the brake booster to clean it of fluid or paint or replace it or anything at all, check this video i made out on how to remove it.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Here's another question...Has anyone installed ABS on a Non-ABS car? My donor has ABS, my daily does not. Is it worth it? Is there any connection to the main ecu? If I can use it, I might as well take advantage of it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's another question...Has anyone installed ABS on a Non-ABS car? My donor has ABS, my daily does not. Is it worth it? Is there any connection to the main ecu? If I can use it, I might as well take advantage of it.
IMO if your daily driving this in rush our, yea ABS is nice and could make the difference, BUt if your like me, driving like a mad man to and from and at the track, ABS is worthless once you learn how to not lock them up.
BUT, yes. you can swap it out. you need the axle rings and wiring and wha not. the ECU has nothing to do with the ABS, its a separate module. i think the ECU does talk to it for codes and cycling it in VCDS but im not sure. its been done though.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You'll end up likely buying all new sensors at the wheels because they get destroyed trying to remove them. Also you will need to replace the front hubs with ones that have the tone ring installed, and the hub needs to be removed to do it, or you have to take the complete bearing carrier from the ABS car. You also need to install tone rings on the rear drum/hub (one piece) and maybe replace some other parts on the stub axle.

Then there's the electrics to handle it too.

It's a project, but it can be done. Personally I wouldn't add it if I didn't have it...

Steve

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
You'll end up likely buying all new sensors at the wheels because they get destroyed trying to remove them. Also you will need to replace the front hubs with ones that have the tone ring installed, and the hub needs to be removed to do it, or you have to take the complete bearing carrier from the ABS car. You also need to install tone rings on the rear drum/hub (one piece) and maybe replace some other parts on the stub axle.

Then there's the electrics to handle it too.

It's a project, but it can be done. Personally I wouldn't add it if I didn't have it...

Steve

Thank Steve for your input. That all sounds like something that will be put right at the bottom of my to-do list. I rebuilt the suspension on my daily less than 50k miles ago.