BP Diesel Fuel

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
the local BP stations that have BP Diesel the pumps say min 40 Celene so is BP Diesel just 40 Celene are do you think it is higher than what the sticker on the pump said ? :confused:

Last edited:

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I think you mean cetane;) No real way to know exactly. I use BP Premium Diesel rated at a minimum of 47...best fuel around that's available in my neck of the woods:)

Qship

TDI
02 Jetta TDI
A new BP station opened near me. It states "diesel" with no cetane rating. My guess is BP has two offerings, regular diesel or premium diesel. It looks like I have the regular diesel.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
securityguy said:
I think you mean cetane;) No real way to know exactly. I use BP Premium Diesel rated at a minimum of 47...best fuel around that's available in my neck of the woods:)
Where in Va. is your neck of the woods? ... Actually where is the Premium diesel Station you speak of?

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
BP Diesel Fuel Grades and cetane

sorry about the miss spelling yes i was talking about cetane and the BP Stations here have just the 40 cetane stickers on the pumps. BP has three grade's of diesel they have premier and premium and 40 cetane so i was wondering what the cetane is on the lowest grade since that is what we have here. :( i would buy the better grades if i could fine it local. :)

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I started using a local premium brand with high lubricity and cetane because of all the anxiety about the HPFP, but before that I used BP almost exclusively and found it gave me the best mpg. I don't know which version it was because there was no information on the pump. I figured it was fresh because there's a big refinery on Lake Michigan in NW Indiana at Whiting. It certainly would be nice if a giant, international company like BP told it's customers more about the products it sells.

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
40cetane is the american standard for diesel. only the premier will be 50. finding it is the trick.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
Jack_Berry said:
40cetane is the american standard for diesel. only the premier will be 50. finding it is the trick.
Ok., I found a pump in town Charlottesville, Va. that says min.47 cetane on it. When I asked the folks inside the store they could not confirm , and said all BP diesel is premium. I know for a fact that is not true, and now doubt the cetane rating on the pumps. Is there any way to verify/test cetane ? Thanks.:confused:

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Reminds me. If it's the BP station at Barracks Road, that used to be Amoco, which I think BP bought.

Think it was Amoco (could have been BP) diesel that I bought in New Orleans in about 1995. That was the only water white (e.g. clear) diesel I'd seen at that point. Think they're probably all clear now from ULSD refining, but different suppliers put their own coloring in them.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
RalphVa said:
Is this the BP station at Barracks Road?
Sorry Ralph, ....... I'm late reading your post ...... yup , it's on Barracks rd. Do you think it's truely 47 min. cetane?