bought a 2015 Passat 6M today

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
18,200 miles for $15.3k. I purchased from a local non-VW used car dealer. I purchased assuming it would not be eligible for any dieselgate claims. Not a salvage or rebuilt title. So how do I tell if the emissions modification has been done?

edit- found the modification sticker, not in an obvious place. Anyway nice to be back in a TDI, my temporary replacement 02 A4 was ok for a while but the low torque and 3000+ highway rpm of the 1.8t was getting old.

The sticker says "proof of partial completion" - so what is my incentive to take it in for part 2 of the modification?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The sticker says "proof of partial completion" - so what is my incentive to take it in for part 2 of the modification?
The only incentive is that you get hardware for free that might fail over time. No compensation.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
^^^ Wrong.
You should be elligible for 1/3 of the restitution amount upon completing the final stage of modification.

Should be around $2,500 for your car.

You can enter in your information to start a claim on https://claims.vwgoa.com and it will tell you exactly how much you are eligible to receive with the final stage.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was operating under the assumption that this was a previously bought back car that was fixed by VW and then auctioned off for resale. If that's the case the owner isn't eligible for any additional compensation. If it's a car that an owner had the first stage of the fix completed, then sold, I believe you're right that it'll be eligible for some compensation when Stage 2 is completed. So additional info is needed to determine whether or not any money is coming the new owner's way.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
I have heard both cases. Can you back up your claim with proof? I have a 15 GSW that i bought as CPO from VW and am wondering the same thing. I can't find anything stating that cars bought directly from VW to do NOT get the stage 2 compensation even though people have stated this

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
The claims portal says it's eligible - got to the submit documents stage. However, I suspect I would be turned down once they review the documents. Went into purchase not expecting anything further than the deal I got. Happy with that.

I still am curious why they would expect owners in this situation to go in for part 2 of the fix. I get the few pieces of new hardware, is the extra warranty coverage tied to part 2?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
@ IndigoBlueWagon,
I was assuming that it was not a car that VW bought back because the OP stated he bought it from a non-VW dealer.

If it was bought back, and fixed by VW then I would assume there would not be any additional compensation for the final stage of modification.

@ 3fordasho and Freeze Plug,
I am unsure if a fixed car sold by VW will be eligible for compensation upon emissions modification completion, but if I were in your shoes I'd submit my documents on the portal, and let VW decide.

It can't hurt to try.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
@

@ 3fordasho and Freeze Plug,
I am unsure if a fixed car sold by VW will be eligible for compensation upon emissions modification completion, but if I were in your shoes I'd submit my documents on the portal, and let VW decide.

It can't hurt to try.

And try I will.

Car was sold new in Bismark ND. Next title record was on 5/18/17 in Michigan with 18,084 miles. My now sold back JSW is now titled in Michigan so I assume the Passat was a VW buyback just like my JSW. Perhaps then sent to auction for any dealer to resell?

Dealer I just purchased from is in no way affiliated with VW.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
And try I will.

Car was sold new in Bismark ND. Next title record was on 5/18/17 in Michigan with 18,084 miles. My now sold back JSW is now titled in Michigan so I assume the Passat was a VW buyback just like my JSW. Perhaps then sent to auction for any dealer to resell?

Dealer I just purchased from is in no way affiliated with VW.

If VW is unloading "bought back" cars via auctions then anyone can snatch them up. Isn't VWoA main office in Michigan? That'd make sense.

Ask the dealer where they bought the car from?

I'm guessing the portal is real way to tell if you're able to get any additional compensation, plan for nothing and be surprised if you get anything.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Finally some good deals starting to be reported. I'd say $15.3k for a 2015 with those low miles and a 6 MT is a nice score for sure. I've never driven an NMS Passat. I'd love to drive one back to back with a JSW for comparison.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
Finally some good deals starting to be reported. I'd say $15.3k for a 2015 with those low miles and a 6 MT is a nice score for sure. I've never driven an NMS Passat. I'd love to drive one back to back with a JSW for comparison.
I've been looking on and off and when this one became available only 20 minutes down the road I couldn't pass it up. Many in the Minneapolis/St Paul area but all were at least $19k+ with more miles.

Coming from a '12 JSW I find the powertrain dynamics to be very similar in the Passat ie great torque where you need it in every day driving, no need to downshift at highway speeds when you encounter hills, fuel economy on par with what I was experiencing in the JSW. Engine seems a bit quieter and more "refined". In no way did I think the fix "neutered" the car in any way.

I haven't driven it enough to do a handling comparison, but nothing negative to report so far, a bit less road noise vs the JSW.

I was concerned about cargo space and usability coming from the sportwagen, but the Passat should be pretty adequate in this regard with the rear seats folded down. One things for sure, if you ever have adults in the back seats the Passat wins hands down.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Good News

I've been looking on and off and when this one became available only 20 minutes down the road I couldn't pass it up. Many in the Minneapolis/St Paul area but all were at least $19k+ with more miles.

Coming from a '12 JSW I find the powertrain dynamics to be very similar in the Passat ie great torque where you need it in every day driving, no need to downshift at highway speeds when you encounter hills, fuel economy on par with what I was experiencing in the JSW. Engine seems a bit quieter and more "refined". In no way did I think the fix "neutered" the car in any way.

I haven't driven it enough to do a handling comparison, but nothing negative to report so far, a bit less road noise vs the JSW.

I was concerned about cargo space and usability coming from the sportwagen, but the Passat should be pretty adequate in this regard with the rear seats folded down. One things for sure, if you ever have adults in the back seats the Passat wins hands down.
I think you did well. My friend bought a 6M 2015 Passat with 99K miles. Paid 13K+. Gets fantastic mileage, high 40's on interstate sustained driving.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Only downside I've noticed with the Passat is the rear deck lid of the trunk seems pretty low, this was compared to the Jetta Sedan which had a good 3-5" more height, from trunk floor to rear deck. That and the trunk has the swing arm hinges that the area under need to be clear otherwise you'll crush what evers under it when you close it.

Other than that not bad and rear seat room and cabin space are flat out amazing.