Brake booster removal tool dimensions?

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has the brake booster removal tool and could share the dimensions? Particularly the end that pushes in the plastic tabs.

Alternatively, if anyone has a brake booster sitting around and could measure the diameter of the ball end of the booster shaft that would work too.

I'm going to make a tool here at work for it but I forgot to measure my new booster before I left this morning :(.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Hmm...I changed mine a couple years back on one of my '03 Wagons and did not require any special tools that I can recall. I am curious as to what the special tool looks like and what it is used for.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i did the same thing years ago when i needed this tool... my buddy, who worked at the vw dealer, took me back into the secret tool room while i took spy photos and measurements :)

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, I could spend a weekend doing that :). Half the fun of working on these cars is making my own tools lol. Just glad I have a machinist at work.

Got the tool made, the pics were brilliant, popped the booster off without much trouble. The plastic tabs are harder than you think, had to give a pretty good tug until I felt it click and the pedal came right off :).

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
That's a piece of channel ground just so and welded to a 1/2 rod. I could easily make it in like an hour at most!
In the pic it looks like they welded a thick bar and ground it with a grinder to get the depth and bevel.
I know they used a machine with the proper cutting wheel.
Easily copied though.

Last edited:

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, pretty much how I made mine. 1/2 inch rebar bent to shape, cut a piece of 1 inch channel and welded to 12mm gap between the forks. Was a little tight getting in because the dimensions for the bends weren't perfect but close enough to get the job done.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Unfortunately, most of these pics are gone forever unless the one who posted re-loads them either through the TDI Photo Gallery or another web host. Or, if someone reading this Thread knows what they are and has them to post.

I'm glad I quit Photo Bucket way back. I'm still replacing pics in my ALH in the Vanagon conversion project. I dumped my Photo Bucket account when they changed the rules. I hope they go belly up!

Sadly, throughout the TDI Club and other auto web sites dead Photo Bucket pics are in many Threads, and most will never be updated. Lots of members who posted them are no longer active.

Joost2808

TDI
Seat Inca SDI, but want to make it a TDI
Thank you guys so much. I managed to fabricate the tool with the photos. I used it on my Seat Inca and the brake pedal just popped lose.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Posting this from a previous post:

You can use a 10 mm wrench to push the plastic clips to pop the "ball" from the brake booster shaft out of the plastic "socket". It's hard to describe but use an open end 10mm wrench to push the plastic tabs while pulling the brake pedal up/towards you.

I've done this several times without breaking the plastic "socket" in the brake pedal.

Eric