Brake carrier bolt torque - for replacement carrier?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
OK, so I know that Bentley specifies 48 ft-lbs, and that everywhere else people seem to say the same, but...

I'm installing new carriers and have found that due to the thickness of these carriers the bolts do not engage them like the original carriers (bolt threads would actually extend past the bolt holes a bit, whereas with the new carriers they seem to be a good 1/3" shy of filling the bolt holes [keep in mind that the front part of the hole is not threaded]).

I was installing one carrier and got the top bolt torqued to 48 ft-lbs, but when doing the lower one I could feel that it was starting to give way. Talked to the parts vendor and it was suggested to use a lower torque. It's a bit frustrating in that I'm not seeing any accounting of this problem by anyone else. I'm considering going with 40 ft-lbs and using loctite (blue).

Did I get a defective carrier, or are replacement ones just not as capable of holding the factory torque? Maybe it's that longer bolts are needed?

This was pretty much a simple job and now it's just turned to crap.:mad: (so much for using all new parts!)

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm thinking that it was one of the old bolts (I used them and then realized that I did in fact have new ones- lots of parts all over the place!). A concern is that it's not the bolt that stripped but the carrier bolt hole. Will see shortly when I start back at it.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I didn't want to chance it. It WAS the old bolt that appeared to get weak (though it's possible the head was giving out- I didn't go back and look) but after measuring how much bite these bolts are really getting -1/2"- I figured I'd go a bit under and use loctite. I ran it to 40 ft-lbs and then went to 44 ft-lbs and called it good. It's fairly fine thread and I was worried that the carriers might be the weak point: not going to press my luck any more.

In my mind the new bolts were never spec'd properly for the newer carriers, manufacturers still using the old sizing. I suspect they're working, but are right on the edge.